Name Lilia

Hello berries.

First of all I want to thank each and everyone of you who responded to my previous posts. But here I am again with another question!

My husband and I are more after international names rather than a name that is directly associated with a specific race. So I really appreciate if you could share your opinion on this matter and also if you don’t mind share where you are living.

Thanks so much all my fellow berry friends.

[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is a very international name to me, the ones I know are all Slavic! I also get called [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] sometimes as a nickname, and I’m from Greece. As far as I’m aware it’s much more popular in Central and Eastern European countries than anywhere Spanish-speaking.

3 Likes

I’ve only met one [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], who was an American with central European Jewish ancestry. I’ve always thought of it as a very international name and not associated with a particular race or background!

1 Like

I wouldn’t have made that association, no. I live in an area with a large Hispanic/Spanish-speaking population. (southeast Texas)

1 Like

i definitely wouldn’t assume a lilia is hispanic! the lilia i know is english, as have the most of the lillas and lilys i know. such a gorgeous name!

1 Like

No! For me my first association is the flower and second is of Russian/Slavic connotations.

But I adore the name [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] and I am not from a Slavic speaking country.

1 Like

No, not at all. I think Lilia is very international and works well on anyone! Gorgeous name. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would see [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] as more international - not particularly tied to one culture.

I’m in the UK and irl, I’ve come across an [name_f]English[/name_f] [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] and one with Slavic heritage.

1 Like

I wouldn’t assume that a [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is hispanic, it fells very international to me!

1 Like

I’m a mother of a [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]!

[name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is Russian connected to Slavic languages and strongly associated with Eastern Europe. However [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is truly international which for me was part of her appeal. She’s connected to Eastern Europe, [name_f]Russia[/name_f], Spain, [name_u]Israel[/name_u] along with other parts of the Middle [name_u]East[/name_u] such as Lebanon, [name_u]Hawaii[/name_u] and Northern [name_f]Africa[/name_f]. I wouldn’t assume [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] was Hispanic I actually wouldn’t assume [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] was of any particular culture because she is so diverse. I chose [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] for my daughter because she’s strongly connected to Ashkenazi Jewish culture which honours my mum and her background. However the reason why I like [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] was because she’s not strongly connected to any ethnicity as my daughter comes from a diverse background (she’s of mixed heritage consisting of black Ugandan, Ashkenazi Jewish + Scottish/Irish) so I personally wouldn’t worry about the name [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] not suiting your genetic makeup/cultural background. The only other [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] I’ve met was white [name_f]English[/name_f] so she’s really universal.

2 Likes

I love Lilia, and I don’t think of it as Hispanic! All the origins I’ve seen have been elsewhere, not any way Spanish speaking. I know one girl named Lilia, and she’s a blonde, light-skinned American. Darling little girl!

Lilia is my top contender for a future daughter. I love that it’s uncommon, yet still familiar 🩷 My first post on Nameberry was actually gauging perceptions on the vibes for the name, which you might find helpful. It isn’t about your specific question in this post, but I think it may still add something. ETA:, one commenter did mention it was international, being Hawaiian and European.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion and location. Helps me get its vibe much better.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your opinion and the post. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback in this post and the previous ones.

Now that you have a [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] you may be able to help me with sth else as well.

How do you deal with the fact that it gets mixed up with other similar names lile [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_u]Lilian[/name_u], [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Liana[/name_f] etc?

I like the name but I think one big downside is this and I am not sure if she will need to correct people ll the time her entire life!

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever met or heard of a Spanish-speaking person named [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. Maybe it is used in Spanish but I don’t believe it’s particularly common or popular.

It is fairly common in [name_f]Russia[/name_f] and ex-Soviet Union countries though, and that would be my main association.

Hispanic here~

I don’t personally think of it as a Spanish name, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to meet a Hispanic named [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] but I don’t think of it as a particularly Hispanic name. It’s very international and used in so many place with so many different origins, if you were asking about [name_f]Luna[/name_f] or [name_f]Aitana[/name_f] or [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f] then it would be different, but I think you’re definitely fine with [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]

So it is really frustrating as her name is often mispronounced or understood as something else or not understood at all. I actually really struggled with this when I first started introducing [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] to the wider world. I also think because I live in a country where [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is popular but her variants are unheard off [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] really throws people. I think [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] would be easier if you lived somewhere where her variants are heard off. Still I wouldn’t allow that to deter you from using [name_f]Lilia[/name_f]. I get tons of compliments on her name and I think [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] is beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience. Much appreciated.

1 Like