Name regret.

My daughter is 6 mo old now, her name is [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]. Given her age Im not going to change it, she responds to it now. However I had the hardest time choosing a name for her… And now it just doesn’t feel right to me. I’m trying to look past these feelings but I’m scared its a name that will never sound mature and is too quirky. I know at one point I loved this name and was excited and I don’t know what changed but I just want to feel comfortable with it.

I know a beautiful sweet little [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], so it evokes happy things for me. It is a quirky name, but I can easily see it on an adult. Can you use her middle name? Does it suit her better?

I love the name [name_f]Zoe[/name_f].

It feels fresh and modern but still sweet… that’s hard to find in a name!

It’s also a nice break from all the clunky names that I see people discussing on here ([name_f]Edith[/name_f] or [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] anyone?). I also like that it’s feminine with out being super frilly or cutesy.

I think your [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] will always love her name…
It’s a sweet little name for a little girl, as a teen she’ll probably think it’s cool that it has a Z (a bit edgy), as a young woman she might appreciate that it’s clean and modern (especially when her counterparts are all being named serious, clunky names) and when she is older I bet she’ll be happy to have a lively name :slight_smile:

All in all I think some of the things you are worried about the name, actually make it great.

I like [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] a lot. It’s so spunky, quirky and fun. Does your daughter like her name? If so, I think it is all that matters. Or you can call her by her middle name.

I love [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], I just know too many to actually use it! [name_u]Ever[/name_u] since I chose DS’ name I have never wanted to change it, it totally suits him. However, I am glad he was a boy and I didn’t have to choose between my girl names. The ones I liked 2.5 years ago are nothing compared to the ones I’ve fallen in love with since then!

I think you’ll get used to it. It’s a beautiful name and once you start associatiating your little girl with the it you’ll get in terms with it and will love it again. Or you can come up with a nickname and call her by that.

Hmm…

I do believe in baby name regret but I’m very surprised you feel this way over your choice of [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]. Yes [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] has a quirky feel but she isn’t unusual it’s not like her name is [name_f]Phaedra[/name_f] and there a plenty of [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]'s around of all ages which in my eyes means that she defiantly works for an adult. So don’t panic her name is lovely.

I love [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and its meaning. If you don’t like it, though, you could call her by her middle name, or a nickname. I know a [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] who goes by Zoh and Z.

Maybe because the two Zoes that I know are adults, I can defiantly see this as a perfectly usable name as an adult. If you feel unsure about the maturity of the name, take a look at the actresses [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] Saldana and [name_u]Zooey[/name_u] Deschanel. They are both adults who go by [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]. I feel that you may just be over-thinking the name, just take a few breathes, relax, and watch your sweet daughter respond to the name [name_f]Zoe[/name_f].

I lovelovelove [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]! If I would have seen this in the birth announcement forum, I would have said brilliant job, mama! :slight_smile: I love that it means “life” in Greek (at least, ancient Greek, it does; it’s a literal translation. The sound of [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] in ancient Greek is the same sound we use for the name, and it’s basically just transcribing the letters. That always appealed to me in the name when I was learning Koine (Ancient) Greek in college), and how zippy and spunky it is (but not TOO zippy and spunky, imo, anyway!). I’ve actually met more ladies around my mom’s age named [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] than little girls with the name, so I have no problem seeing it age well. I think it wears well on anything from a itty little baby all the way up to a grandma. I just think it’s great. I’ve been thinking about adding it to my own list. If you’re really worried about it, you could maybe call her by her middle name, instead, but I’m all for there being another [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] in the world; I think it’s a beautiful, timeless, ancient-but-modern-and-spunky (which is an unusual combo!) gem.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it suits her? If so, I wouldn’t worry about a thing. I think there are a lot of other names out there that are much cutesier ([name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], etc.)–at least, imo. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Hello and congratulations, @blue_bird!

My favorite baby-naming advice is by Suelain Moy, a baby names book author:

“Close your eyes and think about it. Which name do you really, really love the most? Go with the one that makes you smile every time you say it.”

What was the name you loved the most when you and Zoe’s dad were choosing her name?