Name connotations

When I was pregnant with my 1st, we picked the name [name_f]Orlena[/name_f] for a girl but unfortunately when I googled it, it was the name of a sex toy which put me right off ( we ended up having a boy so it didn’t matter in the end). For this pregnancy we are team green again, so picking out names for both genders is hard but I had settled on [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] for a girl. I googled it and up comes pages and pages of that horrid YouTuber [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] ( apologies in advance if you’re a fan, not trying to offend anyone). Of course the obvious advice is to stop googling names but I don’t want the poor child to be mocked by being named something with a weird connotation. Has this happened with anyone else, and did they move past it or simply chose another name?

Please stop Googling names. If you are more curious if a name is usable in today’s society, see how many people hold the name on Facebook or look at family history websites.

As for [name_f]Orlena[/name_f] being a sex toy and [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] being the middle name of a YouTuber, most people (especially kids) will not know any of this. Find a name you like and, unless there is an extremely well-known negative or specific topic (i.e. [name_m]Adolf[/name_m], for obvious reasons; [name_u]Gay[/name_u], which was a girls’ and boys’ name meaning cheerful or joyful long before it came to hold its current association; and [name_f]Fanny[/name_f], which is what butts in the US are called and a female’s private parts in the UK and Australia), consider the name. There are both negatives and positives to every name out there, so don’t let the examples with specific audiences put you off.

I’m won’t say anymore on [name_f]Orlena[/name_f] as that association is probably well set in your mind, but [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is an absolutely beautiful name. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t choose not to use it just because a YouTuber also holds the name, unless you truly can’t separate the two anymore. Good luck in choosing a name!

ETA: Thank you, @Greyblue, for bringing up on asking on here as well. I knew I forgot to add something on mine and I couldn’t quite figure out what it was.

5 Likes

Delphine [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] would be beautiful.

2 Likes

Delphine is a great name! I would still use it.

2 Likes

I have no idea who that Youtuber is so if that helps at all, I don’t think it will be people’s first association. [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is lovely. I’d say be careful when googling - ask somewhere like here instead or ask friends and family as they’ll be able to give yiu a better sense of what people really associate with the name

2 Likes

@shells15 has a very good point. Most kids won’t even know who these associations are by the time they are older. What’s even more is that you could pick a perfect name with no negative associations and a year or two after your baby is born some huge movie or TV show or popular book comes out with an unsavory main character that just happens to share your baby’s name. [name_m]How[/name_m] can you predict that? Aside from the obvious, just go with what you love.
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is so beautiful!

2 Likes