Name baby after hometown?

See the results of this poll: Which name would you choose for a boy?

Respondents: 33 (This poll is closed)

• Canyon Robert: 4 (12%)
  • Syler Robert: 12 (36%)
  • Oakley Robert: 17 (52%)

To be honest, the -lee ending sounds a little girly to me, and very matchy-matchy with your girls.

I prefer Syler, which is an excellent unique name, but retains the ‘y’ connection to your girls - you could go for a pattern that way?

[name]Edit[/name]: Syler makes me think of [name]Zachary[/name] [name]Quinto[/name]'s character from Heroes. Any association with [name]Zachary[/name] [name]Quinto[/name] is a definite plus :slight_smile:

I think you can use [name]Oakley[/name] for a girl! In fact, the only time I’ve heard that name on a real person, she was female. I’d find a boy’s name that was more distinctly masculine. I’m not a huge fan of Syler as it feels too manufactured to me. Why not [name]Silas[/name], [name]Cyrus[/name], or [name]Tyler[/name]?

Probably because of [name]Annie[/name] [name]Oakley[/name], I’d expect [name]Oakley[/name] to be a girl. -ey names in general are becoming female, so I don’t think you’ll have any problems with this one.

[name]EDIT[/name]: I was confused by [name]Pam[/name]'s post immediately above. You’re looking at [name]Oakley[/name] for a boy.

Instead of the '‘lee’ ending why not go for the ‘ee’ ending eg

[name]Chloe[/name] I think it is close enough to the endings of your other children’s names but not quite as matchy.

Other ee names

[name]Julie[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Brittany[/name] (too trendy)
[name]Bridie[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]

I think Syler works better as [name]Silas[/name] and it is a nod to your home town too.

[name]Oakley[/name] doesn’t seem strong enough imo for a man. What about [name]Atticus[/name]?

or
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Ryder[/name]
[name]Jeremiah[/name]
[name]Jared[/name]
[name]Mitchell[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Lawrence[/name]

I think Syler is an EXCELLENT alternative to the grossly overused [name]Tyler[/name]. Also, it gives off a similar feel to [name]Silas[/name] without the (dare I say) creepier sound.

I think [name]Oakley[/name] would be a great choice if your little one is a girl!

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have my top names picked out already for both boys and girls, which is why there was the specific question and poll. [name]Atticus[/name]- NMS at all.

[name]Oakley[/name] just reminds me of trees, and not to mention sunglasses. I have met two, both were boys. I dont think it really works well for either gender. Syler would be my pick.

Others you might like:
[name]Weston[/name]
[name]Brett[/name]
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Ryder[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]Louden[/name]
[name]Brady[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]

Girls:
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Marley[/name]
[name]Carley[/name]

I also think a name that ended in just -ee would work too. [name]Sadie[/name] or [name]Laney[/name] would be cute.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, but I have my top names picked out already for both boys and girls. Not looking for new options, just looking for opinions on what I have listed.

I voted for [name]Canyon[/name]. [name]Skyler[/name] is a girls name.

I voted for [name]Canyon[/name], as I like the nature element. However I’m not sure about it with your daughters’ names. [name]Just[/name] some thoughts about your other names: Syler was serial killer on the TV show Heroes (just something to consider), and when I think of [name]Oakley[/name], I think of the sunglasses. These just don’t feel like real names (whatever that means).

Good luck!

It’s not [name]Skyler[/name], it’s Syler.

With [name]Kiley[/name], [name]Brynlee[/name], and [name]Hadley[/name] I would not go with an -ey name for a boy. While I think the story behind [name]Oakley[/name] is great, it sounds very feminine to me with your other children’s names. [name]Canyon[/name] doesn’t feel right with your daughters names, as it is a very different style. I’m not in love with Syler because it does sound made up but of the names you listed that would be your best choice. It sounds masculine and does fit the style of names your daughter’s have. That being said, I think they are better options out there- but if your mind is made, I’d definitely go with Syler [name]Robert[/name].

I normally would have voted for [name]Oakley[/name] I think but with your girls it doesn’t seem masculine enough. Seeing all the names together, I would think they were all girls. I voted for Syler - I think that’s a great fit!

Again, thanks for the suggestions, but I have my top names picked out already for both boys and girls. Not looking for new options, just looking for opinions on what I have listed.[/quote]

If you dont mind me asking, what girls names do you have picked out?

[name]Brynlee[/name] and [name]Hadley[/name] were also nature names (don’t think so for [name]Kiley[/name]). I like [name]Oakley[/name], and I know a BOY named [name]Oakley[/name], unlike what a lot of posters are saying. I think it’s a great name for a boy. I do agree that the -[name]LEE[/name] endings are maybe too matchy, but especially if it’s your last one then if you love [name]Oakley[/name], go for it.

I have never ever heard Syler. Doesn’t mean I couldn’t get used to it.

[name]Canyon[/name] is an interesting choice too. Did you have a nickname picked out to go with it? I like this better than Syler.

I love [name]Oakley[/name] for a boy, especially with your hometown connection. I don’t think it sounds especially feminine.

Syler is really cool! I don’t think I would choose [name]Oakley[/name], since it sounds like another girl name with your sibset.

I voted for [name]Oakley[/name]. I do like Syler though.

If this is your last, id like [name]Oakley[/name] the best even though id expect a girl. If you are having another child though, id give him Syler so maybe the next doesnt have an -ey ending and he wouldt be alone without the -ey ending.

[name]Oakley[/name] itself does sound masculine but i like it for a girl too.

I actually like all of the names for a boy! I might have voted for [name]Canyon[/name] if it was [name]Cannon[/name] instead. I voted for Syler because Siler was on my list for awhile. Good Lukc!