Name Rants

ughhh but this is such a cute combo :sob:

1 Like

what about using [name_f]Irena[/name_f] as a compromise?

1 Like

I’m sure most people on this site will agree with me, but I’m sure there are people who will not. Names don’t have a gender. Names like Rory, Sawyer, Parker, Harper, Elliot, etc. are common and work for a boy or a girl! Of course some people may prefer Saywer on a boy or Elliot on a girl. But, I’ve seen people who say: RORY IS ONLY A BOY’S NAME, YOU WILL CURSE YOUR DAUGHTER IF YOU GIVE HER THAT NAME! (Don’t worry, I haven’t seen anyone like that on NB). Sure, maybe you prefer Rory on a boy, but does it really affect you if some random girl halfway across the world has the same name as your son?

6 Likes

But just from looking at your examples it’s clear that gender norms are still just evolving in one direction, masculinity for girls being acceptable while femininity for boys is still seen negatively; I can’t fault parents for wanting to keep at least a few of the softer masculine names predominantly for boys.

7 Likes

It also depends on where the people are from that are saying something about a name being one gender or the other. While it may be a unisex name where you are, it may be considered one or the other where someone else resides. With that being said, people are often speaking based on what they know. Also, if a name is used for one gender only in its country of origin, whether or not you see it that way, the people from that country may have something to say to give you their perspective.

6 Likes

This one genuinely annoys me for some reason, [name_f]Chastity[/name_f] isn’t a puritan name it doesn’t show up in the top 1000 until 1972 and there are no Chastitys registered in Massachusetts Town [name_m]Vital[/name_m] Records where most American Puritans lived.

There are Obediences I can’t contest that.

8 Likes

That love-hate feeling when you love a name but really dislike it’s package-deal nickname

Ex) [name_f]Edith[/name_f] (:heart_eyes:) nn [name_f]Edie[/name_f] (:unamused:)
there’s just no escaping certain nicknames

7 Likes

Me with Eduna :sob: love Eduna, don’t like [name_f]Edie[/name_f] a single bit

3 Likes

@rhodes2nowhere @leafygreens Out of curiosity, how are you guys pronouncing [name_f]Edie[/name_f]? The traditional pronunciation as far as I’m aware is EE-dee, but I know some people pronounce it like [name_u]Eddie[/name_u], ED-ee.

2 Likes

EE-dee, but I don’t like either pronunciation :woozy_face:

2 Likes

ee-dee for me as well, though I don’t mind Ed-ee

1 Like

EE-dee. [name_u]Eddie[/name_u] is ED-dee.

1 Like

!! aaa the conflict between elektra and ellie though

the elektra i know doesn’t go by a nickname though so ?! hope

3 Likes

ugh im so jealous of people with cute short name lists since my current name list are over 300+ names for girls and 250+ for boys :weary::weary:

3 Likes

Not exactly a rant, but I’ve been looking at the names I had on my shortlist before I was pregnant with Barnabas and at the start of my pregnancy, which means before I really talked to my SO about names, and how on earth did my taste change this much? :exploding_head: It’s like it was made by another person.

I still love my Icelandic names, but apart from that… Wow.

7 Likes

why do I actually love that ?? saddy sounds great ??

1 Like

The loving a full name but really disliking its nickname is me with [name_f]Josephine[/name_f].
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]? [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]. Fabulous. [name_u]Josie[/name_u]? I find the sound very unappealing, and my biggest association is someone’s Rottweiler. :rofl:

2 Likes

When you love a name enough to use it as a first name, but it just sounds so much better in the middle spot no matter what combo you put it in :grinning::triumph:

Annoying.

10 Likes