Name for second daughter: revised list

I posted a few weeks ago about our attempt to come up with a name for our second daughter, due in about 10 weeks now. When I first posted, we were focusing on the names [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name]. We”ve gone back and reviewed our list a bit, and would appreciate any feedback.

Our first daughter”s name is [name]Leah[/name]. Most of the names that I”m liking this time around are longer than [name]Leah[/name], but have short nicknames that we would probably use most often.

Our list now includes:

[name]Rosalie[/name] (my favourite)- we would likely call her [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Rosie[/name] most of the time.
[name]Rosemary[/name]- this is the name of an older family member and we”re not totally sure about using it for that reason. Again, nickname [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Rosie[/name].
[name]Margaret[/name] (great grandmother”s name)- we would likely call her [name]Maisie[/name], or maybe [name]Meg[/name].
[name]Josephine[/name]- really like the nickname [name]Josie[/name], but worry that the full name is a little too grand.
[name]Mae[/name]/[name]Marina[/name]- or some other form of [name]Mary[/name] (my mom is [name]Mary[/name] and mother-in-law’s middle name is [name]Marie[/name], so we don’t want to use either but maybe a variation)

We also like [name]Victoria[/name], but can”t agree on a nickname. I like [name]Tori[/name] but husband has problems with the [name]Tori[/name] spelling association, and I”m not a fan of [name]Vicki[/name].

[name]Ivy[/name] is still under consideration, but I”m less confident of that choice than before. I also like [name]Cecelia[/name]/[name]Celia[/name], [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Helena[/name], but husband won”t agree to these.

Any thoughts on our list?

Thank you all for your help.

[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name] for a shorter last name would be perfect! [name]Leah[/name] and [name]Maisie[/name]/[name]Maggie[/name]/[name]Meg[/name] is ideal in my opinion. [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] would also be cute…

[name]Rosalie[/name] (my favourite): I think it’s such a gorgeous name, but with the ending that sounds like “lee,” it contains part of [name]Leah[/name]'s name. [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Leah[/name] would get me tongue-tied, but that’s just me.
:slight_smile:

[name]Rosemary[/name]: I love [name]Rosemary[/name], too, but can’t really see it with [name]Leah[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Rose[/name]? I can see [name]Leah[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] as sisters.

[name]Margaret[/name] (great grandmother”s name): I love [name]Margaret[/name], and think it’s great with [name]Leah[/name]!

[name]Josephine[/name]: I love [name]Josephine[/name]!

[name]Mae[/name]/[name]Marina[/name]: I love [name]Mae[/name] (I also love it as a nickname for [name]Margaret[/name]), but I can better see [name]Margaret[/name] with [name]Leah[/name]. (I can’t really see [name]Marina[/name] with [name]Leah[/name].)

What about [name]Miriam[/name]? It’s a form of [name]Mary[/name], and I can definitely see it with [name]Leah[/name]… Other forms of [name]Mary[/name] you may like are [name]Marielle[/name], [name]Mariel[/name], [name]Mara[/name], and [name]Maren[/name].

[name]Victoria[/name]: I absolutely love [name]Victoria[/name], but like you, I don’t like the nicknames [name]Tori[/name] or [name]Vicki[/name]. I’d suggest [name]Ria[/name], but in all honesty, I’ve heard it as a slang for “diarrhea.” What about using [name]Victoria[/name] in the middle? (And for what it’s worth, I do know two Victorias who have gone through live without nicknames…)

If you like [name]Rose[/name] as a first name, what about [name]Rose[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Rosalie[/name] is very pretty. I love the nn [name]Rosie[/name] too…I dont think it is too close to [name]Leah[/name]…

Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions. I really like [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Cecelia[/name] and quite like [name]Rose[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]- I just don”t get as excited about [name]Rose[/name] as I do about some of the [name]Rose[/name] variations, like [name]Rosalie[/name]/[name]Rosemary[/name]. Perhaps we will think more about [name]Victoria[/name] in the middle name spot- I know in our house we”d end up using a nickname so best to stick with a full name that has obvious nickname choices that we like.

[name]Mae[/name] as a possible nickname for [name]Margaret[/name] is one we hadn”t thought of, and will keep that in mind.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Marina[/name]! I would go with that. Another beautiful variation on the [name]Mary[/name] theme is [name]Marielle[/name]. All your choices are pretty though! let us know what you decide! :slight_smile: best wishes!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Josie[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]? I’m not a fan of [name]Josephine[/name], but I think [name]Josie[/name] works fine as a stand-alone name and would make a cute sibset with [name]Leah[/name].

My other favorite of the choices you mentioned is [name]Juliet[/name]. [name]Julie[/name] and [name]Leah[/name] would be also good together.

To be honest, I don’t think most of the other names you mentioned work that well with [name]Leah[/name]. [name]Rosalie[/name] is very pretty, but I agree with a previous poster not repeating about the “lee” sound.