Name Help! Sisters for Lilia?

Please help pick a Sibset! The only name set is [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. Need help deciding for 2 new sisters!! (A long way to go, but this the fun part of pregnancy!) Last name is short and Italian. For a placeholder, we’ll use “Manco”.

Potential Names:
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] / Rosalia, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] / Emilia, [name_f]Evelia[/name_f] / Avalia / Evalia, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f].

*/ interchangeable to me. Would prefer to keep initials separate since the endings may be the same.

Potential SibSets:

1. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] ([name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]/Nori)
  2. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] ([name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]/Nori, [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]/Sallie)

DH likes these because they are all “unique names”. But I’m worried about pairing popular names with the more obscure [name_f]Lilia[/name_f].

1. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] ([name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f]/Elia, [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]/Sallie)
  2. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] ([name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], PhiPhi/Elia)
  3. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Evelia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] ([name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f]/Eve, [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]/Sallie)
  4. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], Avalia, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] ([name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Ava[/name_f]/Vali, PhiPhi/Elia)
  5. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] ([name_f]Lily[/name_f], PhiPhi/Elia, [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]/Sallie)

I really want to use a -lia pattern. [name_f]Lia[/name_f] is my late mother’s name and I would love for each of my girls to have a part of her. DH understands, but wants the names to stand on their own.

I’m trying to use logic instead of emotion to decide what would be the best. If you have a different combination or new names to suggest, please share below!

2 Likes

This is a very understandable dilemma. I think if you’re planning to use common nicknames anyway, you might as well go for the -lia pattern. It is a great way to honor your mother, and all these names are beautiful. If I had to pick a favorite pattern here is what I would rank:

1. Lilia, [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] (not as obscure as you think and all use very different sounds)
  2. Lilia, Avalia, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] (love [name_f]Vali[/name_f]. may work better as Evalia?)
  3. Lilia, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]
  4. Lilia, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]
  5. Lilia, [name_f]Evelia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] ([name_f]Eve[/name_f] seems too harsh with [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f])

I think you should go for the -lia pattern. But out of the other two I would pick:

1. Lilia, [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] ([name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] won’t be too common with [name_u]Nori[/name_u] nickname or [name_f]Elea[/name_f])
  2. Lilia, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
1 Like

Some of your ideas are so gorgeous! If i had to be picky, i think you might be right about some of them being a bit too plain to go with [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]: [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] fall into that category for me. Would you consider [name_f]Elinor[/name_f]? I think it looks lovely next to [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] and looks like a long form of [name_u]Nori[/name_u] to me.

Here are some other -lia suggestions, which i think go well with her sisters lovely unique name:
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] - [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_u]Mal[/name_u]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] - [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_u]Rae[/name_u], [name_u]Elia[/name_u]
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f] - [name_f]Cat[/name_f], [name_f]Lina[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] - [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] - [name_f]Nel[/name_f], [name_f]Nelia[/name_f]

2 Likes

Those are some great suggestions! [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is beautiful. Might flow better than [name_f]Evelia[/name_f] and be less common than [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. The nicknames are cute! I also like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I’ll definitely add them to the list!

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] or [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] & [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f].

2 Likes

At first I was hesitant about the match-y endings, but I love this idea so much! Okay. I think a name like [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is too close with the -ilia ending, whereas a name like [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] would work well because, despite the -lia ending, it sounds more distinct because it’s -alia not -ilia.

Of your other options, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is a little stylistically mismatched, imho. It doesn’t really match the feel of [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. [name_f]Evelia[/name_f] and Avalia don’t match well either, to me, because the sounds are much harsher and the pronunciations are very unclear and might be confusing – unlike [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], which is so straightforward.

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f], then, feel like the best options of your list. I think they sound great with [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]!

If you’re open to suggestions, these are some others you might consider:
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Giulia[/name_f]
[name_f]Idalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]

2 Likes

This is great feedback and some great suggestions! I like [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], and [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]. I think -i, -e, -a vowals go a long way to separate the names. And nicknames would all be pretty different too. [name_f]Lily[/name_f], PhiPhi, [name_f]Sallie[/name_f].

1 Like

I think I’m in the minority and don’t think [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is too bad with [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. Yes, they look very similar, but I think going with a -lia theme, that’s going to happen anyway. I say [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] almost interchangeably though (it’s more of a difference in the first syllable for me [name_m]Ah[/name_m]- versus Eh-) so it could be that the way I’m pronouncing it but I don’t think they’re too similar.

Before I read the full post, I immediately thought [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] sounded good, but I love the -lia theme now that you explained it, so I would have to say [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], and [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] would be my top choice for you out of your set (changing [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] to [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] because, like someone wrote, I think [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is a little bit of a stylistic mismatch). With these names, even though [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] are a little rarer than [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], I think they actually fit well together and the common “roots” of each name - the [name_f]Lil[/name_f]-, [name_f]Em[/name_f]-, and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]- - really helps make them all seem familiar, even if some may be more popular than the rest.

Of the other names on your list, I also like [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f].

Best of luck!

1 Like

Thank you! This is great feedback. I think the theme can work as long as the names are based in common roots. And then stylistic notes you made are all great to consider.

Hi there.

I love [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]! It’s so beautiful, sweet & slightly exotic. A lovely way to honor your mom. I think it’s a little match-y to give three sisters all ‘lia’ names though. What’s your mom’s mn? Maybe you could incorporate that somehow. Or use ‘lia’ mns for your girls.

Here are my thoughts on your ideas:

Lilia, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] & [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]-I love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] too! It’s one of my favorites. It’s a perfect balance of strong, classic, smart, feminine & a little adventurous. I like the nns [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] & [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], but [name_u]Nori[/name_u] is different. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is a nice enough name, but so over done. And I don’t like [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] for a girl. It’s a very classic boy name. Plus, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] has a soft ‘ch’, & [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] has a hard one. It just awkward. Maybe [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] as a nn?

Lilia, [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]-I like this way more. [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is a really good bridge between the slightly more serious [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] & the softer [name_f]Lilia[/name_f].

Lilia, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]-You have all sorts of my favorites on your list! [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] is one of my top favorites too (I named my kitty this :heart_eyes_cat:). I really do find these all too close & rhyme-y though. For what its worth, I love the [name_f]Mia[/name_f] for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], & that goes great w/Lily & [name_f]Rosie[/name_f].

Lilia, [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]-[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is good too, but not as pretty as [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] in my opinion. Oh, & they’re both really popular! [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is getting popular too. And it’s not my personal favorite. Sounds a little dramatic.

Lilia, [name_f]Evelia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]-[name_f]Evelia[/name_f] seems a tad made up. I like [name_f]Eve[/name_f] & [name_f]Evie[/name_f]. [name_f]Evie[/name_f] is sooo popular though.

Lilia, Avalia, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]-Avalia also seems made up. Probably just [name_f]Ava[/name_f] as a fn & [name_f]Lia[/name_f] as a mn would be fine.

Lilia, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]-All good names, but still too rhyme-y. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t thought to use it as a Mn instead. I still have time. I’m definitely going to see how that could work. Great feedback!

Lilia is gorgeous. It doesn’t feel so crazy unique that it wouldn’t fit with other classics as [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] are so classic it fits right in. [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is my favourite of the top two.

Lilia is also Russian, so you could try pairing it with other more Russian names.
E.g.
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f], Aliona and [name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Ekaterina[/name_f] and [name_f]Inessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_u]Maria[/name_u] and [name_f]Katinka[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Olia[/name_f]/Olya and [name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] and [name_m]Vanya[/name_m]

Also love what you’re trying to do with [name_f]Lia[/name_f], but I agree that some of your choices may sound too similar as beautiful as Evalia and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] are.

I think my favourite of those would be the combination [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]

For some reason I think [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] works better than [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], maybe it’s the ilia

What about something like…
[name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Amalia[/name_f] and [name_f]Liana[/name_f]

Suggestions:
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Liana[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Dalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Laia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Laila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_u]Elia[/name_u]
[name_f]Elianora[/name_f]
[name_f]Emiliana[/name_f]

1 Like

I commented on your other thread. I think the Lia part has to be in either the end, middle or start of each girl’s name. This is to avoid the risk of them sounding all very similar and rhyming. So for instance Emilia and Lilia are way too similar in my opinion. Same with Amelia and Ophelia
You seem to really like Lilia so there is your Lia ending.

Rosalia I think can be made an exception because the ending is a stylistically different sound. Ending in the Ah sound. Hoping this all makes sense.

I love the suggestions of Eliana !

Eliana (Ana/Elle)
Lilia (Lil/ Lila)
Rosalia ( Rose/Rosa)
All sound wonderful.

Also as you’ve said your keeping the babies genders a suprise what happens if you have two boys/one girl etc will you be aiming for a Lia sound in the boys names?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! If I have only 1 girl, it will be [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] no question. [name_m]Al[/name_m]- names are big on my husband’s side, and he wants to use one of those.

It would be like [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], and [name_m]William[/name_m] or [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_m]Albert[/name_m], and [name_m]Walter[/name_m]?? Maybe [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], and [name_m]William[/name_m]/Liam?

I’ve just started looking into boy names. But these are some that caught my eye.

1 Like

Love [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. I used it for my youngest son. He is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Theo[/name_u] :full_moon_with_face: girl names are more fun to think of I think!

1 Like

I think I would continue the Er/a ending with all three. As I think it sounds sweet.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like