Name Rants

I’m sorry for expressing my opinion too! Didn’t think kindly expressing my thoughts on a relevant subject would offend somebody!

4 Likes

This is completely my own fault, but when I create characters for whatever story is in my head, I purposefully don’t give them names I like, so as not to ‘lock’ a favorite name onto a certain vibe or personality. But then, after a while, I start really liking that name! But by then, it’s already a specific character to me. It’s happened with [name_m]Grant[/name_m], [name_u]Merritt[/name_u], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m], [name_f]Viveca[/name_f], [name_f]Annette[/name_f], [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], the list goes on :woman_facepalming:

Since the setting is fantasy a lot of the time, I just started making up names just to prevent it :woman_facepalming:

10 Likes

:pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face::sob::sob::sob::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@lumosmaxima ^^^^^^^

literally find myself falling in love with every name you post ??? i don’t like the name isabel or the name lucia/lucietta and i somehow ?? kept thinking about isabellucietta azuri, isabellucietta enora, isabellucietta vera ?

when i see your posts on the quick poll thread it’s like opening a christmas present or something i swear :sweat_smile: i get so excited and whenever i feel like im in a slump i’ll look through the longlist that you sent to me (very kindly and i love it so much !! i printed it out & it’s written on all over with combo ideas & meanings ive found for some & pronounciations, etc) like ?? i want you to name an entire classroom full of children for me :heart: :two_hearts: :pleading_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Why does [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] work so well as a middle name :sob::sob: I just want it as a first name but I can’t seem to find the perfect combo!

8 Likes

i have this problem :sob::joy: something frilly and soft would be gorgeous though - like elisaveta sloane :cherry_blossom:
(oops i realise u meant first, i am very tired :sob:)

1 Like

@josieaitken @aiksx [name_u]Sloane[/name_u] [name_f]Elisaveta[/name_f] works and is beautiful!

1 Like

Rubella has such a terrible association I think most people couldn’t get past :upside_down_face: The sounds are pretty though!

1 Like

I know, that’s why I said “could” :sweat_smile: Such a pretty name for a horrible thing!

1 Like

Haha I’m sure there are many like that - Previa, Alopecia, [name_f]Candida[/name_f], etc. All great sounds, all unusable! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i will honestly cry?? i am crying?? is this christmas coming early?? :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

1 Like

My friend just told me she thinks Kestrel has Karen energy…🥲💀 welp

7 Likes

if it means anything, i don’t get karen vibes at all from kestrel.

4 Likes

I made a combo with a name I can’t use (an aunt’s name) so that I could get it out of my system and move on but now I just love it more:(

11 Likes

i came up with a combo that flows really nicely, but i’d prefer the mn in the first spot </3

13 Likes

SAME

i feel like almost everyone is the other way around but i have soo many boys names i love and so few girl names :sob:

I’m more into names that evoke beauty (to me) than quirky ones, which may reflect badly on me :confused:

2 Likes

The holiday season is quickly reminding me of all of the reasons I shouldn’t use certain names. I’ve tried hard to justify some of them but noooo…

1 Like

Disclaimer: I’m not trying to call anyone specifically out, I’m extremely sorry if this offends you in any way. It’s just my opinion. You don’t have to agree with me. In fact, I would love to hear other peoples’ thoughts on this topic. Have a nice day! :slightly_smiling_face:

It kind of annoys me when I see people who need have validation that every single one of their combos is completely original. If someone else came up with a combo before you, it doesn’t really matter (as long as you are not intentionally copying them). It’s not as if there aren’t hundreds of [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] Rose’s or [name_u]Liam[/name_u] Michael’s. A name is a name, and it’s not always going to be original 100% of the time. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you do both end up using that name in real life, the chances that those kids are going to ever meet, or even know that the other exists, are next to none. On a site like Nameberry, where we all have a fairly similar taste in names, the chances that two or more people think of the same combo on their own accord are fairly high. If you come up with a combo, and then notice that it’s in my UC, just use it! I (personally) wouldn’t really care. Actually, I’d probably be happy that someone else likes a name as much as I do. I don’t really think most people would care either. But like I said, that’s just my opinion.

27 Likes

I feel much the same way! I’ve seen a few names on here that I already have in my combo list (not necessarily in my UC) and it makes me happy! It’s like validation that it’s a good combo :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: But then I’m kind of afraid to rotate it through my UC…

2 Likes