Name for Sister to Margaret and Edith

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!

We have two daughters named [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] and are expecting our third in [name_f]May[/name_f]. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] goes by [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f] goes by [name_f]Edie[/name_f]. We loved our daughters names for their timeless strength and spunky nickname potential. We are however, really stuck on a name for a third. We [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the name [name_f]Iris[/name_f] but worry that is doesn’t match our older girls names for two reasons: 1.) It doesn’t have a nickname. 2.) We worry that it’s not classic enough. Is [name_f]Iris[/name_f] classic/stylistically similar enough? Is it weird that our third wouldn’t have a nickname to go by?

Other names we’ve discussed and liked are:
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] NN: [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] NN: [name_f]Dot[/name_f]/[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriett[/name_f] NN: [name_f]Hattie[/name_f]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any suggestions for a third name that goes with our older girls? We like something classic but not in the 100 with a cute potential nickname.

I really love your daughters names. I adore [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] nn [name_f]Dottie[/name_f] for you! That would be my pick. Some other ideas, if you’re not sure:

[name_f]Claudia[/name_f] nn [name_u]Claude[/name_u] or [name_f]Claudie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lydie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Cece[/name_f]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] nn [name_f]Cilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] nn [name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] nn [name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Fia[/name_f]
[name_f]Susanna[/name_f] nn [name_f]Suki[/name_f]
Adelaide nn Daisy
Sybil nn Sybbie
Paulina nn Polly

Your list is perfect! [name_f]Iris[/name_f] works just fine but I also love [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] nn [name_f]Dot[/name_f]/[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] would be cute.

I think all the names on your list are good and would work well with the sisters. I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is perfect with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Edie[/name_f] and with the longer forms [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. You could use nn [name_f]Rissa[/name_f] or Riss or [name_u]Isa[/name_u], though it doesn’t need a nn. I think it’s fine not using a nn for one child (and something unexpected could develop as a nn anyway). If I had to pick one of the 4 as best fit I choose [name_f]Frances[/name_f]/[name_u]Frankie[/name_u].

What about [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] nn [name_f]Polly[/name_f]? I love [name_f]Polly[/name_f] with your sibset! I also really like your idea of [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] nn [name_f]Hattie[/name_f].
A few other options:
[name_f]Apolline[/name_f] nn [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is another idea. It’s a little more “out there” but still is a classic name
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f] nn [name_f]Aggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Coraline[/name_f] nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Delia[/name_f], [name_f]Della[/name_f], [name_f]Cori[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Cordi[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Betty[/name_f] or [name_f]Betsy[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tori[/name_f]
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] nn [name_u]Kit[/name_u] or [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]
Josephine nn Posy
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] always feels super classic to me. You could do [name_f]Carly[/name_f] or even [name_f]Lena[/name_f] as a nickname.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] would also be adorable with your girls!
Good luck!

I love [name_f]Iris[/name_f] with your daughters! I don’t think it’s strange that she wouldn’t have a nickname, and I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is absolutely a timeless, strong, beautiful classic. From your list of three, my favorite is [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. I love that it has strong vowel sounds and a literary history. What about…

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_u]Lou[/name_u]: I absolutely love this with your sibset. It’s a feminization, just like [name_f]Harriett[/name_f], and has lots of strength and historical ties. The catch: Is it too close to [name_u]Eloise[/name_u]?
[name_f]Irene[/name_f] nn [name_f]Rena[/name_f], [name_f]Rina[/name_f]: If you like [name_f]Iris[/name_f], what about [name_f]Irene[/name_f]? It is one of the most classic, striking names out there, and has some nickname options.
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]: A nature name, like [name_f]Iris[/name_f], but longer like the names of your daughters. It is strong, elegant, refined, and classic. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] comes with a treasure trove of fantastic nicknames, and might be my favorite for you. It even picks up the ending of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], and the simple [name_f]Rose[/name_f] are other considerations.
[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] nn [name_u]Ray[/name_u]/[name_u]Rae[/name_u], Rach: Here’s an underused classic! [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] is strong, tailored, bright, and feminine. It has the “l” from [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], and the “r” from [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] nn [name_u]Rue[/name_u] is a shorter option.
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]: A bright, perfectly quirky, charming, solid classic, [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] is a great consideration for you. It especially reminds me of [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] and [name_f]Harriett[/name_f].
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] nn [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Essie[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f]: [name_f]Esther[/name_f] is one of the strongest classics out there, and is criminally underused. It does share an initial with [name_f]Edith[/name_f], but they’re definitely distinct from one another. [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] is rising, but could be perfect.
[name_f]Julia[/name_f] nn [name_u]Jules[/name_u], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_f]Lia[/name_f]: I’ve saved on of my favorites for last. [name_f]Julia[/name_f] an excellent length, is sophisticated and mature, and very much a classic.

[name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are all so perfect!
I can’t choose between the 3-they are all darling.

I love [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] but don’t care for [name_f]Harriet[/name_f].

I like all your options! Other ideas …

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f] and …

[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] nn [name_f]Aggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f] nn [name_f]Aggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] nn [name_u]Audie[/name_u]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] nn [name_u]Clemmie[/name_u]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]
[name_f]Deborah[/name_f] nn [name_u]Bo[/name_u]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] nn [name_f]Essie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenie[/name_f] nn [name_f]Jeanie[/name_f]/[name_f]Genie[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] nn [name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_f]Frederica[/name_f] nn [name_f]Freda[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Effie[/name_f]/[name_u]Josie[/name_u]
[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f] nn [name_u]Quin[/name_u]/[name_f]Queenie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]/[name_f]Cindy[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] nn [name_u]Penny[/name_u]/[name_f]Nel[/name_f]
[name_f]Roberta[/name_f] nn [name_u]Bobbie[/name_u]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f] nn [name_f]Suzie[/name_f]/[name_u]Sunny[/name_u]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] nn Sybie
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f] nn [name_f]Vera[/name_f]

X

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] “[name_f]Margot[/name_f]”, [name_f]Edith[/name_f] “[name_f]Edie[/name_f]” and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] sound perfect to me. I also like [name_f]Harriett[/name_f] for you.

I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] totally works. [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] - I don’t think it sounds out of place. I don’t mind that she doesn’t get a nickname, my brother has one, I don’t and it’s not weird at all.

But I also like [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]. Not a fan of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - so clunky, or [name_f]Frances[/name_f] - just not my style.

[name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] & [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] - very cute
[name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] & [name_f]Iris[/name_f] - also works.
[name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] & [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] - I’ve gotta say I’m leaning towards this one.

A couple other ideas:

• [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] - just reminds me of [name_f]Iris[/name_f], but again, no nickname potential.
  • [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] - [name_u]Clem[/name_u] or [name_f]Emmy[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] - [name_u]Lou[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - [name_u]Penny[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] - [name_u]Kit[/name_u] / [name_f]Kate[/name_f] / [name_f]Katie[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Diana[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Florence[/name_f] - [name_f]Flora[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] works really well with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]/[name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f]/[name_f]Edie[/name_f]. I don’t think it’s a huge deal if one sibling doesn’t have a nickname. Otherwise I don’t think you can go wrong with any of your choices. I’m leaning towards [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] “[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]” from your other options, just because it feels a little more unexpected.

I know a few people have mentioned [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] as an alternative, and just as a word of caution you would have all three siblings from the Despicable Me / Minions franchise if you did so. In the correct order as well.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I really [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] in your options. You girls have very dashing names :slight_smile: I have some suggestions if you need more picks though:

• [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] or [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]: with the nickname [name_f]Addie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ada[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Florence[/name_f], Floriane or [name_f]Flora[/name_f]: with the nickname [name_f]Flo[/name_f], [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_f]Florie[/name_f]…
  • [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] or [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]: She can be called [name_f]Bee[/name_f], [name_f]Bea[/name_f], [name_f]Trish[/name_f]…
  • [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]: It’s soft and quite unusual. Once again, I see many nicknames like [name_f]Em[/name_f], [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] or [name_u]Lee[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]: with the nickname [name_u]Izzy[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]: With the nickname [name_f]Cece[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]: With the nickname [name_f]Roz[/name_f] or [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] --> [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], and [name_f]Dot[/name_f] :slight_smile:

I love your daughter’s names! I think that [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] would be PERFECT!

Some other ideas:

[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] nn [name_f]Bea[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] nn [name_f]Carrie[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]/[name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] nn [name_f]Annie[/name_f] or [name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] nn [name_f]Flossie[/name_f]

Some other berries beat me to the suggestion of [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], and [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] sound like classic sisters if I’ve ever heard them!

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f]/[name_f]Dot[/name_f] is also beautiful.

What about [name_f]Louise[/name_f]/[name_u]Lou[/name_u]/[name_f]Lulu[/name_f]? [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], and [name_u]Lou[/name_u] are adorable!

I like [name_f]Iris[/name_f]

Additional suggestions:

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] {and} [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] {and} [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]