Name Profiles - mummyto3

mummyto3 -

I’m glad we cleared up that pronunciation issue at last! You’re right - I can definitely see [name]Maia[/name] with many of the aspects of [name]Natalia[/name]. [name]Genevieve[/name], as I mentioned before, has similar traits, too! I think what sets the names apart is their style - [name]Maia[/name] is more casual and spunky, [name]Natalia[/name] is more feminine and sophisticated, and [name]Genevieve[/name] is elegant and strong. All three are very similar in a way, though…

bostonsavvy -

I’m glad you liked the profiles! I think they are fun to do…

elea -

Thanks so much for that information! I know BBC is technically “the” P&P version to go by, for its similarities to the novel, but I just love Knightley’s depiction of [name]Elizabeth[/name] - she seems so very much like what I imagine Miss [name]Eliza[/name] to be (I really like her in general, too)!

Are you a BritLit fan, too? Any others you think I should be reading - or re-reading? I had someone tell me to go give [name]Jane[/name] Eyre another try recently, so maybe that will be next…

For all: anyone want to have a go at profiling my favorite names? They are - without middle names this time - [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Nathaniel[/name] (if you want extras, my thirds for each gender are [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Peter[/name]). [name]Just[/name] if you want to…

Yes, the character of those three names are different. I love them all! I guess longer names tend to be a bit more elegant.
I am really going to be v poor at profiling compared to you but I will try to write something!

[name]Lydia[/name]- I imagine a strong, attractive woman with dark, wavy hair and fair skin. I think she could be a bit fussy/ moany as a little girl and quite headstrong as a adult. I see her as a leader rather than a follower.

[name]Charlotte[/name]- a softer name. I imagine an easy going, likeable child with light brown hair and brown eyes.

[name]Henry[/name]- solid and reliable. [name]Henry[/name] could be quite cheeky and fun as a child but I see him growing into a more serious adult. I would imagine him as a blond but I think he could have any colouring.

[name]Nathaniel[/name]- I can imagine a [name]Nathaniel[/name] being quite ‘cool’ and popular amongst his peers. I definitely imagine [name]Nathaniel[/name] as dark haired and good looking.

I am sorry [name]Lemon[/name] because this is no where near as good as your descriptions but it was only fair to have a try!!

I agree that though the BBC version is the original, I prefer the newer version. I love how [name]Keira[/name] Knightley portrays [name]Elizabeth[/name]. She seems just perfect for the role and the passion between [name]Darcy[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] is much more pronounced to me in the newer version than in the old (though I do love [name]Colin[/name] [name]Firth[/name]!)
That being said, I’m going to give a try at profiling your names, though I doubt I will be as good as you were with mummyto3’s names! :slight_smile:

[name]Lydia[/name]: I imagine a very sophisticated young woman with darker hair and big grey eyes. She’s not afraid to speak her mind but knows how to check her tongue and keep herself out of the limelight when it is appropriate (a bit different from [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Bennett[/name], I must say :slight_smile: She might be a bit of a princess as a younger child but has respect for others all the same.

[name]Charlotte[/name]: [name]Charlotte[/name] feels like a petite woman, little in many ways. She would be quiet bordering on shyness but in truth she would be just a very reserved and private person. I feel that [name]Charlotte[/name] would have blonde hair (either very light and straight and silky or a darker golden and curly)

[name]Alice[/name]: I picture [name]Alice[/name] as a woman (small again) with an enormous amount of spunk and character. She would have the exotic air to her that would make people automatically attracted to her and want to get to know her. [name]Alice[/name] would have either light brown hair and bright green eyes or much darker hair, almost black, and equally dark eyes.

[name]Henry[/name]: [name]Henry[/name] to me is very much the gentleman. This may be because [name]Henry[/name] gives a very Victorian [name]England[/name] feel to me. He would have chestnut curls and sparkling green eyes. On the outside, he would appear reserved, well-mannered and slightly with-drawn but once you got to know him, he would be very friendly, outgoing and a loyal friend.

[name]Nathaniel[/name]: I imagine a carefree young man that goes by [name]Nate[/name] or [name]Nathan[/name]. I see him as being enthusiastic and very expressive, quite unafraid to show his personality to others. I would imagine him with sandy hair and eyes that express his emotions (unsure of the color though) or with shiny dark hair and dark eyes.

[name]Peter[/name]: I imagine a shorter man as [name]Peter[/name]. He’s not very tall but what he lacks in height he makes up for in his bubbly and bounce-back type of personality. He is quite optimistic and eager, always happy to try new things out. Failures don’t seem to affect him in the slightest and he just tries again in everything that goes wrong with a very upbeat mood. [name]Peter[/name] to me could be anyone. I see him as one with blonde hair, an [name]African[/name]-American, blue eyes and so on.

That was fun :)- [name]Hope[/name] I did okay!

Yes, the character of those three names are different. I love them all! I guess longer names tend to be a bit more elegant.
I am really going to be v poor at profiling compared to you but I will try to write something!

[name]Lydia[/name]- I imagine a strong, attractive woman with dark, wavy hair and fair skin. I think she could be a bit fussy/ moany as a little girl and quite headstrong as a adult. I see her as a leader rather than a follower.

[name]Charlotte[/name]- a softer name. I imagine an easy going, likeable child with light brown hair and brown eyes.

[name]Henry[/name]- solid and reliable. [name]Henry[/name] could be quite cheeky and fun as a child but I see him growing into a more serious adult. I would imagine him as a blond but I think he could have any colouring.

[name]Nathaniel[/name]- I can imagine a [name]Nathaniel[/name] being quite ‘cool’ and popular amongst his peers. I definitely imagine [name]Nathaniel[/name] as dark haired and good looking.

I am sorry [name]Lemon[/name] because this is no where near as good as your descriptions but it was only fair to have a try!![/quote]

You did quite well, mummyto3, so don’t worry!

[name]Lydia[/name] - I really love this description (well, minus the fussy part, but I see that, too), but dark hair? Really?

[name]Charlotte[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it. [name]Just[/name] as I imagine her…

[name]Henry[/name] - Perfection! [name]Just[/name] what I would want in a son, I think. I see him with medium (or darker) brown hair, personally…

[name]Nathaniel[/name] - I see him a bit fairer, but really nice description!

Great work! Thanks!

My sister is the Literature student in the family so I mostly get the recs from her. However I’ve pretty much watched every single Regency/Victorian novel-TV adaptation ever made (including all 4 P&P adaptations --even the old 40s one!). I love them! In general I like reading the books as well, but some I just can’t get into. Dickens is a good example. Great writer…just not for me. I’ll watch the adaptations, thanks LOL.

But I have read all of the [name]Austen[/name] and liked them (except [name]Mansfield[/name] [name]Park[/name] and Northanger [name]Abbey[/name]). P&P and Persuasion are the ones I keep re-reading though. I do dust [name]Jane[/name] Eyre off every now and then as well. I also enjoyed [name]North[/name] and South by [name]Elizabeth[/name] Gaskell. Actually the BBC adaptation for this is amazing as well! :slight_smile:

Of the 2 newest P&P adaps (1995 and 2005) I like them both, although I think the 1995 one pips it for me. I like both [name]Keira[/name] Knightley and [name]Matthew[/name] Macfaddyen as actors, but I just didn’t ‘buy’ them as a couple; or at least perhaps not [name]Matthew[/name] – his [name]Darcy[/name] comes off not so much as haughty but soppy for me. Where did [name]JAs[/name] strong, masculine, if proud-and-a-bit-snobby-at-first hero go? While the 1995 version was lot less sensational (closer to the book as you said) I think [name]Jennifer[/name] Ehle and [name]Colin[/name] [name]Firth[/name] made a more convincing pair. Possibly because they were a couple – so the chemistry was genuine.
I do prefer [name]Jane[/name] / Bingley in 2005 version though. They beat all the others hands down :slight_smile:

My perfect version would mix together the cast of both the 1995 and 2005 version:

[name]Darcy[/name] - 1995
[name]Lizzy[/name] - 1995
[name]Jane[/name] - 2005
Bingley - 2005
[name]Mary[/name] - 1995
[name]Kitty[/name] - 2005
[name]Lydia[/name] - 2005
Mrs [name]Bennet[/name] - 1995
Mr [name]Bennet[/name] - 1995
[name]Caroline[/name] - 1995
[name]Charlotte[/name] - 2005
Mr Colins - 1995

I, too, adore [name]Keira[/name]'s depiction of [name]Elizabeth[/name], as she is everything I imagine while reading the book. Indeed, re-reading it after watching that movie recently is such a pleasure because I envision her with everything that [name]Eliza[/name] says! And, [name]Matthew[/name] Macfadyen has such a serious, passionate, expressive face! [name]Love[/name] it. Is it me, or does BBC tend to downplay a good love story?

[name]Lydia[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this! I think it really hits the nail on the head. But, you and mummyto3 both see a girl with dark hair as [name]Lydia[/name]? I am so confused!

[name]Charlotte[/name] - In most ways, I agree. [name]Lovely[/name] profile…

[name]Alice[/name] - The first sentence is exactly what I think!

[name]Henry[/name] - Aww! So sweet…

[name]Nathaniel[/name] - [name]Love[/name] that fair description, and confidence for sure! [name]Nate[/name], never [name]Nathan[/name].

[name]Peter[/name] - Sounds like a sweet, [name]Peter[/name] Rabbit! Great!

Thanks for doing that! So fun to see what we all think!

I, too, adore [name]Keira[/name]'s depiction of [name]Elizabeth[/name], as she is everything I imagine while reading the book. Indeed, re-reading it after watching that movie recently is such a pleasure because I envision her with everything that [name]Eliza[/name] says! And, [name]Matthew[/name] Macfadyen has such a serious, passionate, expressive face! [name]Love[/name] it. Is it me, or does BBC tend to downplay a good love story?

[name]Lydia[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this! I think it really hits the nail on the head. But, you and mummyto3 both see a girl with dark hair as [name]Lydia[/name]? I am so confused!

[name]Charlotte[/name] - In most ways, I agree. [name]Lovely[/name] profile…

[name]Alice[/name] - The first sentence is exactly what I think!

[name]Henry[/name] - Aww! So sweet…

[name]Nathaniel[/name] - [name]Love[/name] that fair description, and confidence for sure! [name]Nate[/name], never [name]Nathan[/name].

[name]Peter[/name] - Sounds like a sweet, [name]Peter[/name] Rabbit! Great!

Thanks for doing that! So fun to see what we all think![/quote]

It was great fun to do :slight_smile: I write stories and I often do profiling for my own characters but it’s much better to do it on someone else’s names!
I think that BBC does seem to downplay those wonderful romances. There’s so much potential in Pride and Prejudice, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t want to bring it out in every way they can… hmm. Anyway, I was wondering if one of you would be willing to do a profiling on some of my own favorite names. They are [name]Lilia[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] ([name]Rose[/name] and [name]William[/name] are the extras. [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] are actually both in my top three but we’ve already done profiling one them…)
Thanks!

[name]Just[/name] for fun, ladies, I’m going to profile my own names. This is going to be very tough because I’m going to have to fight what I want them to be like…

Oh, just so we all know - I am relatively tall, have blue eyes (I like to say they are slate blue, with a near-black ring around the iris), and have medium-brown (though my mother says it was blond when I was young) wavy hair…

[name]Lydia[/name] - [name]Lydia[/name] is cheerful and boisterous. I envision a loud, carefree child, her blond curls bouncing in the wind as she runs. She is inquisitive and intelligent, and her sparkling blue eyes reflect her passion and interest in the world around her. She can be reflective and calm - and has good manners when asked - but she prefers to be outspoken and opinionated. [name]Lydia[/name] is a true friend, a people-person, and a real charmer.

[name]Charlotte[/name] - [name]Charlotte[/name], in contrast to her “sister,” [name]Lydia[/name], is quiet and reserved. [name]Charlotte[/name] prefers to explore her world independently, and she wouldn’t be considered a social butterfly in the least. She is delicate and calm, a smaller girl with brown hair and bright blue eyes. She is dedicated and respectful, and her intelligence is clear in her broad vocabulary and articulate speech. [name]Charlotte[/name] is graceful and sweet, and her close circle of friends take solace in her warmth and comforting smiles.

[name]Alice[/name] - [name]Alice[/name] is spunky and sweet, but she favors the wild side more like [name]Lydia[/name]. She is lanky and thin, but [name]Alice[/name] is a very active, energetic girl. I see [name]Alice[/name] running on the soccer field, her wavy brown hair flying from its pony tail, and her deep brown eyes twinkling in the sun as she scores a winning goal. She can be elegant and sophisticated when called upon, but her grace is far less than [name]Charlotte[/name]'s. What she lacks in book smarts - though she is still a very bright child - she makes up for in street smarts, as her sense of adventure is bold and powerful.

Okay - so maybe I got a bit carried away. Basically, I see [name]Lydia[/name] as a bit of a spoiled older sister, pretty and elegant, but sassy and smart. [name]Charlotte[/name] is a middle child, small and quiet, careful and obedient. [name]Alice[/name] is a wild child, a little girl with energy and a smile, who looks up to her big sisters.

[name]Henry[/name] - [name]Henry[/name] is tall and handsome, with darker hair and calm brown eyes. He is an adventurous boy, with a keen sense of direction and an eye for nature. I see him as the Boy [name]Scout[/name] type, eager to learn and explore. [name]Henry[/name] is popular among his peers, and he is regarded as a gentleman by his female companions. He is intelligent and witty, articulate and organized.

[name]Nathaniel[/name] - [name]Nathaniel[/name], or [name]Nate[/name], is a golden child. Obedient and quiet as a toddler, intelligent and active as a child, and successful and charming as a man. [name]Nate[/name], with his shaggy golden locks - or perhaps a shade of light brown - and piercing blue eyes, is handsome, yet his intelligence earns him the favor of his companions. He is respected and well-liked.

[name]Peter[/name] - [name]Peter[/name] is more of a quiet, inquisitive type. He takes pleasure in exploring his world from within himself, carefully taking in his surroundings. [name]Pete[/name] is a bit like a professor in this way. On the other side, [name]Peter[/name] is charming and social, a real people-person. He is sweet and gentle to his peers, and his boyish smile and rugged good looks - brown hair and green-ish eyes - attract people to him. He is a well-rounded child and successful, lovely young man.

So, what do you think, girls? Have I lost my mind?

Thanks for putting a smile on my face, ladies :slight_smile:

It is interesting that [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] are fairly similar in all the descriptions, [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Nathaniel[/name] too in some ways. I don’t know whey I think of [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Nate[/name] as dark haired really. I picture [name]Nate[/name] as someone all the ladies like (although he is not a playboy)!
My sister is called [name]Alice[/name] and I have to say that she is really quite different to your descriptions!
Can I ask you to do just one more profile for me? Only if you have time. I wondered how you would see a [name]Lucas[/name] (have been concentrating on girls so far)!!

I was quite surprised to see that you thought a [name]Lydia[/name] as one with lighter hair. To me, [name]Lydia[/name] is only a brunette. I only know one [name]Lydia[/name] but she has red hair! But then, she never did look like a [name]Lydia[/name] to me. :slight_smile: I also only see a [name]Charlotte[/name] with blonde hair. I know three Charlottes, all blonde, so it does make sense to some degree.
I love your description of [name]Nathaniel[/name]- [name]Nate[/name]. He does seem to fit the image I have. [name]Peter[/name] is lovely too.

Girls, I’ll do your profiling as soon as I can - I promise!

The only [name]Lydia[/name] I know has near white-blonde hair, and the [name]Charlotte[/name] I know has very dark brown hair!

mummyto3, what is your sister, [name]Alice[/name], like?

lilli23:

[name]LILIA[/name] - [name]Lilia[/name] is delicate and small, like a little ballerina. I see a gentle girl with brunette curls and playful green eyes, yet she could also be a fairer creature, with blond, straight hair and blue eyes. She is opinionated and strong, yet her appearance wouldn’t give knowledge of it. [name]Lilia[/name] accomplishes what she puts her mind to, and her wit and keen sense of humor make her a fun person to be around.

[name]JULIET[/name] - [name]Juliet[/name] is pretty and playful, yet I also envision her to be a bit of a stubborn, snobby princess. She is opinionated and clever - lovely habits, I must say - yet she can be vindictive when she doesn’t get her way. [name]Juliet[/name] is a popular girl with many friends - she enjoys being a leader and a trendsetter. She can be a bit mouthy and rude, yet when she is involved in something she loves, she can be really sweet. I would imagine these bad habits would characterize her youth, and she would be a charming, intelligent, playful woman. (I must say that I also see [name]Juliet[/name] as a quiet, reserved tomboy, with her brown hair thrown up in a pony tail and her blue eyes sparkling in the sun.)

[name]ELEANOR[/name] - [name]Eleanor[/name] is quiet and reserved, and her intelligence and eloquence are clear in her manner of conversation. She takes pride in all she does, as evidenced by her exceptional talent in the realms of academics, theater, the arts, or even sports (though I really see her more as a quiet academic or theater child). I’d imagine her to have brown hair and calm, brown eyes that look inquisitively at the world around her. She is a kind and gentle spirit. I envision [name]Eleanor[/name] as a middle child, somewhat forgotten in the mix of a brood of children, yet cherished for her kind spirit and raw talent.

[name]ROSE[/name] - [name]Rose[/name] is a sweet, pretty young thing, and I see her either with very dark brunette hair and lovely, chocolate eyes or red curls and sweet, cool eyes (either blue or green). She is opinionated and steadfast, yet she easily forgets a grudge and cherishes time spent with other people. A true social butterfly, [name]Rose[/name] is a pleasure to be around, and her silliness and quirky sense of humor delight her peers. Indeed, despite her spunky attitude, [name]Rose[/name] can be demure and elegant, something that I imagine her to embody more as she grows and develops into a young woman.

In summary, I imagine most of these girls with dark hair, especially [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Rose[/name]. [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Lilia[/name], but [name]Lilia[/name] especially, could be fairer in appearance, however. In terms of birth order, I would imagine [name]Juliet[/name] to be a spoiled older sister, demanding of being the center of attention, yet responsible when called upon. [name]Eleanor[/name] might be a quiet, restrained second child, responsible and helpful when [name]Juliet[/name] chooses otherwise. [name]Lilia[/name] or [name]Rose[/name], but especially [name]Lilia[/name], I see as younger sisters - playful yet delicate, spunky yet sassy, sweet yet opinionated.

[name]JAMES[/name] - I envision [name]James[/name] to be a tall man with darker hair and either blue or brown eyes. He is confident and strong, yet he prefers to be alone or independent in his efforts. [name]Ever[/name] the shy soul, [name]James[/name] does not particularly enjoy social gatherings with many a stranger, yet he opens up and can be quite witty and humorous within the confines of his family. He is determined and bright, as evidenced by his success in his career, which I see as something in business or law. [name]James[/name] is popular with the ladies due to his gentlemanly demeanor, yet his shyness must be overcome before he can meet the right woman.

[name]EDWARD[/name] - [name]Edward[/name] is confident and sturdy, and I envision him to be a talented athlete, something of a “jock.” [name]Edward[/name] - [name]Ed[/name], [name]Eddie[/name] - is humorous and goofy, and his self confidence and playful attitude make him a pleasure to be around. He isn’t necessarily the brightest in the bunch, but he certainly has some smarts when he applies himself. [name]Edward[/name] sometimes lacks direction, and he needs a push to go on the right path. I see [name]Edward[/name] as a blond, but he could also have medium brown hair and blue eyes.

[name]CHARLES[/name] - [name]Charles[/name] strikes me as a quiet, reserved boy, who might be a bit socially awkward. His fun spirit, however, shines through to those he knows best. His gentlemanly character gets him far, and his kind manners and pleasant spirit are enough to gain him friends, but his true feelings - as I see him being rather emotional - are often kept secret from his companions. [name]Charles[/name] is intelligent and studious, and I see him being quite successful in his future career, perhaps in the realm of medicine. I see either a red-head with sparkling green or blue eyes, or a boy with light brown tousled curls and brown eyes.

[name]WILLIAM[/name] - [name]William[/name] is playful and confident, and his is a very adventurous, brave spirit. He strikes me as a bit of a Boy [name]Scout[/name], inquisitive and alive in the world around him. I see [name]William[/name] with either brown hair and brown eyes, or blond curls and blue eyes. [name]William[/name] strikes me as a younger brother, kind and generous, and lovingly sweet to his family and peers. I see [name]William[/name] - [name]Will[/name], [name]Willy[/name], [name]Liam[/name] - running around his yard, his curls bouncing as he plays fetch with his puppy, whom he loves very much. A sweet, gentle spirit with a love of the outdoors, [name]William[/name] is an energetic, fun-loving boy who is a delight to all he knows.

In summary, I see [name]James[/name] as a responsible, amiable older child, who cares for his family and does as he is told. [name]Edward[/name], on the contrary, seems slightly less responsible and caring, and I might go so far as to call him the “black sheep” of the family - though this certainly isn’t my first thought. He is playful and wild, and he needs time to grow up, unlike his older brother. [name]Charles[/name] strikes me as a bit of a love-sick teenager, passionate and emotional, yet confident and fun. Finally, [name]William[/name] is a true younger brother, playful and energetic, and a true joy to his older brothers. All of your boy names call up images of rugged, handsome fellas with lighter features - namely in the range of medium brown ([name]James[/name]), light brown ([name]Edward[/name]), red ([name]Charles[/name]), and blonde ([name]William[/name]).

mummyto3:

[name]LUCAS[/name] - I envision [name]Lucas[/name] to be a bright, fair boy with a big smile on his face and bright, shining eyes. I see either a boy with blue eyes and blond, scruffy hair or a boy with brown hair and mysterious, brown eyes. He is confident and strong, a true leader and a friend to all. [name]Lucas[/name] is active and popular, and he excels in all he puts his mind to. He is determined and intelligent, but his charming demeanor and gentle habits endear him to many a friend.

Have fun with this, ladies!

That was wonderful. Thank you so much! You really got the personality and appearance of the girls exactly as I have the pictured. Except I could also see [name]Juliet[/name] as maybe a rather darker blonde… I also hadn’t had the thought of [name]Juliet[/name] being vindictive but yes, I rather think she is. I love [name]Eleanor[/name]'s theatrical aspect as well :slight_smile:
I see [name]James[/name] with brown eyes, though maybe a bit more reckless than you have pictured him. [name]Edward[/name] ([name]Eddie[/name]) looks spot-on, along with [name]Charles[/name]. But you really see [name]William[/name] as a blonde? Really? He’s always been the a mid-brown to me. I love his description though, wonderful.
That was a pleasure and thank you!!

[name]Glad[/name] you enjoyed them! Always a pleasure to do. Well, I said I could see [name]William[/name] with brown hair as well, but the picture of a little [name]Will[/name] with blond curls just gets me! :slight_smile:

Thank you [name]Lemon[/name]. I really enjoyed reading the [name]Lucas[/name] profile. It is v similar to my son. The only bit that isn’t him (apart from the blond hair option) is the leadership thing. At the moment, he is easy going and willing to fit in most of the time rather than lead. Otherwise, it’s spot on.
My sister [name]Alice[/name] is rather sensitive and kind hearted. She is rather girly, feminine and quite shy so not really the confident, sporty girl that you describe.

You know, I can see that for [name]Alice[/name], too, now that you mention it. As I said, my profiles certainly aren’t perfect! Thanks for the information!

Your profile are really interesting to read and thank you again!