Name poll: Greek and Germanic names...

See the results of this poll: Which is your favorite first name?

Respondents: 23 (This poll is closed)

• Penelope: 18 (78%)
  • Noreni: 1 (4%)
  • Evolette: 0 (0%)
  • Everette: 0 (0%)
  • Megara: 4 (17%)

[name]Penelope[/name] doesn’t seem to fit your style, based on your other choices. I really generally don’t like names ending in -ette unless they are pretty standard. So my vote is for Noreni or the M- name

Noreni - I wouldn’t know how to begin to pronounce this, and I think that that may cause issues. It does look pretty written down, but I wouldn’t know whether it was nor-en-ee, nor-een-ee …

[name]Penelope[/name] - such a wonderful name! Vintage and unusual yet accessable, feminine but not frilly, refined but with a lot of fun nns ([name]Penny[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Nell[/name]/ie etc.). [name]Penelope[/name] Thais is pretty, but I think the flow of [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is unbeatable. [name]Calais[/name] is not a very pretty place, so I wouldn’t use it as a name, personally.

Evolette - it seems like it should be [name]Violet[/name], to me.

[name]Everette[/name] - I like the masculine version, but I just can’t get on board with this one - I don’t think there is enough destinction between this and [name]Everett[/name], I am afraid.

Megara - it sounds like a strange form of [name]Megan[/name], which I am not a fan of, in my head. I’m sorry!

My vote is definitely for [name]Penelope[/name] - good luck!

Your first guess was right. I have to correct people 99% of the time when they read my name aloud, and it’s never bothered me… if anything, it’s fun to collect all the ridiculous mispronunciations :wink: so I’ve never understood the “it’s hard to pronounce” strike against names.

[name]Penelope[/name] - such a wonderful name! Vintage and unusual yet accessable, feminine but not frilly, refined but with a lot of fun nns ([name]Penny[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Nell[/name]/ie etc.). [name]Penelope[/name] Thais is pretty, but I think the flow of [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Cate[/name] is unbeatable. [name]Calais[/name] is not a very pretty place, so I wouldn’t use it as a name, personally.

I tend to agree with you on the [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Cate[/name] vs. anything else, I loved [name]Calais[/name] until I knew the correct pronunciation (I thought it was cah-lah-ees, that’s the love of Greek names talking I suppose) and meaning, and Thais was somewhat a replacement for that sound-wise.

Evolette - it seems like it should be [name]Violet[/name], to me.

It’s so funny, EVERYONE seems to say that! I never would have made the connection until the first time I head that suggested.

[name]Everette[/name] - I like the masculine version, but I just can’t get on board with this one - I don’t think there is enough destinction between this and [name]Everett[/name], I am afraid.

[name]Everette[/name] and Evolette are my replacements for [name]Evelyn[/name], which we wanted for the nn [name]Evie[/name]. There’s a negative association with [name]Evelyn[/name] now, so we can’t use it.

Megara - it sounds like a strange form of [name]Megan[/name], which I am not a fan of, in my head. I’m sorry!

My vote is definitely for [name]Penelope[/name] - good luck!

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for the post!

Looking at the names by sound, I can see where [name]Penelope[/name] wouldn’t fit in. All our first names and most of the middle names are Latin, Greek or Germanic in origin, and from fictional characters that we both love… so in that context, it fits. [name]Penelope[/name] is a long-time favorite of my husband’s, but the others are favorites of mine (Noreni being my top choice).

I suspect that we’ll end up with [name]Penelope[/name] and Noreni in our heads at the birth (hence providing those as the primary choices for middle-name combos), and choose based on what seems to “fit.”

What’s eating at me is that I can’t seem to let go of [name]Palani[/name] for her middle name, but I just don’t like having “E” sounds at the end of both first AND middle names.

Noreni sounds like a type of noodle or pasta brand, I personally dont like it; [name]Penelope[/name], however, is beautiful and classic.

Haha! I would never have thought of that. Barilla, Buitoni, Martelli, Fratelli, Creamette… Noreni? Sure, why not :wink:
Out of curiosity… do other -eni names (like [name]Eleni[/name], for example), spark the same association, or just Noreni?

Noreni is an offshoot of [name]Eirene[/name] (a variant of [name]Irene[/name]), which is pronounced ay-REH-nee. I love [name]Eirene[/name] (heard first, then saw written) but dislike [name]Irene[/name], and I figure people are likely to mispronounce the former as the latter the vast majority of the time. I was relieved to find a name that sounds similar but with a much more intuitive pronunciation, or at least no mispronunciation that happens to be a name I don’t like.

I just came across Megara as a variation of [name]Margaret[/name]. I think it’s so pretty. [name]Penelope[/name] was my second choice.

Haha! I would never have thought of that. Barilla, Buitoni, Martelli, Fratelli, Creamette… Noreni? Sure, why not :wink:
Out of curiosity… do other -eni names (like [name]Eleni[/name], for example), spark the same association, or just Noreni?

Noreni is an offshoot of [name]Eirene[/name] (a variant of [name]Irene[/name]), which is pronounced ay-REH-nee. I love [name]Eirene[/name] (heard first, then saw written) but dislike [name]Irene[/name], and I figure people are likely to mispronounce the former as the latter the vast majority of the time. I was relieved to find a name that sounds similar but with a much more intuitive pronunciation, or at least no mispronunciation that happens to be a name I don’t like.[/quote]

[name]Eleni[/name] doesnt remind me of a noodle or noodle brand. It sounds like an upbeat form of [name]Elana[/name]; very pretty and very greek, no noddle connotation.

Over the past few days, since I’ve seen this post, Megara has grown on me. It would take some time for others to get used but has a unique charm and presents lots of nicknames ([name]Meg[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], etc.)

[name]Penelope[/name] Megara flows nice and is very very Greek