Name Rants

They have the exact same name. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad is a [name_m]Jr[/name_m].

1 Like

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] gotcha, that’s too bad

1 Like

you could always use something else to honor him! like his birthstone, birth month, star sign, any hobbies he has, etc

3 Likes

Oh yeah. He’s really into photography. Hmmm

Maybe you could also ask him about his favourite names (maybe there were some he never got to use), people that he looks up to,…
especially if you want him to know you’d like to honour him it could be fun looking for a name together.

5 Likes

I used to work at an elementary school, and there was a kindergartner whose last name was Luna-Hernandez (second part is changed for privacy). She told me that she had a baby sister named [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. I have always wondered…was her sister really [name_f]Luna[/name_f] Luna-Hernandez???

2 Likes

On a rational basis I know [name_f]Bridie[/name_f] is a diminutive of [name_f]Bridget[/name_f] but every time I see it I think “woman who is getting married”-ie

16 Likes

Naming is so haaaaaaarrd.

1 Like

I misspelled [name_f]France[/name_f] as [name_f]Frances[/name_f]

15 Likes

American TV shows rarely choose a normal Russian name for the Russian character, it is either a patronymic for the surname, a surname for the first name, or a famous name (choosing a name to use undercover in [name_f]Russia[/name_f] and it’s [name_m]Alexei[/name_m] Vronsky??)

14 Likes

francisco “franco” would be so cute if not for. yknow. francisco franco.

11 Likes

[name_f]Victoria[/name_f] is so frustrating to me because I feel like I should like it, it goes great with some of my other names (Victoria and Winifred?!) but at the same time I just don’t like it! Something about it is just slightly off to me and I don’t know what

9 Likes

This is going to be a probably irrational rant that I nonetheless need to get off my chest because I’m feeling bitchy

It really bugs me when I mention liking a name, or mention that I’ve been thinking about a name that I’ve never, or rarely, seen on the forums, and no one has anything to say about it, and then within about a week I see that name popping up on the forums, and because it’s being talked about by someone who I guess is more popular/better known or whatever, than me, they get all sorts of praise for it and other users just fawn over them for it. And it’s not just me, I’ve seen it happen to other people too. It very much feels like there is a popular kids group here, and most of us aren’t in it.
Like, when I am reminded how much I like a certain name or introduced to a new name by someone on here, I reply to them and I tell them that I had never thought of that name before and I really like it, or that they reminded me how much I like the name, I don’t just quietly add it to my list and then turn around and act like it “just came to me”. I am 100% certain that there have been times that I have forgotten to do this, but I do my best to remember.
It’s basically like someone hearing you tell a joke, and then repeating that joke louder than you did and getting a big laugh from whoever is listening.
Obviously, people can do what they want, and there are much bigger problems out there, but this has happened several times now, and I’m not a fan.
End rant.

29 Likes

[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] is so cool and elegant but I grew up watching reruns of The Office and I just cannot separate the name from the jokes they make on the show :sob: It’s maybe a two episode storyline at most but that connection will never leave my head.

11 Likes

I think the name [name_u]Dove[/name_u] has become a filler mn, at least for me. Because I’ve been using it in so many of combos bc I paired it with [name_f]Gloria[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Marnie[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], and many more. And I’m afraid I’m going lose interest in it soon :sob:

13 Likes

same :sob:

i feel that hannah is much more common and yet, they misspell my name on my school ID every year!

4 Likes

i think it could work!!

i know an anna grace, and i think her name is darling :tulip:

6 Likes

i’m worried about how so many one syllable middle names are becoming fillers :sob: when they work so beautifully with any first name

4 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] names [name_f]Brighid[/name_f] and I grew up in the US, I was never called [name_f]Bridie[/name_f] growing up since it’s not a popular nickname. Then I moved to [name_u]Ireland[/name_u] where it’s much more common a nickname for [name_f]Brighid[/name_f] (and all her spelling) so I have had to deal with my American family being confused as to why my Irish husband is calling me “woman who is getting married”-ie.

6 Likes

every time i am brainstorming evetta combos i go “evetta summer! a life in the summer! so pretty” and then i remember summer’s eve…

7 Likes