Name Rants

perhaps i’m just unobservant :sweat_smile: but i haven’t seen any of these behaviors !! at least not on the threads i frequent, like the quick poll thread, notd tread, cafs, etc !

12 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen it a few times but I don’t think it’s too common!! Mostly everyone is super nice just those few times made me like :flushed: :grimacing:

[name_f]My[/name_f] cousin’s 2 yo son is named [name_u]Whit[/name_u] & it suits him really well. It’s actually a nickname for an entirely unrelated name, but he goes exclusively by [name_u]Whit[/name_u].

They’re baseball fans, and [name_u]Whit[/name_u] Merrifeld scored a home run for the Royals the day they found out they were expecting. They starting calling the baby [name_u]Whit[/name_u] & it stuck even though they gave him a different family name.

7 Likes

That’s such a cute story! I do love [name_u]Whit[/name_u] by itself, which is what I added to my list, but as a nickname for [name_u]Whitney[/name_u] is even better.

1 Like

Rubella nn [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] could be an awesome name

6 Likes

When there’s some names you absolutely adore but they’re already super popular :pensive:

7 Likes

why do i hate girl names and love boy names what is up with that

7 Likes

I love [name_f]Maud[/name_f], but making a combo with it as a first name is so hard for me! It goes too well in the middle spot :pensive:

7 Likes

I’ve always loved [name_f]Maud[/name_f] with longer frilly names as she can carry them so well being so sensible, warm and to-the-point. Combos like [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Viviana[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Florentina[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f], [name_f]Maud[/name_f] Petronilla,…
basically anything 4+ syllables ending in -a.

3 Likes

Wow, those are gorgeous!

1 Like

I wish! I have honestly one paltry boy name I like and then a long list of girls’ names!! After peering at your UC, though, can I just say that [name_m]Galileo[/name_m] is honestly perfect!! I’m starting to understand the passion :crystal_ball:

2 Likes

Steal any of them if you’d like :blossom:

1 Like

i think i see what you’re saying, but also i think it’s just a fact of Life on Nameberry that nb favorites are going to get suggested to you when you make a post, because even if you’ve outright dismissed the name before not everyone will have seen/remembered that specific name wasn’t your style ! :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I get what you mean but how would anyone know what names YOU dislike? Unless they see your posts often enough to remember your specific preferences. I don’t know what anyone on this site likes so I just suggest names I think sound good together

I think it’s just like [name_u]Wren[/name_u] used to be. Doesn’t matter if someone asked for names for [name_f]Aurembiaix[/name_f], [name_u]Wren[/name_u] always made it into the list of suggestions. I assume people just like it, and want others to like it, too!

2 Likes

i have come to terms with the fact that my taste in names is ugly — it’s very freeing. for the last few months i have been a little eeeeee on nb — i think i was super used to having names and posts that were well-loved and the names that i loved and posted about started to pop up on nb all over the place and really self-absorbedly i was like :relieved: i am a trendsetter :relieved: and when that started to dry up a little i was like — you either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain i guess :smiling_imp: but where is my silly little validation :cry:

my taste in names is mine!! even if it’s bad!!! i love ugly names!! they are so fun and interesting to me!! i love the indelicate names and heavy names and big, grand staircase names!! i love terrible, WASPy nicknames and the pet names you’d call a neighborhood baseball team in 1969! i love the names that rightfully went out of style!! i love names that are hard to say and harder to spell!! i love names with 6 syllables and big smoosh names and names with no good nicknames!! i love them!!

29 Likes
validation incoming! not that you need it BUT

what are you talking about have you lost your mind!! your names are my favourites on nameberry and they are mismatched and multicultural and every one of them is sunny and cozy and blue skies forever. my middle name doesn’t match my first name and is long and clunky and outdated and hard to pronounce but my parents liked it so it is mine! chippy! the hawaiian names which have the prettiest meanings! all the nicknames! the italian smoosh names! NINELLINA!! some are not my personal style but they are still lovely. isabellucietta is probably not going to catch on but neither is bill despite my best efforts, so if that is your daughter and my son they will have those names because we liked them and that was what mattered!!

15 Likes

Well, not everyone reads every single post in every single topic

6 Likes

[name_m]Ah[/name_m], I’m sorry for expressing my opinion on something. I will not do that again.

I’m sorry for expressing my opinion too! Didn’t think kindly expressing my thoughts on a relevant subject would offend somebody!

4 Likes