Name experts please help!

I am five months pregnant with our first child, a boy. My husband lost his little brother tragically years ago and I know it would mean a lot to him (and to me) to name our first son after him. The problem? His brother’s name is [name]Josh[/name], [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name], and our son would be [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name] ______ II. This is fine, but I refuse to call my child [name]Joshua[/name] when EVERYONE is named [name]Joshua[/name], so we’re thinking of nicknames. I grew up in a very WASPy community and went to prep school and college with tons of boys who were the second, third, or fourth and went by their nicknames. My cousin is a [name]Trey[/name] for the third, and I’ve dated a [name]Tripp[/name] and a Cuatro (it’s very popular to use Dos, Tres (pronounced [name]Trace[/name], and Cautro where I’m from. Funny thing: all they’re all White) I’m friends with a Dos and a [name]Buddy[/name], even an [name]Ivy[/name]. ( He was a fourth, an IV. The only ones I know for the second are Dos and [name]Buddy[/name], but my husband had a dog named [name]Buddy[/name] and can’t get past it, although I may fight him. We both like Dos and would spell it Deaux (you pronounce it dose) but here is the other problem: we want a big family ( up to 5) and I want all the names to go together. I also am a huge Anglophile and [name]LOVE[/name] British names. I like names [name]Rufus[/name] and [name]Alphie[/name] and [name]Harry[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name] and [name]Briony[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Hugh[/name] and [name]Orlando[/name] and [name]Angus[/name] and [name]Jude[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Edmund[/name] and [name]Callum[/name] and [name]Graham[/name] and [name]Balthasar[/name], not stuck with names that “go” with [name]Joshua[/name] like everything else in the top 10. Does Dos or Deaux even go with these? What about [name]Buddy[/name]? I even know kids nicknames things like [name]Tiger[/name] or [name]Bear[/name] instead of [name]JR[/name], which I hate. Please help me find a solution!!!

I’m so sorry that your husband lost his brother. :frowning:

From your list of nicknames, I think I can better see the Deaux spelling with the British names than I can the Dos spelling (but because I pronounce Deaux the French way, and assume others will, too, I can’t see it as a nickname), and I can’t see [name]Buddy[/name] with your favorite names (but that’s just me). :slight_smile:

Is calling [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name] “J.D.” an option? I knew a very bright and handsome “J.D.” when I was growing up (I believe he was [name]John[/name] [name]David[/name]), and thought it may work for you.

Take care! :slight_smile:

P.S. I love your list of favorites!

[name]Hi[/name], there!

Firstly, let me just say that I am terribly sorry for your husband’s loss. [name]How[/name] difficult to lose a brother! I think it is very sweet and meaningful that you are naming your first-born son after his brother, [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name]. That being said, you don’t seem to like the name [name]Joshua[/name] - admittedly, I’m not a fan either - and I don’t think you should use the name if you don’t care for it. I love your list of British names - they are beautiful - and you are right, [name]Joshua[/name] (or Deaux?) don’t really “go” with such names. So, I ask you, have you thought of other ways to honor [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name]?

One way to honor [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name] would be to use the same JD initials, something like [name]Julian[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name]! This way, you could choose a name you and your husband love, while still paying tribute to your husband’s late brother through his initials. I think this is really sweet.

Or, use [name]Joshua[/name] as a middle name and one of your favorites as a first name for this baby boy! That could be really nice as well.

I’m sorry, but I honestly find it a bit odd that your son would be [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name] LASTNAME II, when his father’s name isn’t [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name]. That’s just my opinion, and I’m sorry if it is rude. I do, however, think it is amazing that you are honoring your husband’s brother, and I know your son will appreciate the connection to his late uncle.

Best of luck! Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I just thought of something else…the JD intials remind me of the name [name]Jed[/name] (or [name]Jeddy[/name]), which may be a possible nickname for you. [name]Jed[/name] comes from [name]Jedidiah[/name], who was [name]David[/name]'s second son by [name]Bathsheba[/name], so it ties in the J from [name]Joshua[/name], [name]David[/name], and the “second” theme.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Would he really be a II? I find it kind of odd that you would add the suffix, especially because IIs are typically [name]Jr[/name]. until they have a son with the same name.

I’m sorry if this sounds rude, I’m terribly sorry about your husband’s loss, and I think it’s outstanding that you’re naming your son after his brother. Especially because [name]Joshua[/name] is not your style.

I am so sorry that your husband’s brother died. It is lovely of you to name your son after him. I love the name [name]Joshua[/name].
The J.D. nickname is adorable. Also love [name]Jed[/name] - so jaunty!
It doesn’t bother me that the style of your first son’s names would be different from his siblings because his name is honoring his uncle.

I really like [name]Jed[/name] a lot. Also, my sister suggested [name]Jude[/name], which is also related to [name]Joshua[/name] and also feels jaunty like [name]Jed[/name]. I also like the nickname [name]Ace[/name], but it probably fits better with “tough boy” names like [name]Ryder[/name] and [name]Cale[/name] then [name]Rufus[/name], [name]Alfie[/name], or [name]Graham[/name].

and no it’s not rude at all! It’s tricky and the only reason I know at all is because I have so many family members (mostly cousins) and classmates who are the III or IV. I know three [name]Trey[/name]'s, a Tres, and two [name]Tripp[/name]'s! It’s only [name]Jr[/name]. if named after the father, and II if named after a grandfather or uncle like in my son’s case. But I also know some people who use II instead of [name]Jr[/name]. because they feel it’s more “Upper Class” (and we all know this is important when it comes to names) and their parents wanted them to avoid having the tacky (in my opinion) “[name]Junior[/name]” nickname.

[name]Jude[/name] is cool, too!

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m glad that [name]Jed[/name] may work for you. And if [name]Jed[/name], why not [name]Jude[/name] as a nickname? I I really love [name]Jude[/name], and think it’s totally perfect with your favorite names. What a great suggestion from your sister!

I think it’s so wonderful that you’ll be honoring your brother-in-law. I’m not sure if your husband’s parents are still alive, but I bet it will mean a lot to them.

Your story reminds me of a poster who came to Nameberry over the summer. She was the sweetest thing, and although she was a fan of vintage names, she wanted to name her baby girl after her husband’s little brother who was killed in a tragic accident as a child.

[name]Even[/name] though it wasn’t her style, she named her baby girl [name]Blake[/name], after her brother-in-law. I thought it was so selfless of her, and I’ve never forgotten it. I feel the same way about your [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name]. I love names with meaning. :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

[name]Jude[/name] has the “J” sound from [name]Joshua[/name] and the “D” sound from [name]David[/name]. Very sweet. [name]Jude[/name] is the very essence of [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name], I think.

Would [name]Jude[/name] be a nickname or your son’s name? Because, I agree with [name]Susan[/name] that [name]Jude[/name] is the perfect combination of [name]Joshua[/name] and [name]David[/name], since it has the J and D sounds! I’d use it as a first name, and perhaps you could honor either your family or your husband or father-in-law with [name]Jude[/name]'s middle name?

Take care!

I [name]LOVE[/name] the nickname idea - [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name] nn [name]Jude[/name]! Brilliant, if you and your husband like this idea. [name]Jude[/name] sounds kind of British to me, kind of like that dashing and jaunty [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name]. And your son’s real name would be [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name] which has so much meaning to you and your family. With the nn [name]Jude[/name], your first son’s name would go well with his siblings’ names. So cool!

[name]Deuce[/name] could work as a nickname too. I really like the suggestions of [name]Jed[/name] and [name]Jude[/name].

I like [name]Joss[/name], [name]Jude[/name] and [name]Jade[/name]

We’ve decided on [name]Jude[/name]. It doesn’t seem so far off, and it has class, personality, and charm. I can see him playing lacrosse and being kind of a troublemaker but handsome and charming, like [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name]. Also, this way we get to name him after his uncle but I don’t have to be stuck naming our future kids [name]Sam[/name], [name]Matt[/name], and [name]John[/name]. Which aren’t bad names, they’re just too popular for me. And [name]Jude[/name] goes with so many great names like [name]Rufus[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Freddie[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Callum[/name], [name]Balthasar[/name], [name]Malcolm[/name], [name]Graham[/name], [name]Milo[/name], [name]Leo[/name], and [name]Bryony[/name], etc :slight_smile:

[name]Will[/name] [name]Jude[/name] be his first name or nickname? I love [name]Jude[/name], and it works very well with [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Callum[/name], [name]Graham[/name], and [name]Bryony[/name]! Great choice for a name. :slight_smile:

I borrowed this from Wikipedia. This may help with some of the confusion about using [name]Jr[/name]. & II.

In cases where a child is given the same name as a relative who is not the child’s mother or father, it is considered correct to give the child a numerical suffix. For example, a child named [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Scott[/name], after his uncle [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Scott[/name], would properly be considered [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Scott[/name] II, as opposed to “[name]Junior[/name].” [name]Junior[/name] is not used because, in this example, [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Scott[/name] is not the child of [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Scott[/name], senior. If [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Scott[/name] II were to have a son, he could then be named [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Scott[/name] III or [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Scott[/name], [name]Jr[/name]., depending upon the family. While it is not technically the social norm to use “II” in place of “junior” for children born directly to a same named parent, there is no social rule against the usage of “II” instead of “junior” for a same named child. Often, II is used by families who want to avoid having their children referred to as “junior” as a nickname.
Last, common nicknames for a junior or II include “[name]Chip[/name]” (as in “chip off the old block”) and “[name]Bud[/name]” (predominantly in the American South). Likewise, common nicknames for a III are “[name]Trip/name” or “[name]Trey[/name]” which denote that the nameholder is the third in a line.

Congratulations! I think honoring your husband’s brother [name]Joshua[/name] is lovely. Instead of calling him [name]Joshua[/name]/[name]Josh[/name]… how about “[name]Joss[/name].” I know that guys can have that name in [name]England[/name]. [name]Just[/name] a thought. [name]Happy[/name] naming!

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Jude[/name], it is the perfect nickname for [name]Joshua[/name] [name]David[/name]! In case you’re not 100% on [name]Jude[/name], though, I thought I’d suggest [name]Hugh[/name]. I think that’s a perfectly natural nickname for [name]Joshua[/name], and it’s a name you said you liked.

“I like names [name]Rufus[/name] and [name]Alphie[/name] and [name]Harry[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name] and [name]Briony[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Hugh[/name] and [name]Orlando[/name] and [name]Angus[/name] and [name]Jude[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Edmund[/name] and [name]Callum[/name] and [name]Graham[/name] and [name]Balthasar[/name].”

I like your naming style and [name]Jude[/name] is a good choice and I love [name]Imogen[/name] with [name]Jude[/name], very cool.

[name]Rupert[/name] is one of my faves you probably love [name]Rupert[/name] too.

I also like lemon’s [name]Julian[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name] very handsome.

Great idea!
I love [name]Julian[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name], too. I agree with [name]Rollo[/name].