Name Help: We're Stuck

We’re expecting baby boy No. 2 in [name_u]January[/name_u]. We have a son, [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Beck[/name_u]. The Mrs. and I are avid nameberry readers and spent countless hours finding the perfect name for our first-born. Our preference is formal first names that offer shortened versions for nicknames ([name_m]Calvin[/name_m] to [name_u]Cal[/name_u].) We don’t want anything too trendy and would prefer to stay away from names that could also be used for a girl.

We’re in a rut. We like names, but aren’t quite smitten yet with anything.

Here are the current top 3:
[ul]

[/ul]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like any of these three? Any other suggestion to pair with a [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]?

[name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is very handsome! I think [name_m]Roman[/name_m] goes well with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].
Some more ideas with possible nicknames:
[name_u]Dustin[/name_u]
[name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m]
[name_m]Damon[/name_m] ([name_f]Dee[/name_f], [name_f]Dee[/name_f] [name_f]Dee[/name_f], [name_u]Day[/name_u])
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] ([name_m]Vince[/name_m], V)
[name_m]Graham[/name_m] ([name_u]Gray[/name_u])
[name_m]Grant[/name_m] ([name_u]Gray[/name_u])
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Roderick[/name_m] ([name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_m]Rick[/name_m])
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] ([name_m]Nate[/name_m], [name_m]Nathan[/name_m], [name_m]Niels[/name_m])
[name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] ([name_u]Jem[/name_u], [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m])
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] ([name_u]Kit[/name_u])
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]/[name_m]Christian[/name_m]/Cristoph ([name_u]Kit[/name_u])
[name_u]James[/name_u] ([name_u]Jay[/name_u], [name_m]Jimbo[/name_m], [name_m]Jimmy[/name_m])
[name_m]Leander[/name_m] (Ender, [name_m]Leo[/name_m])
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u]/[name_m]Leopold[/name_m]/[name_m]Leon[/name_m]/[name_m]Leonardo[/name_m] ([name_m]Leo[/name_m])
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m] ([name_u]Dash[/name_u])
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m] ([name_u]Ray[/name_u])
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]/[name_m]Cassian[/name_m] ([name_m]Cash[/name_m]/[name_u]Cass[/name_u])
[name_u]Francis[/name_u] ([name_m]Frank[/name_m], [name_u]Frankie[/name_u], [name_m]Franco[/name_m])

You have a fabulous list! I especially love [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Weston[/name_m].

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Roland[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Edward[/name_m] (I think [name_u]Cal[/name_u] & [name_m]Ward[/name_m] sound amazing!)
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_u]August[/name_u] ([name_u]Cal[/name_u] & [name_u]Gus[/name_u]? [name_u]Cal[/name_u] & Auggie?)
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_u]Brennan[/name_u] ([name_u]Cal[/name_u] & [name_m]Ben[/name_m] might be really nice! [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], and [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] would be great options too. Ooh, I am liking [name_u]Cal[/name_u] & [name_u]Rue[/name_u] as well!)
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] (but maybe too common? [name_u]Cal[/name_u] & [name_m]Jake[/name_m] is quite cool, I think.)
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] ([name_u]Cal[/name_u] & [name_u]Jem[/name_u])
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Lincoln[/name_m] ([name_u]Cal[/name_u] & [name_m]Link[/name_m])
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] ([name_u]Cal[/name_u] & [name_m]Harry[/name_m])
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Finnian[/name_m]/[name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Merrick[/name_m]

Let me know what you think! I would be happy to add more.

I like [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_m]Roman[/name_m]. I also like nn [name_m]Wes[/name_m] but not a fan of [name_m]Weston[/name_m]. [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] is slightly better but I still don’t love it. I’ll second the suggestion of [name_u]August[/name_u] nn [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

[name_m]Abraham[/name_m] nn [name_m]Abe[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] nn [name_m]Cy[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] nn [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] or [name_m]Ned[/name_m]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jay[/name_u]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m] nn [name_m]Nate[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u]

I really like [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. It also goes well with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].

I really like [name_m]Roman[/name_m] (it’s one of my favourite names) and [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. [name_m]Weston[/name_m] is nice too. I think any of them would sound good with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].

Thanks for the suggestions. Many of these names were already mentioned as options. My first and last name were also mentioned as options, which is cool.

We like [name_m]Weston[/name_m] over [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] since my wife is from [name_u]Texas[/name_u]. Thought it could be a neat way to salute “the [name_m]Wild[/name_m] [name_u]West[/name_u].”

I like [name_m]Weston[/name_m].

Or,
[name_u]Braydon[/name_u]
Brexler
Brexton
[name_m]Colton[/name_m]
[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_m]Hayes[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]
Wyley

I really like the name [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], and I think [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_u]Beck[/name_u] sounds really cool. For me, I’d steer away from the same ending sound as [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] for baby #2; I tend to like unique initials and unique sounds for my kids. I came to that conclusion after naming a [name_u]Haley[/name_u] and a [name_f]Kate[/name_f] (almost 10 years apart; that long A makes the names indistinguishable when shouted up the stairs), as well as a [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] and a [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] (baby [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] was called Celestanie a few times, and the short E coupled with the ST in there make yelling “C’lest!” and “[name_u]Steph[/name_u]!” up the stairs or across the yard sound quite similar). Given that, I’d go for [name_m]Silas[/name_m] off your shortlist. I think [name_u]Cal[/name_u] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m], or [name_u]Cal[/name_u] and [name_f]Ro[/name_f], or [name_u]Cal[/name_u] and [name_m]Rome[/name_m], sound great, though, so take my advice with a grain of salt, I guess. :slight_smile:

A few suggestions, just in case:
[name_m]Jared[/name_m]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m] - mega popularity might be a con
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
(I was about to suggest [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], then realized that [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] would sound like the Chipmunks…)
[name_m]William[/name_m] - called [name_m]Will[/name_m] or [name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_u]Lionel[/name_u] - called [name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m]

Congrats! I love your names, although I prefer [name_m]Weston[/name_m] with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].
[name_u]Cal[/name_u] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] seem like brothers!
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m] and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Harris[/name_m] and [name_u]Cal[/name_u]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m] and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_u]Gray[/name_u] and [name_u]Cal[/name_u]

With [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], my favorite from your list is name_m][name_m]Silas[/name_m][/name_m]. I like the nickname [name_m]Wes[/name_m] but prefer getting there using [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]. While [name_m]Roman[/name_m] is a nice option, I don’t care for the nickname [name_m]Ro[/name_m] on a boy but maybe [name_m]Roan[/name_m] would work/

Other options:

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]
[name_m]Raymond[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]
[name_m]Rodney[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]

I have a friend who named her son [name_m]Westley[/name_m] and I think it is so cute and just a little different!

They are all great choices. I think I like [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_m]Silas[/name_m] best. Other options:

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]
[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]

I love [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. Another similar possibility could be [name_m]Sylvan[/name_m].

I’ll suggest [name_m]Hewitt[/name_m]. [name_u]Cal[/name_u] and [name_m]Hew[/name_m] - I just like them together:) Both under-the-radar but manly.

Of your top picks, I prefer [name_m]Weston[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]… [name_u]Cal[/name_u] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] sound good together!
My other favorite:

[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] - [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] and [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] sound awesome ([name_m]Ben[/name_m] & [name_u]Cal[/name_u]). So Cute!

I really love [name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. I think it flows off the tongue nicely and it doesn’t have any hard sounds that would clash with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m].
I don’t know why, but [name_m]Weston[/name_m] doesn’t go with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] as well as [name_m]Roman[/name_m] does.
[name_m]Silas[/name_m] could actually go quite well with it. It’d be cute to have “[name_u]Cal[/name_u] & [name_u]Si[/name_u],” it really is a cute list you have :slight_smile:

Some names I think roll off the tongue like [name_m]Roman[/name_m]:

• [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Berkeley[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
  • [name_m]William[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Jensen[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Booker[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Brennan[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Lander[/name_m]

Some names that are short and strong like [name_m]Silas[/name_m]:

• [name_m]Lance[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Theo[/name_u]
  • [name_u]Dane[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Jack[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Niall[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Hardy[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Baylor[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Marshall[/name_m]

Good luck and congratulations!

I like [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. And [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] better than [name_m]Weston[/name_m] (though admittedly it has a bit of a church history vibe with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], but I don’t really mind that).