Name Advice

My husband and I are expecting our first, and we are letting the gender be a surprise! We’ve come up with several names but can’t come to a final decision…we’ve narrowed it down to 2(ish) for each gender. We want good ole’ Southern names…What do you think? :slight_smile:

Boy:
Lucus [name]Mason[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name] Drayke

Girl:
[name]Annslee[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Emory[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]

Opinions???

I’m not Southern, or even American!. but personally prefer Lucus and [name]Emory[/name].

Is [name]Annslee[/name] pn. like [name]Ainsley[/name] or is it actually [name]Ann[/name]-slee?
Also, I would spell Drayke properly, like [name]Drake[/name].

[name]Hi[/name] and welcome to nameberry, we always encourage people to use the traditional spelling of the names that they have chosen therefore my list would be,

Boy:
[name]Lucas[/name] [name]Mason[/name] This is a strong modern name
[name]Thomas[/name] [name]Drake[/name] This is a good combo although I am not sold on [name]Drake[/name]. I like [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name].

Girl: Are you honouring family members with the middle name?

[name]Ainsley[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] alternative [name]Alice[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Emery[/name] [name]Lynn[/name] alternative [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Aurora[/name] (you get both the [name]Em[/name] and [name]Lynn[/name] element in [name]Emmeline[/name])

I am not sure what ‘good ole southern names’ are but I will have a go.

It looks like you prefer unisex names for a daughter but I was of the understanding that southern names were very feminine in some cases frilly, so your names have thrown me off track.

My suggestions would be something like
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Luella[/name] but I would use this as a nn for [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Letitia[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Geraldine[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Alicia[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Donata[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]

Hey guys, thanks for replying!
All of the names are family names, or varients of…the spelling of Drayke is my mothers Maiden name. Lucus is after my late brother. [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Lynn[/name] are my Aunts names that I love very much…

[name]Ann[/name] is my mom-in-loves name, lee is my husbands middle name, so I figured putting that together would be nice for both of them…it would be pronounced exactly as spelled…

[name]Emory[/name] was my late cousin’s name whom I was very close with. We would probably call her [name]Emory[/name] [name]Lynn[/name] so that it wouldn’t be more of a memorial and less of a “tear jerker”.

[name]Mason[/name] is the only name that is one that we just LIKE as opposed to being after someone…

I probably should have provided an explanation to begin with. :slight_smile:

Typically, in the area I am from, “southern names” tend to be family names or combinations of them. In this area, we tend to do a lot of double-names and combining of the husband and wife’s family names to create new traditions…Our families are both complelty torn as to what they prefer too, so I figured I would get some outside opinions! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Anna[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] would make a pretty double first name for a girl that would honor both your m-i-l and your aunt.

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Emory[/name] flows nicely also, and honors your cousin as well (I also think that with [name]Emory[/name] having the tendency to be such a strong reminder of the tragic and untimely loss of a loved one, it is better in the middle spot).

I like the name [name]Lucas[/name] a lot, with a strong preference for this traditional spelling because it makes things easier for the child. So, I think if you use it in the first name spot, you should definitely spell it [name]Lucas[/name], but if you use it as a middle then you may choose to spell it the same way as your brother did to enhance the honor. As much as I do love the name, again (like with [name]Emory[/name]) because of it being a reminder of your loss, I think I also prefer it in the middle).

Some suggestions with mn [name]Lucas[/name]:

[name]Solomon[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]

(not sure, though, if any of those are your style. The only name you mentioned liking is [name]Mason[/name]. [name]Mason[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] could work, but it’s not my favorite, and I think [name]Mason[/name] unfortunately will have the tendency to sound dated in the future).

Another possibility is to bring an element of your husband’s name into the first name. What is your husband’s first name?
[name]Lee[/name] probably won’t work, but do you like [name]Leland[/name] or [name]Levi[/name]?
I actually really like [name]Leland[/name] [name]Lucas[/name] (and I also think [name]Anna[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Leland[/name] make a great sibset), but you might be put off by the back to back L’s.

I agree with the spelling [name]Lucas[/name]…why would I make such a terrible typo twice?

Maybe because I’m at work and should be doing other things…haha!

I think it is great that you have such great relatives that you want your baby named after them. I also like the idea of new traditions. I would like to suggest to take all those meaningful names and blend them into a name already recognised as a traditional, vintage, modern or classic name depending on your style.

As I said before [name]Emory[/name] [name]Lyn[/name] could be [name]Emmeline[/name], this would be in keeping of naming trends of today and it also honours your relatives.

Let us know if you want us to suggest names to honour your relatives or if you just wish us to vote for our favourite name from your list.

Lucus [name]Mason[/name]: I think [name]Lucas[/name] is handsome (I love [name]Luke[/name], too), but I don’t think it flows very well with [name]Mason[/name].

[name]Thomas[/name] Drayke: I think this is great (and thanks for explaining the spelling, because I was confused)! :slight_smile:

Girl:
[name]Annslee[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]: [name]Annslee[/name] honestly looks trendy and “made up” to me, but I really love [name]Ruth[/name]! [name]Ainsley[/name] is another name you may like.

Names to honor an [name]Ann[/name]:

[name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Annelise[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Annalee[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] (a lot of people love [name]Annalee[/name], but I have to admit that it reminds me of the word “anally.” :slight_smile:

Some names you may like to honor a [name]Lee[/name]:

[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name]

[name]Emory[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]: I think [name]Emory[/name] is sweet, but [name]Lynn[/name] feels very dated to me.

If [name]Emory[/name] is too difficult to use as a first name, you could alway go with something like [name]Emmeline[/name].

Some more ways to honor a [name]Lynn[/name] (not with [name]Emory[/name], though):

[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]

I’m so sorry about your brother and cousin passing away… :frowning:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Thomas[/name] Drayke sounds gorgeous! [name]Lucas[/name] Drayke sounds strong and interesting and would honor both your mother and your brother.
I agree that perhaps [name]Emory[/name] would be better used as a middle. It makes a beautiful first name too though, so place it where you will.
I love that your family is so close and that they mean so much to you, good luck : )