Name Change!

So I’ve never really liked my name. It’s [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_f]Janet[/name_f], something my mother really put no thought into, just looked at what was popular and what other parents were naming there kids at the time, [name_f]Janet[/name_f] for my aunt. After becoming further and further estranged from her by the toxic cycle of continual abuse from her, I’ve moved to a large city, graduated college, and became independent. I’ve always wanted to change my name as part of the things I did before I turned twenty, advice and thoughts would be helpful, thank you!

Cordelia-I’ve loved this name since I read it in [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, and it’s always been my dream name since I was a child.However, according to my colleagues, the law-firm I’ll be working at is very competitive and cutthroat and I worry that [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] might be too frilly/girly/romantic and that I won’t be taken seriously.

Theodora-I also like this name, and it seems more serious than [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], because of the ‘[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]’ association. It has the ‘dora’ ending which I like, and looks good on paper as well.

Beatrice-I like this name because of it’s similarities to [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and the more serious feel. But sometimes, it sounds like ‘Beet-triss’,which makes it unappealing to me.

1 Like

I feel like you resonate the most with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and if that is the name you love than you should go for it.

4 Likes

I agree that [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] sounds like the name you really love. I also don’t think it’s too frilly to be taken seriously! I can totally picture a lawyer/businesswoman/CEO/doctor etc called [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f].

4 Likes

I definitely agree, it’s not too frilly or girly at all. It sounds strong and confident. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] sounds like a woman in charge!

2 Likes

I’ve known quite a few Cordelias, including some “serious” adults, and I certainly don’t think it’s too frilly or girly! It really sounds like the name for you.

Cordelia feels serious, intelligent and strong to me :slight_smile:

How do you feel about [name_f]Thea[/name_f]? To me that’s a perfect mix between [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Theadora[/name_f].
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] is pretty but strong sounding.
I don’t really like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] much sorry to me it sounds quite harsh.
I would probably go for another J middle name only because the initials TJ or CJ in business world sound pretty cool.

1 Like

Cordelia could totally work. If anything, it’s refined and feminine without being too much.

Yup, agree with others. I can feel your love for [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I think its perfect :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:

Cordelia is a fantastic name, and I actually see it as a pretty serious/strong one if that matters. If you love it, go for it!

I agree with everyone else. I think [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is the one for you. I think you would be taken seriously if you had this name!

It sounds like you love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], and I think it could work for an adult in a competitive environment. I don’t think it’s too frilly at all.