Name this girl!

We’ve reached a sort of deadlock for the second girls’ name for our twins (we don’t know the genders yet, and so are planning for all eventualities), and so I’ve been thinking of a novel way to get suggestions. I won’t tell the names of our other three children, or the names we are considering, just give a description. We can’t predict what our little girl would be like, of course, but I have merged DH and I’s traits a little, as well as thinking about the personalities of our families in general, and come up with what I think is a fairly plausible idea.

She has red hair (or maybe blonde or brown, but I know that red is dominant), and green or brown eyes. She is short, and has pale skin. She is very creative and quite intelligent, and her passions include literature and theatre. She enjoys travelling (a ‘free spirit’, as I myself have been called) and is very relaxed and happy. But what is her name?

Thank you all in advance :slight_smile:

hmmm, I can see her being named [name]Alice[/name]…

with the red hair…[name]Freya[/name] just came to mind too…

[name]Scarlet[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Posy[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]

I could see [name]Raquel[/name] (rachel)
[name]Alison[/name]
[name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Megan[/name]
[name]Shauna[/name]
or [name]Devin[/name]

Twinkle,

I could see your daughter as a [name]MAGNOLIA[/name] if she were to have red hair and green eyes, and I would call her [name]Maggie[/name]. Should she turn out to be more of a blonde, delicate child, I would call her [name]Lia[/name]. And, if she were a more exotic looking child, with dark hair and green or brown eyes, I might even call her [name]Nola[/name].

I might also name her [name]CASSIA[/name], as it means “cinnamon.” This seems to be the perfect name for a sweet, red-headed little girl with big, beautiful, curious eyes and a penchant for adventure. You could call her [name]Cassie[/name], but I think this would fit more for a blonde than a red-head. I don’t know if it is too hard to pull of, but [name]SiSi[/name] (like Cee Cee) would be cute, too…

Another name I could see for this little girl is HOSANNA, a Greek name meaning “praise!” I think it is unique and sassy, just like I picture your daughter to be, but then it can be brought back to more normalcy with the sweet, delicate nickname, [name]Annie[/name].

Going in a different direction, I can see your daughter, strikingly gorgeous with her red hair and green eyes, being named [name]BELLATRIX[/name]. Yes, the name might be a bit unique, or it might remind some people of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], but I think it is cute. It seems to match this “free spirit” image you have conveyed of a theatrical, inquisitive young girl, and she could be called [name]Belle[/name], [name]Bella[/name], or [name]Trixie[/name]!

On the less unusual side, I could see your daughter being called [name]GLORIA[/name], perhaps with the nickname [name]Glory[/name]. However, I would choose this should your daughter turn out to be a bit more reserved than your description might suggest - a quiet personality with her head in the clouds, perhaps…

Perhaps the most normal name I will suggest for her is [name]STELLA[/name]. [name]Serene[/name] and intelligent, yet confident and witty, this name shines just as much as I imagine your daughter will.

Twinkle, I know from reading your other polls that [name]Dorothea[/name] will likely be the other twin’s name. However, I think that [name]Cassia[/name] and [name]Bellatrix[/name] would make a striking pair. I love Hosanna and [name]Magnolia[/name] together, too, as [name]Annie[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] are so, so sweet!

Good luck!

[name]Anwen[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Freya[/name] - I second [name]Freya[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Grier[/name]
[name]Magdalena[/name] nn [name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] nn [name]Vera[/name]

[name]Alayna[/name]
[name]Alexine[/name] ( I see a little lexi)
[name]Ariel[/name]
[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Arya[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
Chole
[name]Elle[/name]
[name]Elva[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Roslin[/name]
[name]Silvia[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]

Your description makes me think of names I consider to be romantic or exotic. A few vintage name came to mind also.

[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Jacinda[/name]
[name]India[/name]
[name]Eulalia[/name] / [name]Eulalie[/name]
[name]Roisin[/name] ([name]Rosheen[/name])

Perhaps you could name her after a literary heroine, I thought of
[name]Anne[/name], from [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables.

And I want to second the suggestion of [name]Bellatrix[/name], very pretty.

I definitely see an [name]Eliza[/name]

[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Morwenna[/name]
Lisela
[name]Alexandrine[/name]
[name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Anwen[/name]
Eirlys
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Liana[/name]
[name]Ondine[/name]
[name]Flavia[/name]
[name]Isabeau[/name]
[name]Philomena[/name]
[name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]

twinkle,
When I read your description M- names came it mind immediately, perhaps nicknamed [name]Mimi[/name]?, although I can’t say why! (And I didn’t even read that it was you, twinkle!).

Here’s some off-beat M- names:

[name]Minerva[/name]
[name]Minna[/name]
[name]Milla[/name]
[name]Malia[/name]
[name]Maris[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Marin[/name] or Merin
[name]Melaina[/name]
[name]Muriel[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Moira[/name]
[name]Meliora[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
And I do think [name]Magnolia[/name] is beautiful!

And a couple non Ms:
[name]Ginevra[/name]
[name]Henriette[/name]/[name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Cecelia[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
Sametta
[name]Sonora[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Hadassah[/name]
[name]Calandra[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]/a
[name]Francine[/name]/a
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Liberty[/name]
[name]Shoshana[/name]
[name]Alethea[/name]
Eugena
[name]Clementine[/name]

[name]Betsy[/name] or maybe [name]Patsy[/name]!

[name]Maura[/name]
[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Bea[/name]… [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Posey[/name]

I see:
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Elaine[/name]

I think she could be a:

[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Katrina[/name]/[name]Caitriona[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Delila[/name]
[name]Gillian[/name]

[name]Charlotte[/name] definitely comes to mind! Also [name]Emmeline[/name].

bumpin’ for twinkle :slight_smile:

Thank you [name]Lemon[/name]! And thank you for all of your thoughtful suggestions, too.
[name]Cassia[/name] - I have a bad association witha [name]Cassandra[/name], which puts me off this one, but it is a very good example of our style.
[name]Bellatrix[/name] - I adore this one, especially as it is a constellation, but is it too [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]? I also worry that it is an inversion of Trixibelle, the ultimate silly celebrity baby name …
[name]Magnolia[/name] - we both like this one, and are going to keep it in consideration.

Dove14 - we love [name]Minerva[/name], [name]Delphine[/name] and [name]Ginevra[/name]; they are just our style, and have been added to the list. Thank you! [name]Cecily[/name] will be a middle to honour DH’s grandfather [name]Cecil[/name], but it cannot be a first name, unfortunately, as I am sure I would nn her [name]Silly[/name] and we could not have twins [name]Dotty[/name] and [name]Silly[/name]!

Thank you all, and more suggestions are welcome!

Thank you [name]Lemon[/name]! And thank you for all of your thoughtful suggestions, too.
[name]Cassia[/name] - I have a bad association witha [name]Cassandra[/name], which puts me off this one, but it is a very good example of our style.
[name]Bellatrix[/name] - I adore this one, especially as it is a constellation, but is it too [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]? I also worry that it is an inversion of Trixibelle, the ultimate silly celebrity baby name …
[name]Magnolia[/name] - we both like this one, and are going to keep it in consideration.

Dove14 - we love [name]Minerva[/name], [name]Delphine[/name] and [name]Ginevra[/name]; they are just our style, and have been added to the list. Thank you! [name]Cecily[/name] will be a middle to honour DH’s grandfather [name]Cecil[/name], but it cannot be a first name, unfortunately, as I am sure I would nn her [name]Silly[/name] and we could not have twins [name]Dotty[/name] and [name]Silly[/name]!

Thank you all, and more suggestions are welcome![/quote]

Aw, too bad about [name]Cassia[/name]. The cinnamon meaning just warms me up inside, though!

About [name]Bellatrix[/name], I don’t think it is TOO [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], especially as the age of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] is coming to a close - at least in my opinion it is. [name]Bellatrix[/name] Lestrange really doesn’t seem like a major character, and people still use [name]Hermione[/name] despite [name]Hermione[/name] being a major character! About Trixibelle - 1) I would never have associated [name]Bellatrix[/name] with Trixibelle, honestly, and 2) the Geldof girl is [name]Fifi[/name] Trixibelle, so it is technically a silly celebrity MIDDLE name…

[name]Magnolia[/name] is just so pretty - and natural - in my opinion. [name]Maggie[/name] is a really nice nickname, too!

Another thing - [name]Ginevra[/name] [name]Cecily[/name] is a cute pair! [name]Ginny[/name] is darling!