Name Conversations / Questions

I thought I’d bring back this thread!

I just heard about a kid who goes by [name_m]Pal[/name_m] as a nn, but his full name is pronounced PAL-uh-din. I only heard it and didn’t see it; do you guys have an idea how it may be spelled? I would love to add the full name to my list! :smiley:

1 Like

I would guess [name_m]Paladin[/name_m], apparently it’s the name of two Tolkien characters. It’s quite nice, actually!

2 Likes

I’m a little late, but I have to add; I would guess it is spelled [name_m]Paladin[/name_m]. It’s a real word for a type of knight in the medieval ages (and I believe ancient Rome?) and refers to a holy knight in role-playing fantasy games.

2 Likes

[name_m]Paladin[/name_m]! It’s a word name and an old favorite of mine.

1 Like

To any Polish speakers / anyone who can answer: what are the connotations of the name Grażyna? Is it a dated name? Is it still associated with the poem? I couldn’t find any information about this in [name_f]English[/name_f] and I noticed the name wasn’t on the recent Polish popularity charts.

@Rosebeth @katinka @grette05

It’s pretty dated now, yes. Most popular in the mid 20th century. I know one who is about 55 or so. It is associated with the poem (it was invented by Mickiewicz) but has been popular enough since that I don’t think it’s strongly “literary” in tone – more [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] than [name_f]Desdemona[/name_f].

Disclaimer that I am not Polish but speak the language and this is the “outsider’s” impression I have from my time in Poland.

2 Likes

To me Grażyna sounds a bit like a name for an old lady (which isn’t a bad thing necessarily). The only people I’ve met or have heard of named Grażyna were at least 55 years old. To be honest it feels dated to me, but I have to admit I’m not a huge fan of how it sounds anyway.
In Poland Mickiewicz is definitely someone they’re proud of, so most people there would associate it with the poem.

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I do agree with @katinka that the name is common enough for it not to be associated with the poem constantly, because most people are used to seeing it as a first name. But most people do know the poem.

1 Like

I did my degree in Russian and Polish. It’s an amazing language :poland: So interesting about the Grażyna meme, I’ve heard [name_m]Janusz[/name_m] used in that way but never Grażyna. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I taught my mom the idea of coming up with combos for the sake of it! I thought it was a little complicated or theoretical but she caught right on! Her first combo is in the combo of the day thread :muscle:

3 Likes

I can’t believe I didn’t think about posting this question here, but I’ve been wondering for quite a while how the names [name_f]Ambre[/name_f] and [name_m]Anders[/name_m] are typically pronounced?

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer my question? I did meet an [name_m]Andres[/name_m] (not to be confused with Anders) recently who pronounced his name ON-drehz, which I thought was interesting.

Also, I was wondering how the name [name_f]Corrine[/name_f] is typically pronounced (as opposed to [name_f]Corinne[/name_f] and other spellings)?

1 Like

That’s how it’s pronounced in Spanish!

I’ve heard kuh-reen and it being pronounced the same as Corinne, I believe it’s usually said kuh-reen

1 Like

Oh, ok! Thank you! And I take it [name_f]Ambre[/name_f] and [name_m]Anders[/name_m] are relatively similar to [name_m]Andres[/name_m], at least in the first syllable?

1 Like

The beginning of [name_f]Amber[/name_f] and [name_m]Anders[/name_m] sound more like the name [name_u]Anne[/name_u] (of course with [name_f]Amber[/name_f] it’d be a M) while [name_m]Andres[/name_m] is more of an -ahn- sound, like [name_f]Ana[/name_f]

1 Like

Oh, I thought [name_f]Ambre[/name_f] was a completely different name from [name_f]Amber[/name_f]! Thank you! And yeah, I can see that for both names. Btw, if you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for the spelling of [name_f]Corrine[/name_f] to get to the CORE-inn pronunciation, I’d really appreciate it!

1 Like

Ambre > is quite difficult to explain because it’s basically seen as one syllable in French (otherwise the emphasis would be on the BRE part) but there’s still a tiny bit of an -uh sound at the end of the word.
The Am- part would be like saying “on” but swapping the n for an m, so “om” (not to be confused with the long “o” of the word used in meditation.)
So Ambre > OMBR(uh).

Anders would most likely be pronounced AHNN-dehrs. (ahnn like Anna but with an A like in car; still, don’t draw it out as you would with Ana.)

Corrinne could be koh-RINN or KOR-rinne in English, but Corinne is ko-REEN in French.
In French, the double R wouldn’t really change anything as far as I know.

Perhaps Corrin or Corinn would work for you.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

[name_u]Lennon[/name_u] and [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] are now firmly my faves if our naming strategy ends up being to choose whether-we-have-a-boy-or-a-girl unisex names (like SOs parents did with their children).

But… my secret plan 🧐

G/B = [name_u]Lennon[/name_u], [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
G/G = [name_u]Lennon[/name_u], [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
B/G = [name_u]Sasha[/name_u], [name_u]Lennon[/name_u]
B/B = [name_u]Sasha[/name_u], [name_u]Lennon[/name_u]

If we decide/are lucky enough to have three children (unlikely), then [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] would be the third name. :love_letter:

I’m obsessed right now with Romanian and [name_m]Dacian[/name_m] names, my dad’s family is native to Romania. And Swiss-Romansh names because of my [name_u]Nana[/name_u] (mom’s side). Madlaina, Madalina, [name_f]Catrinel[/name_f], [name_m]Alexandru[/name_m], Silviu, [name_m]Ilie[/name_m], Crina, [name_f]Vasilia[/name_f], [name_m]Vasile[/name_m] (though I do favor [name_u]French[/name_u] [name_m]Basile[/name_m] with this one), and [name_u]Victorin[/name_u] are the ones I’ve added to my favorites thus far. I’ve always liked heritage names a LOT to the point of, well obsession.

On an individual scale my name crush right now is [name_f]Nefeli[/name_f]. I’m so messed up with this one. Would it be an okay name in today’s age on the playground at school? [name_u]Or[/name_u] in the office? It’s unusual for sure, I lean towards the [name_f]Nefeli[/name_f] spelling over [name_f]Nephele[/name_f] solely because I think it’s a bit more spunky/rebellious than classical but also I get the nickname [name_f]Effie[/name_f] out of it more easily.

I love [name_f]Nefeli[/name_f]! I’ve never met a [name_f]Nefeli[/name_f], but I have met several [name_m]Neftali[/name_m] s (boys), so I think it would be usable.

1 Like