Name Imagery

When you hear your favourite names - or any name, for that matter - what images come to mind?

For example, when I hear the names [name]August[/name] and [name]Ronan[/name], I imagine twin boys about 5 years old, with blonde hair and grey eyes. They live in a brownstone apartment in [name]New[/name] [name]York[/name] City, but were born to English expatriate parents. I imagine them sitting and reading books together on a rainy day.

Likewise, when I hear the name [name]Alice[/name] I think of a four year old brunette with a passion for dance. I imagine her wearing a fluffy tutu an a silver leotard, practicing for her next ballet recital.

I really enjoy reading these, so what images come to mind when you hear your favourite names?

[name]Linus[/name] is a lanky, nerdy hypochondriac carrying a kleenex around, with a nasally voice and a tendency to whine. I think the name brings this image to mind for me because it rhymes with “sinus”.

Hahahaha! [name]Even[/name] without the sinus association I still imagine a little nerdy boy with the name [name]Linus[/name].

[name]Luna[/name] is my favorite name right now and I can clearly picture this beautiful starry-eyed little girl, about 4 or 5 years old. She has very fair skin, long dark brown hair that hangs down her back, big sparkling brown eyes and she loves to read. She’s not exactly shy, but also not extremely outgoing. She’s very dream-like, preferring to stay in her own little fantasy world.

Not neccessarily my favourites, but when I hear [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], [name]Emily[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] etc, it makes me think of little Edwardian girls. I think of ribbons in long hair and pretty dresses with white pinnies and petticoats and woollen tights & little black hobnail boots! And they sit together in the nursery at the top of the house, having a tea party with their little china dolls which have those scary eyes. If you’ve ever seen The Woman In [name]Black[/name], think of the opening scene, before they jump out of the window :smiley:

Similarly, I think of [name]Henry[/name], [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]Albert[/name], [name]Joseph[/name], [name]George[/name], [name]Arthur[/name], [name]Percy[/name] & [name]Sidney[/name] in little sailor suits playing with wooden spinning tops and trains. Outside by the pond, they sail their mini wooden boats and catch minnows in glass jam jars. And on hot sumer afternoons they play cricket with grandpapa on the lawn before having buns and lemonade for tea.

I think I was born in the wrong decade :confused:

[name]Isaac[/name] is my all time favorite name. I picture a five year old little boy with dark blue eyes and freckles across his nose. He’s also missing his right front tooth and is mischievous. Despite all this his favorite things are playing with his puppy and playing video games with his dad.

Here’s another one. I associate [name]Dean[/name] and [name]Deacon[/name] both with institutional leaders and breakfast meat. [name]Deacon[/name] is a church leader, [name]Dean[/name] is a college leader. [name]Dean[/name] = [name]Jimmy[/name] [name]Dean[/name] = sausage. [name]Deacon[/name] = beacon = bacon + [name]Jimmy[/name] [name]Dean[/name].

I’m weird.

[name]Elowen[/name] - A tall and lithe young woman with fair hair and skin. Intelligent, but fanciful.
[name]Rowan[/name] - A rambunctious red head, male or female, with a clever sense of humor.
[name]August[/name] - An unusually handsome man with scruffy facial hair, an overcoat and a fedora.
[name]Felix[/name] - A bright eyed little boy with a big smile and sweet laugh.

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] is my favorite name combo right now if I were to have a daughter - I picture a sweet 3 year old with strawberry blond hair and blue/grey eyes - hair in a little high pony tail and a sweet sundress with little embroidered flowers on it and sandals. She’s playing in the yard picking flowers on a sunny day. LOL, this is literally what I envision.

LOL - not weird, awesome!

Lumi - snow and light, bright late winter days in Finland, icy clear and blue skies.
[name]Azure[/name] - [name]Morocco[/name] and spice, open vistas of sand dunes
[name]Alba[/name] - a white dawn, the sky bleached clear and unspoiled.

[name]Torin[/name] - ancient castles and celtic warriors
[name]Luca[/name] - a curly haired Italian boy, with freckles and green eyes, a charming imp
[name]Magnus[/name] - a viking, strong and steadfast, but eyes always turned away, out to sea, dreaming

When I imagine [name]Sailor[/name], I think of a medium of height teenage girl with straight brown hair and stormy gray eyes. She grew up traveling, the smell of the forest is second nature to her. She is too adventurous to contain, but has a soft side that others, especially her parents, rarely see. She always imagined herself a pirate, though she’s never been on a boat.

With [name]Gideon[/name] I imagine a handsome nineteen year old boy with tussled mousy brown hair and soft brown eyes. As a young child he liked to leap from tree to tree like a squirrel, but as he has grown older, his fondness for a good fable has grown more than his urge to play outside. He doesn’t take well to illiterate fellows. The hearth is his home.

[name]Genevieve[/name] has rich chocolate brown hair and dark skin. Her eyes are a dazzling gold unlike ever seen before. She has a boisterous laugh and a great sense of humor. She can sing better than anyone in Newcastle. She isn’t fond of pubs, and has never had a boyfriend because she thinks committing to someone so young is foolish. She has strong beliefs and will never back down.

[name]Adair[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a 10 year old girl with dark brown hair usually pulled back in a ponytail and pretty ocean blue eyes. She lives in a little cottage near a forest that she loves to spend her time it. She is carefree, and usually has a slight grin on her face. She would rather climb trees and play with animals than go into a nearby town to shop and socialize.

[name]Cassia[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] has grass green eyes and wavy chocolate brown hair. She is a 15 year old that lives in a small town. She has an oak tree in her backyard with a hammock attached to it. She loves to spend her days reading and daydreaming in it. She is of medium build, but has a delicate vibe about her. Though she can be stubborn, she always acts with good intentions.

[name]Isla[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] has blue-green eyes and straight strawberry blonde hair. She is 16 years old and lives in the big city. She is popular and is always surrounded by friends. [name]Even[/name] though she loves to shop and be a girly-girl, she is a member of her school track and cross country team. She has a charming laugh but usually has a serious air about her.

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Sonnet[/name] has long cherry brown hair usually tied with a ribbon in a braid. She also has large, innocent dark blue eyes. She is 8 years old and is quite petite. She has a sweet singing voice and loves to sing in her church’s choir. She is naive, but always wants to help out those she loves in as many ways possible. She usually finds herself humming in her mother’s flower gardens while watching hummingbirds and butterflies visit.

[name]Rose[/name] [name]Alessandra[/name] is 18 years old and has reddish-brown hair. Her eyes are honey brown and are almond-shaped. She prefers a natural look-wearing minimal makeup and preferring more conservative clothing. She likes to think of herself as a high-class lady, and moves with grace and delicacy. Although she tries her best with mastering normal ‘high class’ hobbies, she is very smart and devotes herself to her studies.

[name]Luna[/name] has been my favourite name for well over 10 years now, and I have always associated it with a beautiful little brunette girl, with cloudy blue-grey eyes and a love for reading. [name]Katerina[/name] has long, dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes, a cheeky smile and loves dancing.
I associate [name]Theodore[/name] ([name]Theo[/name]) as a little boy with sandy blonde hair and big blue eyes, looks slightly young for his age and a cute gap between his front teeth. [name]Hector[/name] I see with brown hair, cloudy blue-grey eyes, loud and with a love for sports (potentially a twin for [name]Luna[/name]).

[name]Catherine[/name] [name]Isabella[/name]- 4 years old. She has light slightly wavy brown hair with brown eyes. She prefers to wear dresses and have ribbons in her hair. She is very smart, and enjoys reading with mom. She is shy and sweet.
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]- 5 years old. She has dark curly hair with dark green eyes. She likes wearing dresses but also enjoys wearing a t-shirt and shorts because it is easier to play. She is more adventurous than her younger sister (assume this is a sib-set) and enjoys being outdoors. She is more outspoken and friendly.
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]- 6 years old. She has dirty blond hair with slight curls and blue eyes. She likes old fashioned things and wants to be a ballerina when she grows up. She is shy when you first meet her but when you get to know her, she has a bubbly personality.
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]- 8 Years old. She has dark hair that she wears in a ponytail with brown eyes. She likes playing sports and going shopping. She wants to be a soccer player when she grows up.

I [name]LOVE[/name] your imagery of [name]August[/name] and [name]Ronan[/name].

When I imagine…

[name]Gabriel[/name], I think of a brunnette little boy about the age of four with bright green eyes and a knack for exploring. He gets hurt a lot from his adventures, but hardly cries because he is tough.

[name]Juliette[/name]/[name]Juliet[/name], I think of a girl about the age of 6 or 7 with wavy, long blonde hair and a sweet smile. She’s shy and doesn’t like to talk much, but she’s very inclusive and kind.

[name]Marco[/name] and [name]Luca[/name] are twin five year old boys with dark brown hair and brownish-green eyes. Their father is from [name]Italy[/name] and their mother from the US. They live in a high rise in Chicago and they are the stars on the soccer team for their private school.

There’s a 2nd grader I work with who is a handful. You could say he is the identified bad kid of the group. He’s got buzzed blond hair, a pinched face, sharp eyes. He tries to be good, but it’s more difficult for him than it is for other kids. Once, as they were leaving, my colleague asked him his name. [name]Riley[/name].

Of course. Of course it’s [name]Riley[/name].

He told us of his pet rat named Rascal, how Rascal misbehaves. We commented after he left that his rat’s name should have been [name]Riley[/name]!

[name]Skye[/name]- [name]Skye[/name] is a girl with straight hair that curls on the ends. She has ocean blue eyes and dimples. She’s very intelligent and loves writing and reading. She lives in the forest and always smells like the woods. [name]Skye[/name] adores rain and loves dogs. She hates shopping.
[name]Xander[/name]- [name]Xander[/name] is a 5 year old boy with caramel-blonde hair and green eyes. He loves sports and is very kind and considerate. [name]Xander[/name] says a lot of wise things at 5 but does not realize it.
[name]Jane[/name]- She is about 6 years old and very shy. She has soft brown curls and gray eyes, and dimples. [name]Jane[/name] is very smart and enjoys wearing dresses and ribbons in her hair.
[name]Lucas[/name]- he’s about 10 and has sandy brown hair and blue eyes. He is very outdoorsy and likes to hunt. All of the girls at school have crushes on him.