Name Rants

Exactly!!

1 Like

I just can’t love girls’ names :sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

I want to love [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] so much. One of my favourite characters growing up was named [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] and she was an inspiration to me. Why did I have to have such a bad [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] in my real life that comes to mind whenever I look at the name?

2 Likes

i’ve a complaint similar to the one above - why can i not like roberta? an obvious honor for my grandfather, plus connections to the ramona books, lynda barry’s cruddy, joni mitchell…i’d better manage to talk myself into it eventually ^^

3 Likes

I hate it. I had adopted an amazing combo over on the Adopt a Combo thread. Unfortunately I realised today that together it seems like I’m trying to honour both my parents with one name combo, [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u]. Why can’t I get past the association? I had to put it up for adoption because I will not be able to get past it.

On the other hand, I don’t mind using the names (or variations there of) in separate combos. I never notice the associations when they aren’t together. Ahhhhh…

Why is my taste in girls names so different from my taste in boys names?

Aristodemos on a boy? Perfectly usable, not even a little bit out there. [name_f]Olympia[/name_f] on a girl? Hmm, maybe a bit much? :roll_eyes:

16 Likes

It’s the opposite for me :joy:.

4 Likes

I have that problem with old names

For example:

[name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Irene[/name_f]: lovely
[name_m]Wilbur[/name_m], [name_m]Harold[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m]: clunkiest names ever

7 Likes

Why do I have 3 girls’ first names I love equally (with a 4th coming up quickly), but only 2 boys’ first names I love equally? I keep a 3rd as a possibility as an honor name, but I’d rather use it or a variation of it as a middle name, boy or girl, instead. I want to love a 3rd boy’s first name as much as I love the first 2, but so far I can’t seem to do so.

2 Likes

Please don’t create long polls they stress me out :sob:

16 Likes

seconded
esp with double middle combos. That’s just too much input at once, I can’t handle that.

10 Likes

These are literally two of my favorite boy names.

I honestly wish Vivian weren’t so popular because I think it would be easier for people to read it as neutral if the trendiness weren’t slanted so heavily in the girl/afab camp.

I keep hoping it will maybe start to decline in the charts so that crossing the aisle back into masculine use would come with less pushback.
I’ve been trying to warm up to Viviano but I really do like Vivian more- and I’ve seen some go with the Vyvyan spelling for boys and while it’s a valid spelling I can’t help but think it looks like the “replacing vowels with Y to be unique” trend that I can’t stand. I still have it on the table as a middle name though.

And then while I love Bellamy and think it’s more readily read as neutral, I think it’s too similar to my own name, Brittany, and I can’t get past that. :sob:

4 Likes

Okay but I’m with you on [name_m]Harold[/name_m] and [name_m]Otis[/name_m] though (but I love Wilbur)

Also for context, how long constitutes a long poll?

1 Like

Hmm in that post I was referring to choose-your-favourite polls with 20 options which is the max. But it would depend on the poll I guess

5 Likes

i pretty much automatically skip super long polls 🥲

16 Likes

re: super long polls

they are a bit stressful but I will say that I will go through a long poll of a user who I know uses very fun and uncommon names that you don’t see often on nb, but if I don’t know the user or the names are the same old names I see all the time, I’ll skip it.

I try to keep my polls short but… sometimes I fail miserably…

7 Likes

I know I’ve said this before, but [name_u]Sorrel[/name_u] (g) is impossible to pair. And the perfect [name_u]Evangel[/name_u] combo simply does not exist.

2 Likes

[name_u]Or[/name_u] in my case, don’t load at all

1 Like

Right now the whole site is glitchy, none works for me either :persevere:

4 Likes

This is more a self-rant than a name-sighting, but I was reading through some comments on IG, in which people were poking fun at a video with a little boy named Adonis. Saying “They’re probably Drake fans”, or “I wouldn’t come out either, if I had that name”. :roll_eyes:

Adonis is on my own middle-name list and I’m not even a Drake fan. I didn’t even remember that’s what he named his son :upside_down_face:. I don’t think I’d realistically use this name… but it’s still annoying to see others stereotype families for liking certain names.

This was just a reminder to myself that at the end of the day, we can name our children whatever we want, but research is important!

6 Likes