Name for our baby girl, need advice!

My husband and I are really struggling to decide a name for our soon to arrive baby girl. We’re English and like quite old fashioned classic names. We had an amazing boys name picked out, [name]Rafferty[/name] nn [name]Raff[/name] which we will be using if we ever have a son.

At the moment we have

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] (need a middle name)
[name]Pippa[/name] (need a middle name)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Agnes[/name]

I also like

[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Nancy[/name]

but DH not keen. Any feedback and suggestions welcome! :slight_smile:

I like all of your names with the exception of [name]Nancy[/name] which feels “dated” to me. Would you consider [name]Alice[/name] as the first name. I just think [name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] flow a little better. If the combos are kept the way they are now, I like [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Agnes[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] the best. [name]Edith[/name] [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Thea[/name] [name]Millicent[/name] and [name]Pippa[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] would be lovely too! Here are some other names you might like.

[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]/[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Rosamund[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]/[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]

I like [name]Thea[/name] best. It’s been growing on me lately. Here are some middle name ideas.

[name]Thea[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Millicent[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Nancy[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]

Good luck!

I adore them all except for [name]Nancy[/name]. [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Alice[/name] may be my favorite. [name]Love[/name] the NN “[name]Mattie[/name].”

I love, love, love Thea!

TheaElizabeth is so beautiful.

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Alice[/name]- I prefer [name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name], but this is still pretty. I do like [name]Mattie[/name].
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Alice[/name] - I’m not a fan of [name]Harriet[/name].
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Ivy[/name] - Although it is kind of cute in this combo.
[name]Thea[/name]- I think it’s cute, although I prefer [name]Theo[/name].
[name]Pippa[/name]- I’m not sure how usable this is here in the US, but if you’re in england it might be alright, I couldn’t say. I think it’s a little cutesy.
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Agnes[/name] - I think this combo is pretty, although I don’t like either name so much.
[name]Edith[/name]- feels dated to me.
[name]Agnes[/name]- too clunky for my taste
[name]Beatrice[/name]- I prefer [name]Beatrix[/name], but this is pretty too.
[name]Nancy[/name]- Meh. A little boring.

[name]Mischa[/name]

Thank you so much for all your input, it is really helpful.

I know what you mean about [name]Alice[/name] first but don’t want to use for 3 reasons

1. DH ex finance was called [name]Alison[/name] and its too close for me I think it would be weird
  2. The song ‘[name]Alice[/name], [name]Alice[/name] who the f@&* is [name]Alice[/name]’ really puts me off - can just imagine it being playground chanted :frowning:
  3. [name]Don[/name]'t like nn [name]Ali[/name] or [name]Al[/name] as very 80s as dimunitives of [name]Alison[/name]

I like the [name]Edith[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] suggestion except they both have very similar meaning ‘battle mighty’ [name]Matilda[/name] from the old german and ‘prosperous in war’ for [name]Edith[/name] from the old english.

[name]Love[/name] many of the names on your list, expecially [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Irene[/name] but DH has vetoed these. [name]Florence[/name] which I also love has been used by a very close friend for her daughter so a no go.

[name]Meghan[/name]

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m liking [name]Thea[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Thea[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] from those suggestions. :slight_smile:

[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Agnes[/name] is very classy!

I think I might have cross posted before!

lyricmom - [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Alice[/name] is my DH favourite. [name]Matilda[/name] is very popular here in the UK in the top 20 I think. I too love [name]Mattie[/name] as a nn but my DH is called [name]Matthew[/name] and gets called [name]Matty[/name]/[name]Matt[/name] quite a bit, so we’d have to use [name]Tillie[/name]/[name]Tilda[/name] I think.

ferntailwp - again thanks very much for the input. [name]Theo[/name] is a definite boys name in UK, and very popular for boys too, so wouldn’t use it. [name]Pippa[/name] is fine for the UK, and [name]Edith[/name] is coming back round after being dated. [name]Evie[/name] is ultra popular here, in the top 10, and [name]Edie[/name] is seen as a cooler alternative to [name]Evie[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Beatrix[/name] reminds me of [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Potter[/name] too much and also the joke about the girl balancing three pints of beer on her head [name]Beatrix[/name] (ie beer tricks) lol which is why I prefer [name]Beatrice[/name], love the nn [name]Bea[/name] though.

Shaymin - totally agree on [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Agnes[/name] being classic, there are so many nn for [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Elsa[/name], [name]Bess[/name], [name]Betsy[/name], [name]Betty[/name] which I really like so think this would be a good option!

My favorites are [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. So gorgeous!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Rafferty[/name]!!

I love your style too - my name is [name]Elizabeth[/name] and I have/had [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Pippa[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Nancy[/name] all on my list at some point.

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Alice[/name] is stunning and is a combo I’ve considered before, so pretty. [name]Harriet[/name] [name]Alice[/name] is beautiful too.

[name]Edith[/name] and [name]Agnes[/name] are nice enough, but maybe a little too old fashioned maybe. [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Agnes[/name] looks and sounsd lovely though.

I’d be wary of the name [name]Pippa[/name]; I think you’ll find it one of trendiest ad fastest rising names in the UK because of [name]Pippa[/name] Middleton and that is the reason it isn’t on my list. [name]Pippa[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Pippa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Pippa[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] would be lovely.

[name]Thea[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name], [name]Thea[/name] [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Thea[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Thea[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name], [name]Thea[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Thea[/name] [name]Willow[/name]? [name]Thea[/name] is interesting but with similar such as [name]Tia[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Mya[/name], [name]Ria[/name] being all very chavvy names I wouldn’t go near [name]Thea[/name] apart from as a nickname for [name]Mattea[/name]/[name]Matthea[/name].