Name or Fast Food Order?

I absolutely love the name [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] nn [name_m]Mac[/name_m] for a future son, and it works perfectly with the honor middles we want to use ([name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]) but does it clash too much with our last name ([name_m]Benn[/name_m])?

Mac is such a friendly, sporty nickname, but would a [name_m]Mac[/name_m] [name_m]Benn[/name_m] be resigned to a life of jokes because his name sounds like a McDonald’s order? [name_m]How[/name_m] likely is it [name_m]Mac[/name_m] would get lost in a sea of Maxes?

I know a friends baby called Michàel who goes mainly by [name_m]Mac[/name_m]. Surprisingly, I’d never made the McDonald’s connection until I read your post.

I really like the nickname [name_m]Mac[/name_m]! I don’t think of McDonald’s orders- only if your last name was Muffin or Flurry or something like that. I never would have made the connection if you hadn’t mentioned it, so I really think it’s fine. I think [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]/Mac works well with your last name! And I personally don’t think [name_m]Mac[/name_m] would get lost in a sea of Maxes.

1 Like

I know a [name_m]Mac[/name_m] for [name_u]Michael[/name_u] also! It works perfectly for him, and I’ve never made the connection haha.

1 Like

That’s such a great nickname for Michael! I don’t think Mac is automatically associated with McDonald’s - just that combined with our last name, it seems a bit close…

Their last name is [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] so [name_m]Mac[/name_m] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] - so you can compare

1 Like

I would never think about McDonald’s. [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] J@mes [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] is a fantastic name!

1 Like

I wouldn’t have thought of that, and especially since it’s only a nickname I think you’re fine!

I think it’s cute. It doesn’t sound like fast food lol.

I wouldn’t have made the McDonald’s association at first glance, but I do think that [name_m]Mac[/name_m] doesn’t flow very well with the surname. What about using the nickname [name_m]Colm[/name_m]?

I agree

There’s a Disney [name_f]Channel[/name_f] movie called Teen [name_u]Beach[/name_u] Movie and the main character is named McKenzie (or some spelling variation of the name) with the nn [name_m]Mac[/name_m].

I think it’s a cute nn, personally. But I can totally see the child being teased/bullied if he or she is slightly overweight because of their nn.

Malcolm is a handsome name and doesn’t need a nn.

I don’t think this will be a big deal as far as teasing. Mind you, kids can be little jerks ([name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_u]Christian[/name_u] and they used to call my [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] :roll_eyes:). They tend to find ways to make fun of each other. I say go for it. [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] [name_m]Benn[/name_m] will be just fine.

Mac is fantastic. I love it! I don’t think [name_u]Max[/name_u] is popular enough that a [name_m]Mac[/name_m] wouls ger lost

Mac would be great. I would certainly use it if I were in your position.

I don’t think of McDonald’s when I see the name. My first thought was actually MacGuyver, the tv show where the main character, Angus MacGuyver, goes by Mac. Though only a character on a tv show, he was known as an creative innovator and problem solver on both the original and current series. The second Mac I thought of is Mac Taylor from CSI: NY.

I think it’s fine! I say [name_m]Mac[/name_m] ([name_u]Mack[/name_u]) differently than “Mc” (mick), so I wouldn’t make the association.
I think [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] is a great choice!

I don’t think of McDonalds straight away. But I will say I took it off of my own list because I was worried about the nickname “Big [name_m]Mac[/name_m]” if my child were ever on the heavy side.

I also agree with others that I don’t think it flows great with your last name.

i love the name! i don’t think it sounds like a mcdonald’s order. you should keep the name (:

Just don’t call him Big [name_m]Mac[/name_m] and you’ll be fine. A far as flowing with your name goes, you aren’t like to be saying [name_m]Mac[/name_m] [name_m]Benn[/name_m] often. If the last name is added, it’s more likely the full first name would be used, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

My middle son is named [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] so I’m a bit biased :blush: , but it’s a great name! [name_f]My[/name_f] son doesn’t really have a nickname, as [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] is great on its own, but if you want one, [name_m]Mac[/name_m] is cool. I wouldn’t have made the McDonald’s connection unless you had mentioned it, so I wouldn’t worry about it.