Name rules and flow

I’m still in the process of TTC :slight_smile:
But like all name lovers I’m creating my name lists.
In my mind, since the surname will begin with an A, then the first name shouldn’t end with an A since they will flow together. Last name sounds is 3 syllables starts with Ar…
Anything like [name]Claudia[/name], [name]Cara[/name], [name]Sarah[/name]… [name]Will[/name] just flow badly.
Am I right?

I would tend to agree…I think that a name ending in A would flow directly into your surname.

I would also avoid names that share the -ar sound ([name]Claire[/name], for instance0; they would be a bit too rhymey with you last name.

Thanks. It limits a lot of girl names since so many of my favorites end with A. :slight_smile:

I usually agree with this rule, but I think A sounds are more forgivable than S sounds, for example. I wouldn’t do [name]Alice[/name] [name]Smith[/name], but something like [name]Clara[/name] [name]Anderson[/name] is okay, especially since A can change its sound. [name]Claudia[/name] doesn’t end in a short A like in “cat,” but your last name might; the two separate sounds break it up a bit.

I would run any favorite combinations in a poll and see what people say. You might be surprised!

I think it depends.

[name]Clara[/name] Arasol sounds terrible
[name]Priscilla[/name] Arrogant sounds okay
[name]Geneva[/name] [name]Arlington[/name] sounds amazing!

I agree with r_j that a lot depends on whether your last name begins with a long or short/soft or hard A sound.

I might agree with your rule in more situations if your ln was something like Adescue (uh-des-Q). Because that uhh sound is how most ending -a names sound. Dorah Adescue…not so much
But since you said it’s Ar-- I’d imagine it’s more likely it’s pronounced as AIR or ARR. In that case I’d be more worried about R ending names. Oscar Archane is a bit much.

Honestly, I think it depends. I’d advise you go on a case-by-case basis. I don’t see the point in disregarding [name]EVERY[/name] name that ends in A because 1) not all of them will sound bad with your surname, and 2) you may miss out on something you really love.
I don’t feel like any ‘rules’ are worth missing out on a name you truly love. It drives me bonkers to see people complain about not being able to find a name they love and then “but we have 25 rules to follow”, well no kidding you can’t find anything :wink:
I think if you love a name, and the flow is not 100% perfect, you should use it anyway.
@kala_way’s examples of which -a names work with an Ar- name are great!

I think something that ends with an “ah” sound, like [name]Clara[/name], [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Claudia[/name], sounds differently enough from a last name that starts with an “ar” sound.

For example [name]Claudia[/name] [name]Arlington[/name] sounds fine. “[name]Ah[/name]” and “ar” are too different sounds.

Thanks so much for this great feedback. I will collect all my favorite names and see how they work with my bf’s last name. It actually does begin with the ARR sound not [name]AIR[/name] but I won’t be limited by any rules :slight_smile: