Name regret

Hello

I really need some advice. [name_f]My[/name_f] baby boy is two months old, called [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], although lots of people call him [name_m]Josh[/name_m]. I love Joshie and [name_m]Joshua[/name_m], but I’ve developed quite an aversion to [name_m]Josh[/name_m], seemingly quite out of the blue and I really don’t know why. Maybe I feel it’s a teenagers name? Too traditional? Don’t know! But I tense up when anyone called him that. And I can’t spend my whole life telling people it’s [name_m]Joshua[/name_m]! It’s actually making me incredibly depressed, the idea that I could obsess about my son’s name forever. But I’m worried if I change it IL worry about the other one. I did really like this name previously. Any advice?

Thank you

1 Like

While he’s little you can insist on Joshua but when he gets older it will be his decision. I would just keep calling him Joshua and not worry too much about these other people who aren’t listening (those jerks!)

Of course you could change his name if you feel Joshua isn’t right.

Some people like to call my Isabelle Izzie and I just ignore them. But I don’t hate Izzie I just feel like Isabelle suits her way better!

Also, 2 months is a tough time to deal with other people not listening to you! You may feel better after a little more time?

2 Likes

I agree with hellobanjo! [name_f]Remember[/name_f], you don’t have to correct everyone. Maybe just start with the people who interact with him the most! If it is an acquaintance, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Megan[/name_f], and I will occasionally get [name_f]Meg[/name_f]. I don’t think [name_f]Meg[/name_f] suits me at all, but I usually let it slide unless a close friend is trying to get away with it!

1 Like

Sending you a direct private message with my thoughts

Unless there is another name you had in mind I would just keep calling him [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] and hope that most people catch on. I don’t know very many Joshua’s that aren’t called [name_m]Josh[/name_m] at some point in their life though tbh.
I was really stressing about my daughter’s name in the first few months too and I do think a lot of the overthinking and second guessing is hormone related.

2 Likes

I have two trains of thought.

First, I can somewhat relate to your situation but instead of it being a nn issue, it’s the first name issue. We named my daughter after my paternal grandmother, an uncommon variation of the name [name_f]Helen[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband has always adored the name but for me it was more an honour as they happen to share a birthday. That said, I don’t always feel in love with the name largely because most people mispronounce it, including my own dad. It drives me bananas and my daughter is almost six months old! I have insisted she be called a specific nn, a super short and easy to pronounce nn and we always call her that even to people who insist they use her full name. When my daughter is older, she can decide but for now, as parents, we get to choose the nn.

That being said, I also know what it’s like having a 2 month old and certainly things that wouldn’t normally bother me, definitely did. Before doing something like changing his name, perhaps wait a bit and see if the dislike of the unwanted nn fades or if redirecting people to the parent-approved nn sticks. It will take time for people to learn it and adjust, and some never will, but before you change the full name you love and go through that massive headache of paperwork, I would be super certain.

1 Like

I know a young [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] who only goes by [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] and Joshie (never Josh!) and yes, it took some time, but it doesn’t occur regularly anymore as far as I know and his name suits him really well. I, as a [name_f]Giada[/name_f] (jah-duh) regularly get jee-ah-dah as the pronunciation. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom knew that, of course, but she didn’t change my name. And I’m glad, because it suits me very, very well! Stick to the name you love, and anyone who calls him [name_m]Josh[/name_m] and refuses to change their mindset mustn’t be that important to you :heart: Best of luck!

1 Like

I do think a quick ‘it’s [name_m]Joshua[/name_m] or Joshie’ would help correct most people in your life for now. But, I’d say, give it time. Let it settle. [name_f]My[/name_f] aunt HATED Luce/Loos for [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] but has got used to it now