Name Rants

Thank you, I’m so excited to meet her :smiling_face: [name_f]My[/name_f] sister likes [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], my Bro-in-law likes [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (but with current affairs, they may be rethinking?), and my 3yo nephew really likes [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. So those are my guesses! Possibly with [name_u]Yukiko[/name_u] as a middle!

3 Likes

no because i was thinking it’s pronounced ee-lois (lois rhyming with noise but with a soft s not the gard z sound) :sob:

1 Like

i mean the soft s like rose not ross!

i used to think the exact same thing! must have heard it from somewhere but always though it was ee-LOYS and never liked the name, then i watched bridgerton which said eh-loh-eese and was like wait what

2 Likes

It’s Amelia, I can rest now :relieved:

21 Likes

This is, of course, just my opinion, but I actually love the alliteration/repetition/sound of [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] Harrington!! I think she sounds like a cool book/movie protagonist or comic book character (in the best way!) I honestly don’t think there are a huge amount of similar sounds, especially when you use [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] or [name_f]Etta[/name_f] - I genuinely wouldn’t even think twice about them sounding “too repetitive/similar” if you didn’t point it out. I think it’s just darling! :heartbeat:

4 Likes

For me every name has a ‘texture’ and in order for the names to flow they need to mesh texture wise as well. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband does not have this problem so trying to create combos with him or trying to explain why I don’t like a name is really difficult.

7 Likes

I totally agree with the texture thing! Some names feels very fluid & others feel sturdy. It mostly has to do with the consonant sounds to me. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite combos are one fluid name paired with one sturdy name i.e. [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f], [name_f]Laura[/name_f] [name_f]Katharina[/name_f], etc.

2 Likes

Does anyone else have those names where the vibe/aesthetic of it slowly starts changing for whatever reason and then you’re mad because you liked the vibe from before and not the new one? Yea that’s me rn

the name’s [name_f]Iris[/name_f]

14 Likes

Yeah, that happened to me with Kathleen… you know the [name_u]Magic[/name_u] Tree House character? she was like a mysterious, mystical magician girl and I got that vibe from the name for the longest time, then I met a mildly irritating, extremely not magical, average girl named [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] and I can’t get the mystical [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] vibes back :pensive:

6 Likes

Yep mine is similar, some consonant sounds are hard like wood, others are like bubbles, plus a few othera. so I like names that balance those out, like [name_u]Winslow[/name_u] that has a hard beginning and soft rounded bubbly end.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] preferred nickname for her is actually [name_f]Hettie[/name_f] :heart:.

1 Like

I’m feeling a little ranty over the fact that I have twice now given a name I’d love to use for a baby to our new pet only to discover how very little I like using the name IRL. I guess it is better to realize it now than after using for my child but still. Gah.

14 Likes

I think that Bellissima would make a beautiful middle name, but the spelling just looks so busy to me. I like how Belicima looks, but that’s not a word/name :sob:

7 Likes

If I see one more “uncommon names” graphic on Pinterest like this I’m going to lose it lol.

It takes at most 5 seconds to look up if the names you want to include are actually popular. Most governments have the data , freely available on their website and many actually have a list of uncommon names and their usage that is easy to download or access. I know it’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but 1. if you enjoy names and are collecting for new ones it’s annoying to go looking for names and see graphic after graphic claiming Lucy is an uncommon name and 2. This misinformation could lead to expectant parents having name regret either because they didn’t pick the name Coral thinking it was on the same popularity wavelength as Penelope or being surprised when they have to label everything Charlotte S. So basically everyone loses.

On the flip side of this I’m sick of journalists (particularly the American ones sorry but it’s true) writing articles about this year’s top names using the Nameberry top list and then going on about how popular Aurelia is when it’s not even in the top 500 in the US and is only in the top 100 in Germany , Switzerland and Poland. Nameberry has never made it a secret that their popularity list is based off searches and hearts from users all over the map and it would take one tiny extra step to figure this out.

It’s annoying when people don’t fact check anyway but it’s 100x more annoying here knowing they could literally fix it in the time it takes to boil a jug.

30 Likes

Yes

Though I’ll give this one some credit for the fact that a good chunk of them are very uncommon. But yes absolutely agree

4 Likes

I love the name Margo/Margot when it is said aloud; I don’t like the name when written down. [name_f]Margo[/name_f] reminds me of mango and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] reminds me of maggot. If I never had to write the name down I would love to name a future daughter [name_f]Margo[/name_f].

2 Likes

[name_f]Margaux[/name_f] :eyes:

2 Likes

Still not my style, but I like it better!

1 Like

My heart pronouncing this name: Margo :heart_eyes::two_hearts::crown:
My brain: … Marg Ox

this is all I can think about 😫

26 Likes