Name that works in English + Brazilian Portuguese

We are expecting a little girl in December (whoooo quarantine baby!) and our daughter Clara will be 2.5. We want a similar in style name (Vintage, short, punchy) and we can’t agree on anything.

An extra level of complication is that my in-laws only speak Portuguese so the name has to work for both languages (ex: I love my grandmothers name “Mae” but that literally translates to “Mom” so it’s a no go. I love the name “Ruby” but the pronunciation sounds like “Hooby” so no way). Also, as is customary in many South American countries, my kids will have two last names and no middle. So this first name is really all they get. Here are my favorites so far (Portuguese equivalent or pronunciation in parenthesis.) We will be using English version at home, Portuguese version with family. Please feel free to add your own suggestions!! Everything helps!

• [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and Alice (Ah-Lee-See)
  • [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and Emily (Emilia)
  • [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and Juliet (Julie-etche)
  • [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and Agnes (no difference)
  • [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and Vivian (no difference)
  • [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and Stella (E-Stella)
1 Like

I left you some ideas on your first post. :wink:
Clara sister name (Portuguese speaking in-laws)

1 Like

Clara and [name_f]Stella[/name_f] are great!!

I’ll suggest [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - you could always use the nickname [name_f]Mae[/name_f] at home

1 Like

I absolutely adore [name_u]Vivian[/name_u], I think It is lovely with [name_f]Clara[/name_f], they would make a lovely sibset. Also, the pronunciation doesn’t change

Emilia and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are my favorites, and the both go beautifully with [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. I might lean towards [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], as I don’t know if the popularity of [name_f]Emily[/name_f]/Emilia bothers you or not. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] are just gorgeous together.

I absolutely love [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Stella[/name_f] with [name_f]Clara[/name_f], with [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] as a close runner-up. The first two in particular really seem to fit that “vintage, short, punchy” vibe you’re going for, and they sound great next to big sister’s name. Honestly though, I like every name on your list–you can’t go wrong here, imo! (Not helpful, I know). I would also suggest [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], and [name_f]Celia[/name_f]–with the caveat that I’m not super familiar with Portuguese so I’m not totally sure how these would sound!

Had similar issue w my first kid as in laws only spoke Spanish. I wood eliminate [name_f]Alice[/name_f] all together the Portuguese translation is too different. I like [name_f]Stella[/name_f] the most but all your choices are nice!

I like [name_f]Emily[/name_f]/Emilia and [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] best but they’re all solid choices.