Name for orphaned baby

Hello everybody, I’ve decided to try my hand at creative writing again and have a question.

The protagonist in my story was abandoned as a baby and taken into an Adoption & Fostering agency.

I was just wondering, in real life circumstances, how is a name chosen for this child? Whose surname would she have?

I tried to Google what the protocol is for that particular scenario in [name_m]Wales[/name_m], but I came up with nothing. I read somewhere that abandoned children in [name_u]America[/name_u] take their surname from the street they were found on, if applicable. Maybe you could go off of that, and an adoption center worker could give her a proper first name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] scrolling through Google quickly, I found a forum that said that some adopted babies that the parents didn’t take the time to name were named by hospital workers, or after important holidays that fall around the time they were born.

Sorry, but that’s the best I could find. I hope it helps at least a little!

Thank you @vestigesofsummer! This has given me loads of ideas :slight_smile:

You can name your protagonist [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]” [name_m]Williams[/name_m] if that works.