Name angst

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] momberries! Hoping you can help me with some name angst. DD2 is almost 8 mos, named [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and have been calling her “[name_f]Cate[/name_f]”. DD1 is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]” [name_u]Rae[/name_u]. I am not sure what it is, but [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] “[name_f]Cate[/name_f]” doesn’t seem to fit. [name_f]My[/name_f] reservations about it have been that I know many people with the name, it’s boring, has a “royal” association; I got over it by thinking it is so common that there are no insurmountable associations and I don’t know many who spell it with a C. It took us very long to decide; our original choice was [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] but DH has two coworkers who recently used it so it seemed too popular. We considered many options (runner-up was [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] but in hospital I had a strong preference for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f])… it was DH’s favorite, my mom’s favorite, went well with DD1’s name. But now I feel strange using it.

I am considering calling her by her middle name instead because it is much less common (also love the nickname “[name_u]Lou[/name_u]” which feels fresher), but would have to deal with telling everyone the change, confusing DD1 who is only 2yo, and it is very similar to my first name. I still have angst over DD1’s name, which took a long time to get used to, and I wonder if it just the same mistake made twice: first names chosen mainly for practicality and middles chosen for fun. Feeling like we should have just swapped first and middles! :confused:

DH thinks I am crazy (I probably am) but is supportive of doing whatever would help me overcome the angst. He expressed opinions throughout the naming process but ultimately left the decisions up to me. He loves the mn also. What do you think I should do? Thank you for reading and your thoughts. x

1 Like

Don’t be worried! [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is a beautiful name!!

You could call her [name_u]Ren[/name_u] or [name_f]Carrie[/name_f]? Maybe [name_f]Erin[/name_f] or Caty [name_u]Lou[/name_u]…

No don’t feel like you need to switch the first and middles!

1 Like

I have a [name_f]Kate[/name_f], no long form, but she was almost [name_f]Katia[/name_f]. I thought actually that I would call her Miss [name_f]Katia[/name_f] from time to time, as a long nickname, but rarely have. She’s just [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. However, I don’t see why you couldn’t take [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and have a bit of fun.

Catia
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Rina[/name_f]
[name_f]Catarina[/name_f]
Cata-[name_u]Lou[/name_u]
[name_f]Rina[/name_f]-[name_u]Lou[/name_u]

For what it’s worth, I think [name_f]Cate[/name_f] with a C is a lot more uncommon and unroyal than [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. If you’d gone with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], you’d be in sort of the same boat, and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] is less so, but with so many [name_f]Lily[/name_f] variations, you might have regretted it also. Practicality doesn’t have to be boring, so I would try and find a way to love her name and make it more fun, unexpected, and maybe classic with a modern nickname is the way to go. The best of both worlds. If all else fails and you can’t find a silver lining to [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Cate[/name_f], I would start calling her [name_u]Lou[/name_u]. She’s young enough not to know better and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] will adjust. For instance, we told my 4 year old that any future babies would be X and then we later backtracked and changed our minds. He called us out on it a few times, haha. But now he refers to a future sibling by their future name just like we do. And the old X name is long forgotten. So I think if you went with [name_u]Lou[/name_u] it would be okay and I don’t think it’s too close to [name_u]Lisa[/name_u]. I go by [name_f]Lili[/name_f] and I have a [name_m]Leo[/name_m]–no issues. You can make this work, you have options. Good luck!

1 Like

Catherine [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is absolutely gorgeous! I like the idea of trying out another nn. Maybe [name_f]Kat[/name_f]/Cat or [name_u]Kit[/name_u] would suit her! I really think she will grow into her name!

1 Like

I second [name_f]Caity[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u]! Her full name is very pretty and plenty of people have multiple nicknames, so I don’t think it would be much of a problem to introduce another one and overtime have it overtake [name_f]Cate[/name_f] if it fits… You could also call her [name_f]Cat[/name_f], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], or [name_u]Kit[/name_u]. Slightly less intuitive, but there’s also [name_f]Trina[/name_f], [name_f]Cara[/name_f], [name_f]Carrie[/name_f], or even [name_f]Erin[/name_f]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s spelled with a C you could call her [name_f]Kae[/name_f] ([name_u]Cay[/name_u]?) which I’m partial to because it’s the name of my favorite relative. Or [name_f]Cece[/name_f]! I’d say play around with nicknames and see what seems to fit her personality.

I know of a [name_m]Henry[/name_m] who started going full time by a nickname at three or four and it seems to have been a fine transition. I think kids change nicknames frequently enough that it would be okay if you decide [name_f]Cate[/name_f]’s not the right one for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f].

1 Like

Thank you all for the great advice and suggestions!! This really helps a lot. I like the idea of trying another nickname to see if something else “fits” better. I think [name_f]Cate[/name_f] is classic and beautiful, but maybe need something more cute for her as another alternative while she is little. DH calls her Thrinnie sometimes, which is kind of like his special name for her. I like [name_f]Catey[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u] and love CeCe, seems like a perfect baby nickname. I appreciate the encouraging words, you’ve made this anxious mama breathe a sigh of relief! x

3 Likes