Name sightings (Part 1)

I thought we could have a kind of ongoing thread about names-- good, bad, interesting-- that we come across in the outside world.

Today at the pool, there were adorable sisters named [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Daphne[/name]. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Iā€™ve recently discovered that - forget the Telegraph announcements - The [name]Sunday[/name] Times (British) ā€˜Homesā€™ suppliment is excellent for featuring the kind of families who pick really ā€˜wowā€™ names for their children. A little boy named [name]Cairo[/name] was a recent find, as were siblings [name]Eero[/name] (m) and [name]Panama[/name] (f).

[name]Auburn[/name]

3 Likes

I posted this on another thread but another teacher at my school has a 19 month old [name]Adele[/name]. I was so excited!

5 Likes

I recently met a Tameika and Taiser (sister and brother)

Nameberries please list what country your in as well.

Im in the US. Yesterday, I heard a little girl named [name]Ala[/name]ā€¦I had thought I had misheard it for [name]AVA[/name] but then heard it a second time and sure enough it was [name]Ala[/name].

2 Likes

Real sisters [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Daphne[/name]? Yes! Thatā€™s always been one of my favorite pairings!

I canā€™t think of any interesting names Iā€™ve spotted latelyā€¦ My husbands coworker recently named her son [name]Jaden[/name] [name]Chase[/name]ā€¦ He tried to talk her out of it but she wouldnā€™t listen.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Australia, and I saw in the paper the other day, a little girl named [name]Acacia[/name] (nn [name]Cacie[/name]).

For those not familiar, [name]Acacia[/name] is actually a type of shrub/tree native to Australia, the most common being the Wattle tree.

I thought this was quite a unique name.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

[name]Haven[/name]'t come across any children lately, but my professor has two cats named [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name], which I thought was a great example of inspired naming. Sebsy and [name]Bea[/name], she calls themā€¦

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I forgot-- the same day I saw [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Daphne[/name], there was a sibset of [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Alice[/name]-- lovely! [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name] are excellent cat names (and human names) and I love [name]Adele[/name]. [name]Acacia[/name] is definitely intriguing.

A teacher at my school is named [name]Lucerne[/name]-- apparently itā€™s a flowerā€¦ Iā€™m not sure how it would be pronounced. I also found out one of my teachers named her daughter [name]Sophia[/name], and another (from [name]Wales[/name]) has [name]Sian[/name] and Valmai.

2 Likes

[name]Lucerne[/name] - very pretty. Itā€™s also the name of a city in Switzerland which is pronounced (at least in English) - Loo-sern.

I met a little girl the other day calledā€¦ LaStarā€¦ what does everyone think of that? :slight_smile:

1 Like

My friends (twins) [name]Ana[/name] and [name]Emma[/name] just got a baby sister! Name: [name]Adela[/name]. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just saw this and had to come straight on here and mention it - itā€™s not a child, but so fun! I was watching The Inspector Lynley Mysteries (a BBC programme) and one of the actresses credited was named ā€¦ Honeysuckle Weeks. According to her Wikipedia page, her parents chose it because the honeysuckle was in bloom when she was born, and her middle names are, get this, [name]Hero[/name] and [name]Susan[/name]. Honeysuckle [name]Hero[/name] [name]Susan[/name] Weeks! Her siblings are [name]Perdita[/name] and [name]Rollo[/name].

[name]Auburn[/name]

8 Likes

auburn all I can say is that her parents had without doubt fantastic taste in names!

rollo

5 Likes

Honeysuckle, wow! I canā€™t say I would like to be named Honeysuckle, but itā€™s certainly unique. [name]Perdita[/name] and [name]Rollo[/name], though, are excellent!

Today I saw:

[name]Nora[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name] (!)
[name]Nola[/name] [name]Rose[/name]

3 Likes

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Auburn[/name] , FYI - Honeysuckle Weeks was also in another British mystery series called ā€œFoyleā€™s Warā€. It was very good so you might want to check it out on video.

Yesterday I saw a [name]Ciera[/name] ([name]Sierra[/name] but yooneek). She was 18ish.

1 Like

One of my co-workers named her child Jailey a few weeks ago. Which sounds cute (though I canā€™t imagine a 40-year old with that name), but did she seriously have to choose to spell it like JAIL-ey?? I live in the Netherlands, so she wonā€™t get teased about it much here I hope, but my co-worker and her husband are thinking of moving to the USā€¦ Poor kid :frowning: .

4 Likes

I am in Aus too, I love the sound of [name]Acacia[/name], and even considered it for my daughter, but I am so allergic to Wattle! lol. I sneeze all spring.

[name]Little[/name] ones from my daughterā€™s play group (all 3 and under):

[name]Ciara[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Louie[/name] (twins)
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] (nn [name]Tilly[/name])
[name]Danni[/name]
McKylie
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]
and my little [name]Elsa[/name]

4 Likes

Two more from the pool: [name]Althea[/name], who looked to be about 8 or 9; and [name]Juniper[/name]! At first I thought he said [name]Jennifer[/name], but it was definitely [name]Juniper[/name]. Iā€™ve never heard of a [name]Juniper[/name] in real life, and it was definitely refreshing. She was probably 6 or 7, and her friend was named [name]Kaylee[/name] (or [name]Cayleigh[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name], etc). And [name]Althea[/name]-- Iā€™ve always really liked that name.

4 Likes

A few years back, a lady at my church had a little girl named [name]Juniper[/name] ā€œ[name]June[/name]ā€. I always thought [name]Juniper[/name] was refreshingly unique, and even [name]June[/name] is not a name you see on small children, so I really liked it. Her brother was named [name]Elliot[/name], and I couldnā€™t help but think of E.T back then, but the name has grown on me since then.

3 Likes