Name thief!

We were all set to name our baby girl [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], but my sister’s siter-in-law had her baby girl a few weeks early and used the name! [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] has been my favorite name since I was a little girl, so I was a bit devastated that it was taken out from under me! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think we could use the name [name_f]Celia[/name_f] instead? I know it’s close, but it is a completely different name with a different meaning? Any thoughts?

[name_m]How[/name_m] often do you see your sister’s sister-in-law? If you only see her on holidays then I think you could get away with using [name_f]Celia[/name_f]. If you see her more often than that then it might get confusing. So sorry that happened! Was she aware that you were planning to use that name?

If it was your name and you loved it since you were a little girl, I would totally use [name_f]Celia[/name_f] or even [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f].
If someone in my family were to use [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] I wouldn’t care one bit and still use it. They could complain or tell me that it’s their name or say that it would be weird having two little Elliotts in one family or or or, I’d still use it since it’s been my favourite name since I was 8/9.

The idea of “name-napping” gets thrown around a lot on this site. Frankly, unless you are pregnant and had a conversation with your also-pregnant sister’s [name_m]SIL[/name_m] about how [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] your #1 forever-favorite name and you are for sure using it on your soon-to-be-born baby daughter, [name_m]SIL[/name_m] is not a name thief. [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] has gained a lot of upward momentum in recent years. It’s hardly uncommon. In fact, I’d say [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] even has the potential to crack the top 20. Names are common property: they can’t be claimed.

That said, I feel for you. If a family member used any of my top names, even unintentionally, I would be so steamed. @erin91 has a good point: how often do you see your sister’s sister-in-law? (Also, sister’s sister-in-law seems like the designation of a pretty distant non-relative, in the same class as second cousin twice removed or stepbrother’s step-nephew or something.) If you see this person rarely, [name_f]Celia[/name_f] or [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] or even, yes, [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] would all be perfectly acceptable names for your kid. In my extended family there are three Johns, two [name_m]Georges[/name_m], a [name_f]Laura[/name_f] and a [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]. Nobody gets confused. As much as we like to obsess over names, it isn’t actually that hard to tell two people apart. If you’re really concerned, just give your [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] a really distinctive middle name or nickname that she can go by at family gatherings.

I would still use the name. I thought of being in that situation and I don’t even know my brothers sil or my sil’s sil.

I would still use [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]. Your “sister’s sister-in-law” is only one step above “random stranger” to me. There’s no reason why her choice should make using your favorite name impossible.

If you just can’t stand it, then, yes, using [name_f]Celia[/name_f] would be fine.

Sorry! I should have clarified… I am expecting a girl in a few weeks, and she was aware of our name choice. I don’t see her on a regular basis, but we did grow up in the same town and now live only a few minutes away from eachother. honestly, my only reservation is that my sister would have two nieces with the same name… I feel as though that may be confusing for her and her children.

I say name her [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] anyway! If it’s been your favorite name since childhood. Think of it as a family name :slight_smile: Also it being your sister’s sister-in-law makes the distance so much more

• I just read your comment. The fact that she knew your name choice is pretty annoying. Definitely name her [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]

I totally agree with other posters, and especially augusta_lee that think you should still use [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]. It’s a stretch to consider your sister’s sister-in-law a family relative of yours, and especially to have to drop your favorite name. Go for it! Your [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] or [name_f]Celia[/name_f] will have both a different middle and last name. I don’t think it would be any different than your daughter having the same name as someone else in the neighborhood, a co-worker’s grand-daughter, etc.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] read your post… I know it’s not “ideal” for your sister and her kids but I think you choosing a name that YOU [name_u]LOVE[/name_u], and have for a very long time, trumps any confusion in her family. I know of sister-in-laws with the same name and it works okay.

It’s super annoying that she swiped the name from you! But I understand you not wanting to use it. My favorite name is [name_u]Delaney[/name_u], and if someone I knew or even someone I used to know named their baby [name_u]Delaney[/name_u], I would be so upset and still want to use it but I know I wouldn’t. If your concern is that it will be too confusing for your sister and her children, I think [name_f]Celia[/name_f] could be just as confusing.
So I would say go all the way with [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] or chose a new one!

I have cousins on opposite sides of the family with the same name and I never thought it was weird…I just thought it was a popular name. They’re [name_f]Crista[/name_f] & [name_f]Krista[/name_f]. (I also have a cousin named [name_f]Kristina[/name_f].) Use the name that feels right to you!

I have two female cousin’s named [name_u]Bailey[/name_u]'s on my mom’s side of the family, but so far there hasn’t been much confusion. I say if you truly loved [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] then use it. I know it may become confusing for your sister to have two nieces w/ the same name, but maybe she could come up w/ a special nickname for your daughter to help differentiate the two. :slight_smile:

I would still use [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] if I were you! It’s your all time favorite name and your sister’s [name_m]SIL[/name_m] is a pretty random person (very different if your own sister stole your baby name).

If that was me I would go ahead and use [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] as originally planned… its not like its your sister in law and if you dont use it you will feel bitter about it

Could you still use [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] but call her by a nickname? Also, [name_f]Celia[/name_f] is very pretty. If it were me, I would probably either still use [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] or go with [name_f]Celia[/name_f]; both are gorgeous options.

Sorry your [name_m]SIL[/name_m] did that. Seems pretty rude of her, but try your best to let it go and enjoy your excitement over your little one’s upcoming arrival.

I’m so sorry that happened! If she was aware I’m sure it seems intentional to you.(strangely enough this is close to my mothers’-story with my own name).

(I know to other people your sisters’ [name_m]SIL[/name_m] might feel far removed… But in my family it would not be at all. We bump into each other, went to school together, got married in the same church and spend thanksgiving and the 4th together every year.)

My thoughts are:

[name_m]How[/name_m] big of a community do you share?

Is the middle name set?

If so could you live with calling her [name_f]Celia[/name_f] “middle”?

(Worse case scenario: months after little girl comes home, you find you can’t get over it… Is her middle usable as a first name?) this of course is not what I’m suggesting, but only you know how you are going to feel.

The good news is I think no matter what, you can’t go wrong just naming her what you love! [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t fret over it too much!

Name her [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] and call her [name_f]Celia[/name_f], if you want to later… I would just be sure you love her middle too, as in a room full of mutual cousins it might be her full name you call out.

And you never know name thief [name_m]Jr[/name_m] blocks away might be called CC or something.

Eh, I wouldn’t worry about it. You don’t seem to see her that often, and as far as your sister or her kids having two Cecelia’s in the family, oh well, you know? I’ve got two Stephanie’s, two Samantha’s, two Brian’s, and two David’s among my cousins, and when I talk about them there’s always context, so it’s rarely confusing. If someone is ever like “wait, what Stephanie?” you just tack on a surname and they immediately understand. It’s never caused any issues for us.

If she knew your name plans and still used out, that’s uncool. But, I can also understand that sometimes you hear a name and it’s absolutely perfect and really nine of us own a name, so if she heard it and fell in love I can understand why she’d use it. It’s rough having someone use a name you love, though, so I feel for you.

In my family we have three [name_m]Daniels[/name_m], all of whom go by [name_m]Dan[/name_m]. They were born within three years of each other, too. I guess my aunt may have been a bit annoyed when her cousin used it, but they got over it. No one bothered my mom about it when she named my brother [name_m]Daniel[/name_m].

So I think you can and should use it anyway.

This is a non issue. If this were your brother and his wife than named their child [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], then this would be a problem. But this is your sister’s [name_m]SIL[/name_m]…I have never even met two of my sister’s SILs! I would still name your child [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] if it’s your favorite name. I don’t care for [name_f]Celia[/name_f] quite as much as [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] and I really don’t see this being an issue. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you bump into them, even if you live in a small town, even is your sister will have two nieces named [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]…All that should matter is if you love the name and envision it on your child.

My all-time favorite girl name used to be [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I loved that name more than anything else in the entire world. Well, my older, married sister and her husband have selected that for their girl name. My sister “doesn’t remember” me saying how much I loved the name, etc., etc., etc. You know how it goes. Well, for a while, I felt like I was in a tailspin. I couldn’t even picture any other name I liked as much as [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. If I’m being honest, I STILL haven’t found a name I like quite as much. My sister hasn’t had a daughter yet, so I joke all the time that it’s still first come, first serve with the name.

I really think you should name your daughter [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f].