Name hang ups for a little boy due on 2/1/20

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,

My husband and I are expecting our first child in [name_f]February[/name_f] and we’re working on narrowing down our list. We have the middle name ("[name_m]Robert[/name_m]") after my dad, but the first name has been proving tricky.

Our shared top:

[name_m]Declan[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_u]Corbin[/name_u]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]

Some of our shared hesitations on this short list…

1. Name meaning is really big to me so I’m hung up on [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] (“bald”). Should I just ignore the meaning even if he comes out with a full head of hair? :slight_smile:

2. We have only a small percentage Irish ancestry (and [name_m]Declan[/name_m], probably our top choice currently, is very Irish). [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] is a special place for us because we honeymooned there and completely fell in love with the culture and the countryside. We’re actually planning to take our little guy back as soon as he can travel well. Is it disengingenous to use a heavy Irish name if we’re a mixture of Scottish/English/Italian?

3. I worry about how often “[name_m]Callum[/name_m]” would be pronounced "Call-em"constantly. Has anyone named a child that? [name_m]How[/name_m] frequently do you have to correct?

I also love [name_u]Everett[/name_u], [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] (husband is not sold). He’d like to have a nickname and doesn’t like Ev, [name_f]El[/name_f], or [name_u]Sully[/name_u].

Thanks for all thoughts!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my thoughts:

[name_m]Declan[/name_m]-I think that this is fine if you don’t have a strong Irish heritage. People use names that aren’t from their culture all of the time. And it’s especially fine since you have a strong personal connection w/[name_f]Ireland[/name_f]. I love this name. It’s one of my nephew’s name. He’s bright, caring, sporty & a little mischievous. I feel like the name [name_m]Declan[/name_m] fits that cute personality very well. The nn [name_m]Dex[/name_m] is super cool too.

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]-It’s really up to you on whether or not the meaning is important. I personally wouldn’t worry too much. [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is a smart, quirky, fun name that’s simple yet not too common. I love the sporty nn of [name_u]Cal[/name_u] too.

[name_u]Corbin[/name_u]-This is fine. I don’t love it as much. It sounds trendier for some reason, even though it’s probably less common than [name_m]Declan[/name_m]. Also, the nn [name_u]Corey[/name_u] is kind of meh.

[name_m]Callum[/name_m]-I love this the most! I prefer to spell it [name_m]Calum[/name_m]. I think that’s more authentic, & also he wouldn’t get called ‘call um’.

[name_m]Miles[/name_m]-This is fine. I feel like about every other baby I meet is called this though. And the nn [name_f]Miley[/name_f] is kind of not that great.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I think [name_m]Declan[/name_m] nn [name_m]Dex[/name_m] is perfect!
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] or [name_m]Callum[/name_m] nn [name_u]Cal[/name_u] would be my next choice.

[name_u]Corbin[/name_u] and [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] are my favorite from your list.

[name_m]Declan[/name_m] is great! I don’t think it’s too Irish and I’ve known a few who haven’t been Irish.
[name_m]Callum[/name_m] and [name_m]Miles[/name_m] are lovely too and i haven’t come across [name_m]Callum[/name_m] being mispronounced

It seems like [name_m]Declan[/name_m] is your top pick, so I think you should go for it. I don’t think you need to worry about being Irish enough to use it; it’s really mainstream at this point.

I love [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], even though the meaning isn’t the best. The nn [name_u]Cal[/name_u] is definitely one of my favorites!

I love [name_m]Declan[/name_m], and I don’t think it’s unusable at all. You have heritage, you have a personal connection and you love it!
I’m not too fond of [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] or [name_u]Corbin[/name_u], as you mentioned, the first’s meaning is a bit offputting and the second just makes me think of a car, idk why.
[name_m]Callum[/name_m], I don’t think it’d get mispronounced, and I like it.
[name_m]Miles[/name_m] is adorable, but it is more popular than your other choices.

I also love [name_u]Everett[/name_u] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]. [name_m]Rhett[/name_m] can go as a nn for [name_u]Everett[/name_u], or maybe [name_u]Ever[/name_u]. As for [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]… [name_u]Sunny[/name_u]? [name_u]Van[/name_u]?
I’m not that fond of [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] due to a soccer figure, but it’s not bad.
Maybe [name_m]Edison[/name_m] is your style too?

First of all congratulations!! [name_f]May[/name_f] God bless your child.

So my suggestions are-
[name_m]Hank[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]
Fringo

Favourites:

[name_m]Callum[/name_m]/[name_m]Calum[/name_m] (I don’t think there would be pronunciation issues as it is quite well known, but in the sweet spot of also not being overly common)
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m], and this one reminds me of [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]/[name_m]Kier[/name_m] which you may also like.

[name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] is my favorite for you, followed by [name_m]Calum[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]! [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] could be nicknamed [name_u]Van[/name_u] or [name_m]Ivan[/name_m] instead of [name_u]Sully[/name_u], or maybe even [name_m]Levi[/name_m]?

I just wanted to say thank you so much to all of you who have taken the time to weigh in! It’s wonderful to get these varied opinions. If it makes any difference to your opinions, our surname name ends in “-ain”.

[name_m]Declan[/name_m] seems like the obvious choice to me. I think most people don’t give any thought to the origin of [name_m]Declan[/name_m] so people aren’t going to assume you come from a strong Irish background, but it sounds like [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] has a special place in your heart which makes it seem like the perfect name for me. It also sounds good with the middle name you picked out.

If you’re still not sure [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_u]Corbin[/name_u], and [name_m]Miles[/name_m] are all great names, but I think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_m]Miles[/name_m] flow better with [name_m]Robert[/name_m] because of the b in the middle of both [name_u]Corbin[/name_u] and [name_m]Robert[/name_m]. While [name_m]Callum[/name_m] is one of my personal favorites, I do think there will be people who mispronounce it because I have watched the people I work with mispronounce the simplest names, however I think the frequency at which it will be mispronounced depends on where you live and how popular the name is there.

Best of luck picking a name, but I think [name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m] is wonderful!

I love [name_m]Declan[/name_m] for you. I wouldn’t worry one bit about it being Irish. The fact that it represents something significant to you and your husband makes it that much more meaningful.

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is sweet! I don’t think the meaning is a big deal. I say this because any male I know couldn’t care less about all this type of stuff so I guarantee you [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] wouldn’t either. I know a little boy name [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] that goes by [name_m]Vin[/name_m]/[name_u]Vinnie[/name_u]. So cute!

I like [name_m]Callum[/name_m], but I could see a lot of pronunciation confusion. I’m not sure where everyone else lives claiming they’ve never heard it mispronounced, but many areas of the US wouldn’t be so sure.

[name_u]Corbin[/name_u] is okay but I prefer several of your other choices.

[name_m]Miles[/name_m] has always been a favorite of mine. I know it’s gaining some popularity, but didn’t think it was THAT popular.

I really love [name_u]Everett[/name_u] and the nickname [name_m]Rhett[/name_m]. Not a big fan of [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] or [name_u]Ellis[/name_u].

My favorites:
[name_m]Declan[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]

Any one of your names could be great.

My suggestion is to print out each full name with the middle and last name. Put the names in a prominent place where you will see them often, like on the refrigerator. Study how each full name looks in print and how each full name sound when spoken. Also, say just the first and last name out loud, because that is mostly how your child will be known. [name_f]Do[/name_f] some names flow better? [name_f]Do[/name_f] some names make a better impression in print? [name_m]Little[/name_m] by little your list will narrow down and the favorites will rise to the top. Then imagine your baby/toddler/big boy/adolescent with the name. Which name do you imagine yourself calling him? Most parents narrow their name choices down to two and when they meet their new baby, one name seems to “fit” better than the other. Good luck with your decision.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] an update – we went with none of the above! Our son [name_u]Finnley[/name_u] was born on 1/28! :wink:

4 Likes

Congratulations!! [name_u]Finnley[/name_u] is fantastic

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Finnley[/name_u] :blue_heart: Congratulations! Thanks so much for coming back to update us.