Name Conversations / Questions

I thought I’d bring back this thread!

I just heard about a kid who goes by [name_m]Pal[/name_m] as a nn, but his full name is pronounced PAL-uh-din. I only heard it and didn’t see it; do you guys have an idea how it may be spelled? I would love to add the full name to my list! :smiley:

1 Like

I would guess [name_m]Paladin[/name_m], apparently it’s the name of two Tolkien characters. It’s quite nice, actually!

2 Likes

I’m a little late, but I have to add; I would guess it is spelled [name_m]Paladin[/name_m]. It’s a real word for a type of knight in the medieval ages (and I believe ancient Rome?) and refers to a holy knight in role-playing fantasy games.

2 Likes

[name_m]Paladin[/name_m]! It’s a word name and an old favorite of mine.

1 Like

To any Polish speakers / anyone who can answer: what are the connotations of the name Grażyna? Is it a dated name? Is it still associated with the poem? I couldn’t find any information about this in [name_f]English[/name_f] and I noticed the name wasn’t on the recent Polish popularity charts.

@Rosebeth @katinka @grette05

It’s pretty dated now, yes. Most popular in the mid 20th century. I know one who is about 55 or so. It is associated with the poem (it was invented by Mickiewicz) but has been popular enough since that I don’t think it’s strongly “literary” in tone – more [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] than [name_f]Desdemona[/name_f].

Disclaimer that I am not Polish but speak the language and this is the “outsider’s” impression I have from my time in Poland.

2 Likes

To me Grażyna sounds a bit like a name for an old lady (which isn’t a bad thing necessarily). The only people I’ve met or have heard of named Grażyna were at least 55 years old. To be honest it feels dated to me, but I have to admit I’m not a huge fan of how it sounds anyway.
In Poland Mickiewicz is definitely someone they’re proud of, so most people there would associate it with the poem.

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I do agree with @katinka that the name is common enough for it not to be associated with the poem constantly, because most people are used to seeing it as a first name. But most people do know the poem.

1 Like

Hey sorry for answering 3 days later!
As a person living in Poland all my life I think no young girl would like to be named that. It is dated indeed but it’s also like a meme name, something like the “Karen meme” in States. [name_m]Janusz[/name_m] and Grażyna are like a stereotypical polish couple who wear socks with sandals (lol), love to pick up the bargains, [name_m]Janusz[/name_m] drinks beer and watches tv and I don’t know what else… It is very possible children with these names would be teased and called names like: “Janusz of business”, “Grażyna of bargains”. It might sound neutral but in Polish it’s hilarious. Like, when you bought a nice shirt on sale and you show it to your friends, they might say: “Ale z ciebie Grażyna promocji!!” (“You’re such a Grażyna of bargains!!”) and burst out laughing. Other meme names in Poland are [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] (Sebix) and I think [name_f]Karyna[/name_f] and [name_m]Oskar[/name_m].

You speak Polish? How come? I think I wouldn’t want to learn it if I wasn’t born here lol

4 Likes

I did my degree in Russian and Polish. It’s an amazing language :poland: So interesting about the Grażyna meme, I’ve heard [name_m]Janusz[/name_m] used in that way but never Grażyna. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I taught my mom the idea of coming up with combos for the sake of it! I thought it was a little complicated or theoretical but she caught right on! Her first combo is in the combo of the day thread :muscle:

3 Likes

I can’t believe I didn’t think about posting this question here, but I’ve been wondering for quite a while how the names [name_f]Ambre[/name_f] and [name_m]Anders[/name_m] are typically pronounced?