Name suggestion alternatives-some updates

[name]Laura[/name],

That is fascinating that [name]Ali[/name]'s sister’s name is [name]Raya[/name] (and her brother’s name is [name]Michael[/name], I read)…an exotic sounding name w/2 mainstream names…just like my family (save for Navarra)…although I know that [name]Soraya[/name] is even more exotic it seems in my opinion than even [name]Raya[/name]. Did you know that [name]Gavin[/name] Rossdale’s sister’s name is [name]Soraya[/name] and then he has one named [name]Lorraine[/name]?

I considered [name]Mireya[/name] in the hospital and DH wouldn’t go for it, nor would he go for my other idea of Maraya, which seemed to me that I would be getting [name]Mara[/name] and [name]Raya[/name] in one package w/o calling attention to the ‘ara’ sound if this makes sense.

I think in this case, I just [name]MAY[/name] have to live and accept the alliteration because I just cannot bring myself to change the middle name. I just hope it doesn’t sound too bad or like a ‘stripper’ so to speak.

Thank you, too!

Janda

Oh I would never think “stripper” when hearing [name]Soraya[/name] [name]Seren[/name]! It’s a very sophisticated name to me.

It is interesting about the mixes of names in families though. I think we all sometimes think that all siblings have the same “kinds” of names but it just isn’t the case. My aunty has 4 sons called [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Joshua[/name], [name]Samuel[/name] and Hemi! Hemi was named by his Dad after a New Zealand rugby player! It never seems odd to us because we know them as individuals. I also have twin friends called [name]Arielle[/name] and [name]Rohana[/name], whose younger sister is [name]Isabelle[/name] and younger brother [name]Jordan[/name]. So I think classic or well known names and unusual or exotic names are definitely quote often heard within the same sibset.

And know I didn’t know [name]Gavin[/name] Rossdale has a sister called [name]Soraya[/name] and one called [name]Lorraine[/name]! What a strange mix! [name]Do[/name] you know if [name]Soraya[/name]'s the youngest or eldest because I think sometimes people get more adventurous the more children they have because they get fed up of their elder children having common names maybe? [name]Just[/name] a thought!

That’s a shame your hubby didn’t go for Maraya! It seems like the perfect solution to your problem as you could have got the best of both worlds! And the choice of nn’s [name]Mara[/name], [name]Mari[/name], [name]Raya[/name] and [name]Ray[/name]! Oh well. I think these things usually work themselves out in the end and perhaps the fact that all these other names haven’t worked for one reason or another, goes to prove that [name]Soraya[/name] is the name she was meant to have? And what a lovely name it would be to have too :slight_smile:

[name]Laura[/name]

[name]Laura[/name],

That is more than reassuring to know that [name]Soraya[/name] [name]Seren[/name] sounds sophisticated to your ear.

[name]Soraya[/name] Rossdale is the younger sister. Also, I just read his half-brother’s name is [name]David[/name] (maybe I am biased, but I think [name]Keira[/name] goes better w/a sister named [name]Soraya[/name] than [name]Lorraine[/name]!). I agree that sometimes people get more adventureous (sp.?) w/subsequent children’s names. Although, I must say, I might be an oddity, since I started w/a bang of exotic, ahem, Navarra and went out on the same note w/[name]Soraya[/name]. I also see it as you do; not all sib sets go together or are from the same kind of ‘pool’ so to speak…and I think that is neat, because each child is definitely their own individual and I think well I gave them each the name I did because that is what worked for me at that particular time in my life kind of thing. However, I did notice that sib sets working well together seems to be a running theme and concern among some on this board, which isn’t a bad thing one way or another. You just have to do what works for your own family and not worry what anyone else thinks.

Also, yes, it is a shame my DH didn’t go for Maraya. And I do agree that these things definitely do have a way of working themselves out!

Thanks again!
Janda

Janda,

I meant when choosing names I like, I chose for sound first, over meaning. Actually, I really only chose for sound. For example, my favorite girls’ name is [name]Lydia[/name]. I just love how melodious and soft it sounds, yet the hard D in the middle of the name gives it presence and substance. Together, the sounds balance into something beautiful, I think. [name]Lydia[/name] doesn’t have a great meaning - “woman from [name]Lydia[/name]” - but the way the name sounds, and more importantly feels, wins out for me.

I’m glad you liked [name]Araya[/name] [name]Seren[/name]. I think you could still get that [name]Raya[/name] nickname - I think it makes a perfect nickname but is slightly insubstantial as a first name. Also, I think [name]Araya[/name] [name]Seren[/name] is just so cute because [name]Araya[/name] sounds like “a ray of” and [name]Seren[/name] means “star,” so it is ‘almost’ like "a ray of sunshine.’ Okay, maybe that’s a stretch, but I think it is cute!

If you think you love [name]Soraya[/name], then you should stick with that. However, I do think something like [name]Araya[/name] has a much more straightforward pronunciation that [name]Soraya[/name], which could be ‘sor-[name]RAY[/name]-uh,’ ‘sor-[name]RYE[/name]-uh,’ or something completely different…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Lemon[/name],

Thanks for sharing your favorite name, as I was curious what it was, since you give such great advice.

I agree w/you about how [name]Araya[/name] has a more straightforward pronunciation than [name]Soraya[/name]. I did a web search for [name]Araya[/name] and I didn’t find a whole lot about it. I think I may stick w/[name]Soraya[/name], though, because I not only like the sound (and I agree w/you on all points about how sound is what people hear on a daily basis), but the meaning is so extraordinary based on the time she was born. I also agree that [name]Raya[/name] seems unsubstantial to me, too, as a first name…like something is missing. [name]Do[/name] you know if [name]Raya[/name] is more often pronounced [name]RYE[/name]-a or [name]RAY[/name]-a? I noticed there was only 170 [name]Soraya[/name]'s born last year based on that monster list…that isn’t very many, is it???

Thanks again!
Janda

No, 170 babies named [name]Soraya[/name] is not many at all! I don’t quite remember what [name]Soraya[/name]'s meaning is, and I recall you saying NB didn’t have it right - what is it, again?

It seems [name]Soraya[/name] is the name for you. I love [name]Araya[/name], and its perky pronunciation, but you keep coming back to [name]Soraya[/name], and I think that definitely means something. I don’t know how [name]Raya[/name] is typically pronounced, but I would pronounce it as ‘[name]RAY[/name]-uh,’ myself, as in the name [name]Rhea[/name]. Strangely, my first instinct with [name]Soraya[/name] is ‘sor-[name]RYE[/name]-ah,’ which doesn’t have the same [name]Raya[/name] pronunciation. This is a pronunciation key I found for [name]Raya[/name], so it seems I’m on track there:

r ai y uh
rat pain yes up

And here is one for [name]Soraya[/name], so it seems I’m on track with the majority there, too:

s oh r ay uh
so so rat lie up

Interesting, isn’t it?

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Lemon[/name]:

The pronunciations are VERY INTERESTING! Thanks for posting them for me! In regards to the ‘real’ meaning of [name]Soraya[/name] based on my research…it is a star cluster in the constellation of [name]Taurus[/name]…I believe the star cluster that represents the 7 daughters of [name]Atlas[/name]. And my [name]Soraya[/name] just happens to be a [name]Taurus[/name], so… HOWEVER, Nameberry has it listed as meaning ‘princess’…when I feel it only received that meaning because of [name]Princess[/name] [name]Soraya[/name], the wife of the former Shah of Iran. After really digging deeply, I discovered that [name]Princess[/name] [name]Soraya[/name] was named sometime in 1930ss for the actual meaning I go by. So just by association of a princess and a name, the name [name]Soraya[/name] derived it’s ‘modern day meaning so to speak’. And the princess meaning just doesn’t cut it for me, although it is a nice one. Basically [name]Soraya[/name] is the Persian name for what the Greek call Pleiades (which I am sure people in general are more familiar w/)…or what the Japanese call Subaru as funny as that sounds because of the well known car brand.

Janda

[name]Just[/name] to chime in! My impression as to why nameberry has [name]Soraya[/name] is listed as meaning princess, is its link to [name]Sariah[/name] which in turn is a form of [name]Sarah[/name] (as is [name]Sarai[/name]) all of which mean princess.

Pronounciation wise I agree with [name]Lemon[/name]. Instinctively I would pronounce [name]Araya[/name] uh-[name]RAY[/name]-uh and [name]Soraya[/name] suh-REYE-uh.

However since reading your posts I’ve quite easily adapted to saying suh-[name]RAY[/name]-uh and I think most people in your daughters life would too.

Okay, so I know I’m waaay too late in the game, but I want to suggest some anyway:)

[name]Zelina[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Zola[/name]
[name]Eleni[/name]
[name]Calandra[/name]
[name]Ambra[/name]
[name]Ashira[/name]
[name]Azura[/name]
[name]Demitra[/name]
Demitria
[name]Elettra[/name]
[name]Eliora[/name]
[name]Emira[/name]
[name]Feodora[/name]
[name]Liora[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Ramira[/name]
[name]Sapphira[/name]
[name]Sashira[/name]
[name]Yadira[/name]
[name]Amaya[/name]
[name]Aniya[/name]
[name]Batya[/name]
[name]Enya[/name]
[name]Liya[/name]
[name]Priya[/name]
[name]Sonya[/name]
[name]Surya[/name]
[name]Zilya[/name]
[name]Zoya[/name]
[name]Asha[/name]
[name]Leela[/name]
[name]Sorina[/name]

I hope this helps:)

:slight_smile:
[name]Isabel[/name]

I’m not sure if these have been suggestes all ready but how about [name]Thea[/name], [name]Aria[/name], or [name]Alaia[/name] (ah-lye-uh). They are unusual and exotic but not out there. Also, if you like [name]Mara[/name] and [name]Mira[/name] you might like [name]Mila[/name] (prn Mee-la).