Name that baby! We are struggling!

Ok berries, DH and I are not in love with any of our name choices so far. I am open to any and all suggestions! Big brother is [name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], and our last name is pronounced I-O, so that eliminates long I or O endings for us. I don’t even know if I could say we for sure have a style, but here’s what we’ve come up with so far:

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]India[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Meryl[/name_f] ?
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
Kate ?

[name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]India[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] happen to be family names, but we just like them and aren’t really considering them based on that.
I know [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] is a total outlier in this group, but it was on our boy list and we like it for a girl too. I think [name_m]Benny[/name_m] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] would be a cute nickname, but I’m not intentionally trying for a double name. I posted this on my birth board and discovered that [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] for a girl was very polarizing, people either loved it or totally hated it. For some reason I don’t find it to be very masculine, but others did.

I would also like to use [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] after my grandmother, but DH doesn’t like it and I think it’s too similar to [name_u]Owen[/name_u] for a first name. And I can’t seem to make it work for a middle name.

And some of these don’t sound great with [name_u]Owen[/name_u], which bothers me. Is that very important?

So what do you think berries, can we find a winner??!! Like I said suggest away, we are totally open to hearing all ideas. I’m actually kind of hoping that someone will suggest something that makes us both just say “that’s the one”!

Thank you ladies so much!

I love [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]! Classic and beautiful but not overly popular. I could also be convinced of [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_f]Claire[/name_f].

I’m not a huge fan of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], but [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] would be beautiful. That would be my first choice.

I also love [name_f]Frances[/name_f] as a first name. There is a little girl in my daughter’s class name [name_f]Frances[/name_f] that everyone calls [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] and it is adorable. [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], called [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] would be amazing.

I love [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_f]India[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]! [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] would be lovely too.

[name_f]Meryl[/name_f] just reminds me of [name_f]Meryl[/name_f] Streep, and all I’ll say about [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] is if you told me you had two children, [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], I would assume they were both boys-save [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] for a son, it’s a great name.

Thanks ladies! [name_f]Ada[/name_f] was high on our list if [name_u]Owen[/name_u] had been a girl. I like it a lot, so we’ll definitely keep it as an option.

As for [name_f]Frances[/name_f], it’s my childless aunt’s name, and we aren’t particularly close, so I feel like using it as a first name might not be appropriate or appreciated by other family.

We talked about [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] at one time, both of our grandmothers names, but DH axed it and it doesn’t really flow with [name_u]Owen[/name_u].

I forgot to include [name_f]Kate[/name_f], we had that on our list, so I’ll update my original post.

[name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is my favorite too! It’s gorgeous!

BTW, I do not recommend [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] for a girl. As a boys’ name, it would result in mix-ups and confusion that would add stress to her life.

[name_f]Meryl[/name_f] [name_f]Viva[/name_f] is my pick. I like [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] just fine you could always change it to [name_f]Benita[/name_f] if you must have it girlier.

While I have always thought of [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] add a boy, I admit that I like it on a girl. Makes me think of the [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] family in pride and prejudice.
Loving your [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and [name_f]India[/name_f] options worth [name_u]Owen[/name_u].

I also really like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f].
Thought of [name_f]Margot[/name_f]/[name_f]Margo[/name_f]
& [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]/[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]. I think
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] would be cute, especially with [name_u]Owen[/name_u], and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] could still work for a nickname!

This was sort of the issue we had when we posted on babycenter, people either liked it for a girl or said absolutely not it’s a boy name only. I think I’m letting those no’s affect how much I like [name_m]Bennett[/name_m].

Our name ends in O, so [name_f]Margo[/name_f] isn’t an option. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is cute, but I don’t see my DH liking it, and I don’t think I like it enough to keep it on the table.

[name_f]Viva[/name_f] makes me think of paper towels, sorry!

I just feel like all the names are missing something. Does everyone feel that way when they name their kid? I want to absolutely love her name and just feel certain about it. When we named our son, he came 3 weeks early, so we only had our list of 5, and by the last day when he HAD to name we just compromised on [name_u]Owen[/name_u]. I couldn’t imagine him being named anything else, but at the time I definitely didn’t love it.

Guess I’m looking for a different experience this time around.

I honestly don’t see the issue with Own and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] at all. I could see [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_m]Bowen[/name_m] being big no-nos or even [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], but [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]? There is no “flow” issue. Plus, children’s names are not often said together all the time. Your little girl will not always be part of “[name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]” and it seems a little silly to nix the name because it has the same subtle -n ending as [name_u]Owen[/name_u]. [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] gets my vote out of all the names listed.

Maybe you’ll warm up to something on your list after all, like you did with [name_u]Owen[/name_u]? Maybe, since you are looking for something different (you don’t want to have to warm up to it, you want something you’re absolutely sure about from the start), it’s led you to nitpick every single name? I don’t know if this applies to your situation, but I had read a very good idea somewhere that instead of crossing names off your list, try to see positive things in your existing list and move them up to your favorites.

Other than that, I notice that a number on your shortlist are traditional names, so how about the following?

[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]/[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

I would save [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] for if you have another son. My favorites from your list are [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], I also really like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f].

[name_m]Just[/name_m] told DH we are adding [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] back to the list, it uses both of our grandmothers’ names, so he agreed he didn’t hate it.

I completely agree and think we need to do that, stop nitpicking every name and just find what we like about each and rank them accordingly.

I guess I have a little bit of jealously of people that have always had a fabulous name picked out and don’t waiver :wink:

I don’t see any problem with [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] :slight_smile: [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is just lovely! But since your husband doesn’t love it, maybe he would like [name_f]Vivianna[/name_f] or [name_f]Vivica[/name_f] better? They still strongly tie to your grandmother’s name, and perhaps a little compromise would get him completely on board. If he just doesn’t like the sound, you could also try names with the same meaning, like [name_f]Zoe[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Liv[/name_f], or [name_f]Bria[/name_f]. [name_f]Eva[/name_f] is similar in feel to [name_f]Ada[/name_f], plus could be an honor name. I really like it for you: [name_f]Eva[/name_f] Rose and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] Joseph :slight_smile:

Of the other names on your list, [name_m]Bennet[/name_m] doesn’t work for me, I love [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] (some of my absolute favorites), and I like [name_f]Ada[/name_f].

If your husband doesn’t like Vivienne Rose, I think it’d be better to tweak it into something he’d like better, or drop it, or at least make some compromise with him. You can look around the site for similar names to both your favorites, and go from there. It’s always better if the shortlist is something you at least both like.

It’s a case of grass is greener, I think. :slight_smile: The problem with immediately zeroing in on “the one” is being emotionally prepared for new developments you don’t have control of. What if, months after you’ve decided on that one name, something happens that affects the name? Just think: a hypothetical couple who have zeroed in on their perfect baby name–Isis. After that, the terrorist group happens.

what about:

[name_u]Eloise[/name_u]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwenyth[/name_f]/[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]

i like ada vivienne or even india vivienne. if you still wanna honour your other grandma, how about rosa vivienne? i like rosa much better than rose as a middle name. rosalie is also always an option :slight_smile: (maybe not with the last name though). i also love eleanor and margaret.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] gets my vote. :slight_smile:

I agree that [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is lovely!

I’m just not a huge fan of long middle names. I much prefer [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] I think. And I do absolutely love [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], we’ve sort of been stuck on that one too for a while. The more I say it out loud the more I like it. Plus there are so many nickname possibilities with that one.
The ONLY downside to using [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is that we honored my dad by using [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] as our son’s middle name, and [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is his sister. Again, we just like the name. So that means that we won’t be using a name from DH’s families or my mom’s, and this might be our last baby, you never know.