My Slightly Short List. Help please?

Hello, I’ve posted a couple of times before, but yesterday I really sat down and worked on my mad list of names. I have refined it but there are still a lot of names. I am not expecting but am a total name nerd and would love input and suggestions.

[name]Catriona[/name] (sounds the same as [name]Katrina[/name])
[name]Kerry[/name]
[name]Bronwen[/name]
[name]Eilidh[/name]
[name]Bethan[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] ( I would probably use [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name])
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Mairi[/name] (MAH ree)
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Mattea[/name] (odd on a Scottish child?)
[name]Rhonwen[/name]
[name]Jessica[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]

You all have such great opinions, I’d be grateful to hear any!

Honest opinions, and as always take with a teeny tiny grain of salt since of course everyone has their own taste (you’d probably look at my list and roll your eyes!):

[name]Catriona[/name] (sounds the same as [name]Katrina[/name]) - I fear this would most often be pronounced [name]Cat[/name]-ree-oh-nuh when read (at least in my area, maybe where you are people are more familiar with it!), and spelled [name]Katrina[/name] when heard.

[name]Kerry[/name] - I knew a [name]Kerry[/name] once. I prefer [name]Keri[/name] and [name]Carrie[/name] personally, and more as a nickname but I like [name]Keri[/name] as a standalone.

[name]Bronwen[/name] - Not my own style but I still like it a lot. Bronnie and Weni are cute nns.

[name]Eilidh[/name] - You’ll have pronunciation issues, but it’s still lovely.

[name]Bethan[/name] - You’ll run into issues with people thinking it’s a typo.

[name]Rowan[/name] - Very accessible and I love the gender-neutral appeal. Makes me think of a nature girl, which I love.

[name]Rose[/name] - Refreshing as a first name.

[name]Anna[/name] - I like [name]Anna[/name] (and [name]Anne[/name]) best as a nn, but if you want nickname-proof this is one of the best.

[name]Nell[/name] (I would probably use [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name]) - I love [name]Penelope[/name], have personal association issues with [name]Eleanor[/name] so I can’t comment in a meaningful way on it. [name]Nell[/name] still makes me think of the [name]Jodie[/name] [name]Foster[/name] movie/character, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

[name]Maia[/name] - I’m starting to feel over [name]Maia[/name]/[name]Maya[/name]. I knew a couple in high school, and it’s become very popular for new babies, and I feel like there’s one in every TV show I watch. To me, it’s the new [name]Amanda[/name], but it may be by chance that I’ve been so oversaturated with it.

[name]Mara[/name] - [name]Mara[/name] has always felt a little like “you could do better” to me. I like many of your options over [name]Mara[/name].

[name]Mairi[/name] (MAH ree) - Again pronunciation and spelling issues, but I love the look of it. [name]Just[/name] reading it I would pronounce it MY-ree, shows what I know!

[name]Laura[/name] - Classic, hard to go wrong here.

[name]Mattea[/name] (odd on a Scottish child?) - Makes me think of “Madea” (madea - Google Search), but I’m sure it wouldn’t be a lasting issue… that won’t be a cultural issue for too long. I think it’s a lovely name outside of that.

[name]Rhonwen[/name] - Same as [name]Bronwen[/name] but this one feels a bit more masculine.

[name]Jessica[/name] - Another one I feel like won’t work for my generation, at least within my region. I knew a million Jessicas growing up.

[name]Hermione[/name] - A lovely name, I almost wish it didn’t have the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] link - though it definitely wouldn’t have become so accessible/popular without it.

[name]Vera[/name] - This one hasn’t escaped “old lady” for me, the way that many vintage names have.

You mentioned it being a Scottish child, does that mean you live in [name]Scotland[/name]? If so, many of my pronunciation/spelling comments may be moot! I’m in the US, so that obviously colors my opinions on that front.

Thankyou for your opinions. Yes, I do live in [name]Scotland[/name] (I probably should have mentioned that!) so yes some of your concerns over pronnounciation wouldn’t be a problem here. [name]Catriona[/name] is much more common than [name]Katrina[/name] and [name]Eilidh[/name] is well in the top 100!

[name]Kerry[/name] is a bit nicknamey and I have been considering using [name]Kerensa[/name] with the nn [name]Kerry[/name] but I’m not sure.

Thanks again for the input!

I love that!