Myles Oliver... too hipster?

Hello! My husband and I really love the name [name_m]Myles[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], but we’re a little afraid it may turn out being a hipster name… Opinions?

What do you mean by hipster? I think it’s a pretty trendy sounding name, but also a very lovely name (although I think the y is unnecessary). Isn’t ‘hipster’ supposed to be like underground/alternative cool, in a try-hard way? If that’s what you mean, I wouldn’t worry, I think these names are both solidly mainstream popular, not pretentious at all.

Your definition of a hipster is as good as I can explain it. :slight_smile: I just don’t want anything too trendy or popular. Thanks for your reply!

I find [name_m]Miles[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] to be really, really classic, actually! I wouldn’t expect it to be a hipster name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a classic one. It has some nice literary and historical ties, too ([name_m]Oliver[/name_m] Twist, [name_m]Myles[/name_m] Standish–who I hear had a negative image, but I always used to love the story of the Pilgrims–[name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Davis[/name_m]…).

I think it great. I like trendy names though :stuck_out_tongue:

I think spelling it [name_m]Miles[/name_m] would feel less trendy, but if [name_m]Myles[/name_m] is your preference, I wouldn’t worry about it. I think [name_m]Milo[/name_m] is more hipster than [name_m]Miles[/name_m]/[name_m]Myles[/name_m].

Thank you, everyone! This helps.

If you went with the spelling [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], I think that’s a pretty timeless boys name. It might be trendy right now, but I don’t think it will date as much as the more modern hipster names.

I agree - it’s climbing and I won’t be surprised if it hits Top 50 or even Top 20, but it’s a classic. Hipster would be [name_m]Milo[/name_m]. I know three of those and only one [name_m]Miles[/name_m] and I live in Hipster Central.

I love [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]! Please drop the Y. It makes a very masculine name feel slightly feminine and trendy. I don’t think it’s remotely hipster. I only know 1 little [name_m]Miles[/name_m]!

I’d opt for [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Olivier[/name_m], but either version is solid.

First of all, let me say that I think its a very handsome name. If you are worried about trends and popularity though, check out the SSA baby name list (if you are in the US). [name_m]Miles[/name_m] curently sits at #115 and was #228 10 years ago. [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] currently sits at #52 and was #245 10 years ago. So yes, both have been on the rise, but nothing dramatic since some names jump that much in just one year, not ten.

It’s a name that I’m hearing more for little guys (one of my friends now has a [name_m]Miles[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]) but I don’t think it’s too popular. It’s a cute name, and I’d keep considering it. I do prefer the [name_m]Miles[/name_m] spelling (which makes it look more classic).