Name Change?

[name]Hi[/name], everyone!
Lately, I’ve been considering a name change–no, no, nothing too drastic! I don’t mean first or last name, but middle.

My full name is [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Kaye[/name] [name]Watt[/name]…[name]Sydney[/name] for my maternal grandfather, [name]Sidney[/name] nn [name]Sid[/name], and [name]Kaye[/name] for my maternal grandmother, [name]Wanda[/name] [name]Kay[/name] “[name]Kaye[/name]”. I love that I’m named for my family, but [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Kaye[/name]? I don’t know, it just sounds so southern (I was born and live in [name]Texas[/name], so I can say this, haha). And it’s so short. Not at all like my personality.
My mom, who has had to put up with my name fetishes forever, and I have talked of alternatives for quite a while, but it was only recently that she said, “Hey, let’s look into this name changing business!”

What I had in mind was [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Watt[/name]. [name]Katherine[/name] would honor my maternal grandmother (who told us she likes the idea, by the way. She understands wanting to change one’s name, as she was known as [name]Wanda[/name]–[name]Wanda[/name]!–when she was younger). [name]Louisa[/name] would honor my paternal grandfather, [name]Louis[/name] (which is fitting, since he died right before I was born), my great-grandmother, [name]Lena[/name] [name]Louise[/name], and even to some extent, my other great-grandmother, [name]Lucille[/name]. [name]Ruby[/name] is for my paternal grandmother, [name]Ruth[/name]. (Since [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] Katherine Ruth sounds a bit like someone with a lisp. Also, I just prefer [name]Ruby[/name], haha.)

I like the regal sound to this name, the style, the meaning, and most of all, that it is a better representation of myself. Nothing’s set in stone yet–we’re just thinking about it. (: Is there anyone else on this site who has changed their name or thought of it? I’d love to hear stories!

NameGoddess

I haven’t changed my name, but I’ve actually been thinking of adding a second middle name-- it’s a kind of confusing situation where I got my dad’s middle name as sort of an unofficial second middle that I never use, and since I’m a name-nerd, I don’t like the idea of having a boy’s name as part of my name. Plus it’s an opportunity to put some of the name-nerdiness to actual use for myself, since I’m years away from having actual kids to name. :slight_smile: Maybe sometime in the future I’ll make my own thread asking for suggestions about it…

So anyway: I like [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name], but I think three middle names is way too much name. I absolutely love the name [name]Louisa[/name], and [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] sounds great, so if I were you I’d just go with that: [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Watt[/name]. And I’m a little confused-- is your maternal grandmother [name]Ruth[/name] or [name]Wanda[/name] [name]Kaye[/name]? [name]Sydney[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Watt[/name] would be nice, but then you would have to skip [name]Kaye[/name]/[name]Katherine[/name]…

Good luck! :slight_smile: