Name connotations

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all!
There are several names that I like that can be associated with darker characters in popular media. I wanted to know if you thought I would be judged for using these names on a child. All of these names I like separately from the characters but they do have influence.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]- kidnapped you the underworld

[name_u]Ren[/name_u]- after [name_m]Kylo[/name_m] [name_u]Ren[/name_u], my favorite [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars character. This would most likely be used as a middle name for a little girl.

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]- Iā€™m not caught up with the 100 but this is for [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Blake[/name_u]. I know things got pretty bloody ( and maybe cannibalistic?) but I feel like she is a strong leader and I think the name is pretty on its own.

[name_m]Scorpius[/name_m]- the son of [name_m]Draco[/name_m] Malfoy. I know this is a bit harsh sounding and sounds like scorpion but I still like it.

[name_m]Enoch[/name_m]- I first heard this name on miss peregrines home for peculiar children and I do think of this character sometimes when I hear the name. He controls the dead

[name_m]Draco[/name_m]- after [name_m]Draco[/name_m] Malfoy my favorite [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character. I donā€™t see [name_m]Draco[/name_m] as the villain of the story personally. He didnā€™t really have a choice as he was just a child trying to please his family and in the end he did make the right choices. I know most peopleā€™s minds will go straight to this character when they hear the name as itā€™s a very widespread story and an uncommon name but I donā€™t really mind.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - I donā€™t think of this as being extremely dark. Yes, her story in Greek mythology is, but she wasnā€™t evil or anything.

[name_u]Ren[/name_u] - If heā€™s your favorite character, I wouldnā€™t worry about the connotations, especially as a middle name. I would prefer [name_u]Wren[/name_u] though.

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] - Never seen The 100. Shows are always coming in and out of style, so I definitely donā€™t think it would be an issue.

[name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] - Sounds way too much like scorpion for me. Could possibly work as a middle name.

[name_m]Enoch[/name_m] - Probably an obscure enough reference to avoid issues.

[name_m]Draco[/name_m] - I wouldnā€™t classify [name_m]Draco[/name_m] as a villain either, so itā€™s not a very negative or dark association for me. However, it is so overwhelmingly tied to [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] that Iā€™m not sure itā€™s usable.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - I never even made the link to the underworld! Given the popularity of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], I think people would just see it as a less common alternative.

[name_u]Ren[/name_u] - I prefer the spelling [name_u]Wren[/name_u], or maybe as a nickname for [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]. I donā€™t think it would be a problem.

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]- Never seen The 100, but Iā€™ve heard this name used before, so I imagine most people donā€™t make that link. Also, [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Spencer[/name_u] is an award winning actress, so there are definitely some goods to outweigh the bads.

[name_m]Scorpius[/name_m]- Not a fan of the name. Sounds harsh and Potterheads will almost immediately see the link. That said, [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] in and of himself wasnā€™t a bad character, so he doesnā€™t bring any negative connotations.

[name_m]Enoch[/name_m]- I first thought of British PM [name_m]Enoch[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m], then the Biblical character. I think youā€™ll be fine on this one.

[name_m]Draco[/name_m]- So tied to HP that I donā€™t think itā€™s really usable. Also, whilst you donā€™t see him as a villain, enough people do to make me think that this is one you canā€™t get away with.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]- I know the story isnt the best but i like how sheā€™s also associated with the return of summer. [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is nice.

[name_u]Ren[/name_u]- as a middle name for a girl, i think people could dissociate it easily from the character. It works well and is sweet

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]- i havent heard of the character and i think most people will just see [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] as just a name in itā€™s own right

[name_m]Scorpius[/name_m]- it is very associated with one character but itā€™s stilk quite a cool name. Iā€™d probably save it for a middle or pair it with something quite gentle like [name_u]Remy[/name_u] [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] or [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u]

[name_m]Enoch[/name_m]- Iā€™ve never heard of the character but i think itā€™s another name that would be seen in its own right rather than associated simply with one character

[name_m]Draco[/name_m]- i do really like the name - itā€™s cool and interesting but you would have to put up with people asking if itā€™s after [name_m]Draco[/name_m] Malfoy. If you dont mind that, then go for it but i donā€™t think that association will fade any time soon and as other posters have mentioned, many will still see your kid as named after a bully (even if heā€™s not strictly a villain)

The only ones that seem a bit ā€œiffyā€ to me are [name_m]Enoch[/name_m] (because of negative associations in British culture through [name_m]Enoch[/name_m] [name_m]Powell[/name_m] - Iā€™ve never heard of the fictional character), [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] (due to its similarity to ā€œscorpionā€) and [name_m]Draco[/name_m]. The others I think are fine and very useable.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - looove [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], and the mythological background behind it. I donā€™t think that should be an issue, especially as a pp mentioned, its closeness to popular [name_f]Penelope[/name_f].
[name_u]Ren[/name_u] - I have seen a lot of people use this because of [name_m]Kylo[/name_m], so I think it could work. Itā€™s not as obvious as using [name_m]Kylo[/name_m] itself. I personally prefer the [name_u]Wren[/name_u] spelling (especially because Iā€™m pretty sure [name_u]Ren[/name_u] is a Japanese boy name!)
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] - one of my absolute favorite characters! A great association to have, shes smart, strong, brave, so many good things! I donā€™t think many people would associate it with the show though. [name_m]Even[/name_m] a fan might not, I think [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is a well enough established name.
[name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] - I think this may be too much of a name for someone. Maybe could work as a middle!
[name_m]Enoch[/name_m] - I do like the books, and I think [name_m]Enoch[/name_m] is a normal enough name to not be associated with the character anyway.
[name_m]Draco[/name_m] - this will absolutely be associated with [name_m]Draco[/name_m] Malfoy. You said hes your favorite character though, so you might not mind it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] remember to consider the person wearing the name might not appreciate alllll of the references.

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is definitely a good connotation for me. Especially if you look beyond the standard ā€œoh she was kidnappedā€ and look at the interpretations where she chose to go to the Underworld. Plus, naming your child after a goddess is kinda neat if you ask me.

I love [name_u]Ren[/name_u] as a middle name, and honestly [name_m]Kylo[/name_m] isnā€™t my first association. [name_m]Even[/name_m] so, with the developments of the latest movie, I think youā€™re alright.

Not a huge fan of [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] personally, but since I havenā€™t watched the 100 that doesnā€™t have an association for me.

I kinda like [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m], and itā€™s not like [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] Malfoy is a bad person either.

[name_m]Enoch[/name_m] has way more of a biblical feel to me than any character (also havenā€™t read/watched Miss [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] so yeah).

I actually love [name_m]Draco[/name_m] (the name). And yeah, [name_m]Draco[/name_m] Malfoy wasnā€™t really a great person, but he should have had a redemption arc. However, youā€™re right that the first and only association for me with the name is HP, and as others have mentioned, a lot of people do see him as a villain, so Iā€™m less inclined to use this name for a real* person. *totally never named a character draco haha why do you ask

[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]- I donā€™t think that naming a kid this would cause them to be judged. If anything people will just identify that sheā€™s a goddess and thatā€™s cool.

[name_u]Ren[/name_u]- I think this is really cute! [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is [name_u]Wren[/name_u], the bird, not [name_m]Kylo[/name_m] [name_u]Ren[/name_u].

[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]- Never seen the 100, but the name itself just sounds kinda evil to me.

[name_m]Scorpius[/name_m]- I associate this with scorpions, not [name_m]Draco[/name_m]ā€™s son. I think that thatā€™s the thing that would be judged by others.

[name_m]Enoch[/name_m]- definitely associate this with Miss [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]ā€™s Home for Peculiar Children. Iā€™ve never seen it elsewhere, soā€¦ But the series isnā€™t SUPER popular still so not everyone would notice.

[name_m]Draco[/name_m]- though he may not be a villain, itā€™s an uncommon name that is very tied to [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. If someone named their kid something like [name_m]Harry[/name_m] or [name_m]Fred[/name_m], people probably wouldnā€™t associate it with [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] (until they reach the stage in grade school when EVERYBODY reads the books and then it would be all they could talk about) but names like [name_m]Draco[/name_m] and [name_m]Remus[/name_m] are names that Iā€™ve never seen anywhere BUT HP, so I would definitely associate it and others probably would as well. But if you donā€™t mind, then it doesnā€™t matter.

[name_m]Enoch[/name_m] is a [name_u]Flannery[/name_u] Oā€™[name_m]Connor[/name_m] name from ā€œWise Bloodā€. If Iā€™m remembering right, he was a fairly positive character.

I think [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] is useable. Itā€™s a bold choice and some people will think of the underworld but sheā€™s also tied to spring so thatā€™s positive.
In my opinion [name_u]Ren[/name_u] could work well as a middle name! Except for first names that sound like [name_m]Kylo[/name_m], like [name_f]Kaylee[/name_f] [name_u]Ren[/name_u].
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_m]Enoch[/name_m] are names that probably wonā€™t be only associated with the characters.
[name_m]Draco[/name_m] and [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] will always be connected with [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] for me. [name_m]Draco[/name_m] was indeed not a true villian but he was a bully, so heā€™s still not a great namesake. To me, [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] seems not very wearable as a first but it might work as a middle name.

In my opinion [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] and [name_m]Draco[/name_m] are the only two that are not useable. [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] just makes me think of a scorpion and do not find a scorpion fitting for a childā€™s name. [name_m]Draco[/name_m] in my mind is a pet name only because I did toss it around for my Huskys name and my Rottweilers name.

Ok. After hearing your guysā€™ thoughts [name_m]Scorpius[/name_m] is out and I feel much better about the girls names and [name_m]Enoch[/name_m]. There were mixed thoughts on [name_m]Draco[/name_m] but I just love it too much to let it go yet and my family likes it too.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if youā€™re still wanting feedback but I thought Iā€™d share some of my thoughts incase itā€™s still helpful!

Persephone - I donā€™t think of this as overly dark at all. Itā€™s a pretty name and there are definitely much darker characters in Greek mythology.

Ren - Iā€™ve never seen any [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars films so Iā€™m not entirely sure what the character is like. It reminds me more of [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and itā€™s also a Japanese name in its own right meaning ā€˜lotusā€™.

Octavia - Again, Iā€™ve never seen The 100 so I donā€™t know anything about the character! I donā€™t think itā€™s a massive pop culture association so I donā€™t think itā€™s too much of an issue. I think of [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Spencer[/name_u].

Enoch - The only association I have with the name is [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] [name_m]Enoch[/name_m]. I think this one would be fine.

Draco - The connection isnā€™t super dark but it is a lot more well known than some of these other names. Also as a child, they would likely see [name_m]Draco[/name_m] as a villain.

1 Like