Name for an old-fashioned, snobbish lady?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] in planning my novel I have already come to a stop with another character who needs a name. She hasn’t come in a tall yet but I would like to have her make quite a few appearances, for although she only plays a small part in the plot she is a Character with a capital C and would bring up some interesting happenings.

Genre of [name_u]Story[/name_u]: Realistic Fiction

Time Period/Location: Modern-day [name_f]England[/name_f], in more old-fashioned circles.

Character Description: This character is a woman in her fifties, coming from a very old-fashioned family. She is what is generally referred to as a snob, being very strict about the difference between social classes, and thinks that people from old, wealthy, traditional families such as her own are superior to others. She was widowed quite young and has lived alone for a number of years, and has recently taken on the duty of raising her orphaned niece, a task which she is carrying out in a way which her forefathers would consider proper, but without love. She is generally viewed as a very stiff person, and is always being labelled “snob”, “posh” or “prig”.

Who named the character: Her parents. I won’t need to describe what sort of people they are since you will have gathered the gist already.

Immediate Family: [name_f]Cara[/name_f] Morce, her neice; the daughter of her husband’s brother.

Already Considered: I have considered [name_f]Beulah[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], but have decided against both.

Anything else?: Her maiden surname is [name_u]Clancy[/name_u] and her surname is Morce.

Thank you very much for any ideas or suggestions!

I think of…

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Prunella[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]/[name_f]Agatha[/name_f]
[name_f]Drucilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretchen[/name_f]

[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] Morce
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]-[name_f]Marie[/name_f] Morce
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] Morce
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] Morce
[name_f]Edwina[/name_f] Morce
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] Morce
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] Morce
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Morce

Without a doubt, [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f].

Thank you very much for the suggestions! She will be [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] - now I have to decide which!

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Caroline[/name_f], [name_f]Virginia[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Millicent[/name_f], [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]

[name_f]Norah[/name_f]! first came to my mind

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Betsy[/name_f]
[name_f]Beth[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Drusilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarice[/name_f]
[name_f]Ravenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f]/[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]

The first thing I thought of was [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], but I don’t think that works too well with the surname :slight_smile: The only other thing I can think of right now is [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Bernice[/name_f]
[name_f]Anette[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
Faya - Although that one might be too ‘young’

[name_f]Roseanne[/name_f], like the show haha

[name_u]Meredith[/name_u]. Fits to a T (h).

Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I’ve come to a conclusion.

[name_f]Celinda[/name_f] Morce (neé [name_u]Clancy[/name_u])

[name_f]Alexandrine[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]