My son's suggestion

We were reading a bedtime story last night and my son turned to me and said, “We should name my baby brother [name_u]Baldwin[/name_u]” as it was a character in the story. What do you guys think?

Unfortunately clunky.

It’s not bad and I like the nn [name_u]Win[/name_u]

Makes me think of [name_m]Alec[/name_m] [name_u]Baldwin[/name_u] and his brothers. I don’t like it as a first name.

Precisely. And starting with “bald” could make for some unfortunate built-in teasing.

It’s nms, but it would fit right in with all the other surname names for boys which are so popular at the moment. Only problem is the “bald” bit, which might be awkward if he loses his hair in later life.

Hmmm, good point. Especially as his dad is shall we say, follicularly challenged. I was trying to focus on the original meaning of it which is “bold” but that doesn’t make much of a comeback to schoolyard teasing.

I like it and I also like the nickname [name_u]Win[/name_u].

Too risky because of the bald part. There are soooo many names out there to choose from without one with a high potential for teasing.

You could drop the B if you are concerned about the [name_m]Bald[/name_m] part and teasing. Try out [name_m]Aldwin[/name_m].

(and just an FYI baldness is an X related gene gets passed on by the mother, not the father)

Not a fan.

I am not personally a fan at all. I enjoy quite a few surnames as first names, but not this one. Sorry.