Name nightmare???

My daughter [name]Sariah[/name] will be 6 wks old tomorrow, and so far EVERYONE outside of the immediate family has pronounced her name incorrectly! When they see it (doctors and relatives that I sent announcements to), they say Sar-ee-uh or Suh-ree-uh, not Suh-rye-uh. I am so frustrated at this. I knew there would be pn issues, but I didn’t think it would be this bad. And to top it off, no one can spell it correctly either. I’ve gotten Siriah and Sariha and Suraiya! And the people spelling the name has been mostly family members who should know how to spell it. I don’t know what to do, I love her name so much and I don’t want to change it, but she is going to go through the rest of her life with constant mispellings and mispronounciations of her name. The only thing I could think of is changing the spelling of her name. Please help! I don’t know what to do here. My husband thinks I’m crazy, but this is really bothering me.

I’m so sorry to hear this, [name]Raquel[/name]. :frowning: I’m also surprised that people can’t spell or pronounce it, because it seems pretty straightforward. A poster recently had the same worries about her son’s name, [name]Rhys[/name], and as I told her, their inability to pronounce or spell the name reflects their lack of knowlegde, as opposed to the name she chose. (I think you chose a beautiful name…)

I personally think that any change of spelling will make [name]Sariah[/name] look misspelled and take away from the name’s history. I think [name]Sariah[/name] is a beautiful name, and considering that people are so familiar with [name]Mariah[/name] (as in [name]Carey[/name]), I would think its pronunciation would be obvious.

Have you thought about going with [name]Sarah[/name]?

Aside from the name issue, I hope you’re doing well! :slight_smile:

Take care…

[name]Raquel[/name],

I’m so sorry that this is happening to you and bothering you so much! I hate to be blunt, but sometimes it is the price you pay for picking a name that isn’t very common. [name]Sariah[/name] is just six weeks old - people will learn! I can guarantee you that she won’t go through her entire life with people misspelling and mis-pronouncing her name. Your family will learn, your neighbors will learn, her daycare providers and teachers will learn - heck, even the doctor’s office will learn! Be patient, be calm, and be assertive. When you meet someone new, say, “This is my daughter, [name]Sariah[/name]. Spelled and pronounced like [name]Mariah[/name], as in [name]Carey[/name].” Clarify pronunciation and spelling if necessary - it will get better!

I don’t think you should change it. You love it. [name]Patrick[/name] loves it. I’m sure your family has come around a bit. And, I guarantee you that [name]Little[/name] Miss [name]Sariah[/name] [name]Raquel[/name] will love her name when she is older. Misspellings and mispronunciations are meaningless - in my opinion - when you have a beautiful, elegant, unique name with a pretty meaning! (And, please don’t change the spelling! It would ruin the integrity and beauty of this classic name, in my opinion.)

As for the family spelling the name wrong, maybe you could send out a “[name]Sariah[/name] is Six Months Old!” card to each of them, and that way they might see it and remember how to pronounce and spell the name…

Hang in there [name]Raquel[/name]! Things will get better - I just know it!

[name]Lauren[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank you ladies so much.

[name]Jill[/name], unfortunately it seems as if there are more people who have a lack of knowledge than those who don’t lack it. I was thinking this very thing as I was just feeding [name]Sariah[/name]. The worn out wheels in my brain were working over-time with different spellings and not one appealed to me other than [name]Sariah[/name]. I then thought, it’s a shame there are so many morons in the world (sorry for the harsh word, but I was rather angry at the moment) that can’t pn a simple name. As far as [name]Sarah[/name], while it is a beautiful name there are so many of them that I grew up with, and so many now also. We wanted the name to be uncommon so people were “wowed” by it when they hear it, and most are - IF you tell them the name, not if they see it then say it. And most of the time I’m also asked how to spell it (especially by the elderly ladies).

I am doing well. I had a little scare with some results from a blood test, but it turned out to be a false positive caused by the treatments I got during the pregnancy. I had to stop breastfeeding for almost 2 wks b/c of it, and I was so worried that I almost had a few anxiety attacks (the disease they thought I had can cause leukemia). But I got the true results back a few days ago, and I am fine - everything is fine! [name]Sariah[/name] is wonderful, and [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Alanna[/name] are great with her. :smiley:

[name]Lauren[/name] - my sis-in-law said something similar about the name being so uncommon. And hopefully with time the name will become a little more common and more people will “learn” how to pn it. That’s a good idea about the 6 mo old card.

Well, take care ladies. I hope to see you around here soon. It’s been so hard to get on here lately, but I’ll try to pop on occasionally.

[name]Sariah[/name] is a beautiful name! I think people will figure out how to say and spell it. I wouldn’t change it because it is really cool. I know how to pronounce it.
I think [name]Sarah[/name] is very pretty, too. But [name]Sariah[/name] makes me think of an a very adventurous girl who loves to take chances and leap around the room!

We’d love to hear from you, [name]Raquel[/name]! [name]Glad[/name] that scare got back on the right page - that wouldn’t have been good at all! I’m so happy [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Alanna[/name] are adoring their baby sister - how cute.

Yeah, do consider sending out a six month card, if only to show off how gorgeous your baby - I’m assuming - is! You could make it a photo [name]Valentine[/name]'s [name]Day[/name] card (Valentine's Day Cards | Cute V-Day Cards | Shutterfly)…

Take care,

[name]Lauren[/name]

[name]How[/name] annoying! I think [name]Sariah[/name] is a beautiful name, and I’m surprised people can’t pronounce it. I went through the same exact thing with my son([name]Dashiell[/name] prn. [name]Dash[/name]-ul, not Duh-sheel, or Da-she-ell), absolutely no one could spell it right and doctors or other people who had only read it all said it wrong. [name]Even[/name] both his grandmothers spelled it wrong. It was very frustrating! I briefly thought about changing the spelling, but then decided that I wasn’t going to spell my son’s name wrong because people hadn’t heard it before! He’s 11 months now and everyone has figured out how to say it and spell it. So, I guess my advice is just to wait it out! People will figure it out!

I’m sorry to admit that I automatically thought it was prn (Sah-[name]Ree[/name]-[name]Ah[/name]) when i read your topic.

People have always pronounced my name wrong too and it completely does my head in. I’d suggest a change of spelling.

[name]Don[/name]'t get down! It is a beautiful name and you have such a blessing! I understand the annoyance. When we named our daughter [name]Emery[/name] I knew we would get people calling her [name]Emily[/name] (mostly the elderly including my 94 year old grandfather but I cut him some slack even though he sharp and still works as a lawyer daily). I almost always get asked how to spell it and people constantly spell it [name]Emory[/name] even my father does it sometimes. Right now there are so many emotional highs and lows not to mention the health scare you had. Breath! :wink: you gave your daughter a beautiful name and I would not change it for all the ignorant people. I hope venting here helps. Best wishes to you and your beautiful daughter.

hi, I am the posted who wrote about the same experience after naming my son [name]Rhys[/name] ( said like [name]Reese[/name]). For what it is worth I love your daughter’s name and I knew how to say it right away. I do not think you should change the spelling - as it changes the name. [name]Sarah[/name] is so common and no where as cool as [name]Sariah[/name]! Honestly it is just like [name]Mariah[/name] - what is so hard about that?! I know exactly how you feel but please give it time…it is a unique name and people need to learn it. My son is a few months older then your baby now and I am prepared for the issues- yesterday I even wrote out how to say it at the doctors office and they thanked me. I think you will get a lot of compliments once people learn it. I have an unusual name and as an adult I am glad as it is different and people remember it for being unique but I am sure my Mother went through the same thing back then. It will get better - you love and that is what matters. It is truly gorgeous.

[name]Sariah[/name] is a beautiful name. :slight_smile: That being said I don’t know why you would expect everyone to know how to pronounce it though. I don’t think it shows people are ignorant or unknowledgeable at all! I just think that they are pronouncing it the way it COULD be pronounced…just not the way you WANT it to be. I think it might happen a lot in the future and you need to come to terms with it or else you’re going to find yourself constantly frustrated. I’m not trying to upset you more. I’m just telling you the truth as I see it. If you have such a problem with mispronunciation then you migth consider a more straight forward spelling.

[name]Just[/name] tell them it is pronounced and spelled like [name]Mariah[/name] with an S. That will definitely help them to remember how to spell it. I think the spelling is just fine the way it is, and from the beginning when you first mentioned this name I always pronounced it properly. Give people some time. If it helps, I have spelled my name (first and last) for people all my life, and I really haven’t minded, and she probably won’t either. It just makes her unique, and you know how kids love to be unique in their own way. Good luck!

[name]Raquel[/name],

I wrote a poem in honor of [name]Sariah[/name]'s First [name]Valentine[/name]'s [name]Day[/name]. I think you should send it out to your family and friends with a portrait of her, [name]Jacob[/name], and [name]Alanna[/name]. Ha!

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Our new child”s growing,
But that”s nothing new!
Her name is [name]Sariah[/name],
Our princess so sweet,
It rhymes with [name]Mariah[/name],
We tell all who we meet.
At six weeks old,
She”s just so divine,
We love her so much,
Our littlest [name]Valentine[/name]!

[name]Happy[/name] [name]Valentine[/name]'s [name]Day[/name]!
[name]Raquel[/name].[name]Patrick[/name].[name]Jacob[/name].[name]Alanna[/name].[name]Sariah[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Lauren[/name]

I’m going to write a poem, too.

Are you dense?
You’re talkin’ nonsense!
No, not Sa-[name]REE[/name]-uh,
No, not SARE-ee-uh,
It’s Sah-[name]RYE[/name]-uh
Or I’ll poke you in the EYE-uh.

[name]Lauren[/name], I love your poem it’s so cute but also nice and subtle.

[name]Susan[/name], seriously lol! There is nothing subtle about your poem, I [name]LOVE[/name] it!

And [name]Raquel[/name], I echo the sentiments of most of the other posters. I love the name [name]Sariah[/name]. I don’t think you should change a thing about it because it is an amazing name. I agree that with time it will not be so much of an issue. Your relatives, friends and doctors will get it soon, just make sure to correct them when they get it wrong. As for the rest of her life, I don’t think it will be too bad. The first day of school each year may be a bit annoying, but again people will become familiar with the name and it won’t be an everyday struggle.

I [name]LOVE[/name] it! You should definitely send out something like this to help the slower family members catch on!

I’m just writing to affirm what others have already said-- people [name]WILL[/name] figure out how to pronounce [name]Sariah[/name]'s name. It just might take a little more time for some than others!
It is such a gorgeous name and I’ll bet it will leave a lasting impression on those she meets in her life!

I have an unusual name too and I remember substitute teachers struggling with it, but by that time all my classmates knew how to pronounce it and would correct them for me!
I still have my name mispronounced occasionally but when it happens it doesn’t really bother me. Honestly I’d much rather deal with correcting people’s pronunciation than have a common name!

[name]Do[/name] your best to grin and bear it for now and before you know it, people will start getting it right more often than they get it wrong!
Good luck to you!

All the poems are adorable!

I’m glad my poem is such a hit with you all! Hopefully that bodes well for [name]Raquel[/name]'s reaction, too. And here I was thinking I was an amateur. Ha!

[name]Susan[/name], your poem is great. I can picture someone rapping that, actually…

I don’t know why [name]Sariah[/name] is so hard to pronounce. If you know how to pronounce [name]Mariah[/name], you should know how to pronounce [name]Sariah[/name].

Speaking as someone who’s name is mispronounced, I would rather keep my name the way it should be spelled, instead of misspelling and have my name pronounced correctly.

Thanks, [name]Lemon[/name]!