Name Rants

i wish [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] [name_u]Ocean[/name_u] was usable i think it’s the cutest :frowning: but alas

5 Likes

also still disappointed, years later, that [name_f]Lunaria[/name_f] is pronounced loon-uh-ree-yuh and not like loon-aria … i still can’t get used to it!

11 Likes

What :flushed:

10 Likes

Uh oh…

loon-uh-ree-yuh sounds like some sort of disease

6 Likes

wait actually… :sob:

sounds like a galaxy themed loteria deck :sob::sob:

3 Likes

wait, what??? I’ve only ever heard it pronounced loon-aria??? I can’t find anything online with the other pronunciation, are you sure?:sob:

5 Likes

Pretty weird as a pastor’s kid to read a thread talking about how a name is “too PK”. Especially because my dad (the pastor) wanted to give us non-Biblical names like Justin & Katelyn. Ultimately he let my mom choose, and so my siblings & I all have Biblical names because that’s what she wanted. Even then, our names are all mainstream Biblical names that do not stand out as particularly religious.

Thinking back to other pastor’s kids I knew growing up, I’d say about 60% had non-Biblical names and 40% had mainstream Biblical names. This wasn’t drastically different than what you could expect from any group of kids that was part of my church body.

Related non-name rant, potentially triggering:

Summary

It’s so weird to me how there’s such a distinct cultural perception of what a “pastor’s kid” is like, when we don’t have those same cultural perceptions for an accountant’s kid or pharmacist’s kid or electrician’s kid. A pastor’s kid is simply a kid whose parent happens to have a certain job. It’s not fair to the kid to hold them to some higher standard or expect them to be a certain way because of their parents job.
The perceptions don’t stop when you’re an adult either. Literally I had a college boyfriend try to pressure me into sex by telling me that the only reason I didn’t want to was because I’d been brainwashed by my dad. I dumped him the next day. The whole “pastor’s kid” didn’t bother me too much before that incident, but that made me realize how much people assume that pastor’s kids are just raised to be one certain way & not able to think for themselves.
That’s why even reading a name being “too PK” bugs me - it’s perpetuating the idea that PK’s are somehow different because of their parent’s job. I doubt that it would’ve been that unusual for another child in the congregation to be name Jeremiah. So you can just say “too religious” or “too churchy” and leave it at that.

14 Likes
Super off-topic but..

:partying_face:
Sorry, I’m unreasonably happy about this because I lacked the self esteem to do the same for too long.

9 Likes

Being obsessed with baby names for fun = :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Faced with the task of naming a real human = :tired_face:

20 Likes

Spending ages making up your own perfect combos = :heart_eyes:
Remembering you actually have to take another person’s likes and dislikes into account IRL = :tired_face:

18 Likes

Why does batty have to be a synonym for crazy :sob: I’ve always loved the name [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and realistically I’d probably use Lizzy/Lizzie or [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] as a nickname. But I also love the nickname Batty like from The Penderwicks, but I’m hesitant to use it even as an at-home nickname because of the meaning. But it’s so cute and spirited and I love the connection to the books.

11 Likes

Ok but if Elizabeth ended up being super hyper and lively kid Batty would be super cute as a nn for her

I also really like Batty as a nn for Barbara, reminds me of Batman :bat:

8 Likes

[name_f]Do[/name_f] it! It’s fun as a pet name. I love this kind of style: think [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] (Sassy), [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] (Prim), [name_f]Zipporah[/name_f] (Zippy), [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f] (Tatty), [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (Busy), etc.

6 Likes

[name_m]Can[/name_m] we use these as quotes for our Instagram?

2 Likes

I knew a [name_f]Cécile[/name_f] “Silly” :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

@sophiekihm You’re very welcome to! :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, go for it! :blush:

1 Like

@leafygreens and @katinka I’m glad you both think it’s a cute nickname, that’s reassuring! And [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] ‘Batty’ is wonderful, as are the other nickname pairs. I especially like [name_f]Zipporah[/name_f] ‘Zippy’ and [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] ‘Sassy’!

1 Like

Thank you!