Name compatibility

Hypothetically, do you think any of these names could work for a brother for [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]? Please be honest if you think they’re too ‘out there’ to be compatible with such an old-fashioned/vintage/classic name. Thanks for your opinions! :slightly_smiling_face:

Asa
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_m]Knox[/name_m]
[name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Zion[/name_u]

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is such a pretty name!
I think they’re all quite modern next to [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], and not quite what I’d expect as a brother to her, but out of them I think [name_u]Asa[/name_u], [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] and [name_u]Sage[/name_u] work the best! [name_u]Asa[/name_u] actually has a long history and it is technically a vintage name, it just sounds modern.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I know, I think it’s so cool that the name [name_u]Asa[/name_u] has different meanings in different cultures! I know it’s in the bible so technically a vintage/classic but it just sounds so refreshing :smile:

1 Like

I do think that most of them are mismatched in style–much more modern. Except [name_u]Asa[/name_u], which has roots as old as [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. It just doesn’t seem like it because it was never really popular like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] was, making it not really feel as vintage. But I think [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_u]Asa[/name_u] could work very well together! :slight_smile:

Dorothy and [name_u]Asa[/name_u] works

Initially I looked and thought none of them seemed to be stylistically compatible.
But actually [name_u]Asa[/name_u] and [name_m]Knox[/name_m] could suit!

Compatibility aside I do love [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] for a boy :slight_smile:

Hi there.

I don’t know that all of these go perfectly w/Dorothy, but none of them clash necessarily. If you really love them, I wouldn’t let the fact that they’re different styles stop you from using them. The only thing that I would say should keep you from using a name you love is maybe if it rhymed w/Dorothy or was too similar like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m].

Anyway, that all being said, here are my thoughts on the list:

Asa-I adore this name. It’s super unique, old fashioned, interesting but simple, masculine & outdoorsy but gentle too. And I think it actually goes well [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]!

Atlas-A slightly different style, but a nice name. Getting oddly popular I feel like. But it has a cool vibe.

Indigo-I kind of love this for a girl, so I don’t see it for a boy. It’s not super girly or anything, but just more feminine than masculine in my opinion.

Knox-This is posh & darling. It’s not too over done, but not overly complicated. I like it.

Phoenix-This is cool, & I have it on my mn list. I have a hard time seeing it as a fn, just because it’s so fiery. It could work though.

River-Aw, I love this one too. Very outdoorsy but thoughtful & artsy feeling too.

Sage-I don’t know. I feel like it’s too feminine for a boy & too masculine for a girl.

Zion-This is probably my least favorite from the list. Not sure why. It’s just kind of not that pleasant to the ears in my opinion.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

They all pretty modern but I really like [name_u]Atlas[/name_u]. [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and Altas are cute together

Asa or [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] could definitely work.

[name_u]Asa[/name_u] and [name_u]River[/name_u] seem to work best imo!