Name to honour Ruth Ann

I don’t want to use [name]Ruth[/name] or [name]Ann[/name] but want something similar! Please help me. I want it for my first daughter! Thanks!

Well, there are absolutely heaps of names containing [name]Ann[/name], of course. Some are:

[name]Anais[/name]
[name]Anca[/name]
[name]Anita[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Anneli[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]/[name]Annalisa[/name]
[name]Annette[/name]
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Anoushka[/name]
[name]Anjali[/name]
[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Lillian/name
[name]Nancy[/name]
[name]Rosanna[/name]
[name]Roxanne[/name]
Saranna
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Vivian/name.

If you were willing to stretch the connection, you could go for a name inspired by [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables (the most obvious choice, although perhaps not the loveliest, being [name]Anne[/name]'s surname [name]Shirley[/name]), or if your style is more modern then [name]Bronte[/name] (as in [name]Anne[/name]). Other [name]Anne[/name] [name]Bronte[/name]-related choices could be [name]Charlotte[/name] or [name]Emily[/name], of course, but also [name]Agnes[/name] - or even [name]Gray[/name] - or [name]Helen[/name], after the main characters in her novels.

As for [name]Ruth[/name], the name means ‘friend’, so perhaps another choice with a similar meaning? [name]Amy[/name] actually means ‘beloved’, but it’s certainly close to the word for friend in many languages. More accurately, there’s [name]Amity[/name], [name]Anisa[/name] (Arabic), [name]Amice[/name] (Medieval) and any name derived from ‘philos’ - so [name]Philipa[/name], [name]Philomena[/name], [name]Philomela[/name] etc… And [name]Buddy[/name] would be a sweet choice for a son :smiley:

Or how about a character from the Biblical Book of [name]Ruth[/name]? [name]Naomi[/name], perhaps, or [name]Boaz[/name] for a boy. Or [name]Esther[/name], the only other Book to be named after a woman (well, there’s [name]Judith[/name], but that depends which denomination you are if you’re religious - some don’t include it).

So, there are lots of options! I hope you find one you like,
[name]Auburn[/name]

[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Roxanne[/name]
[name]Roxanna[/name]
[name]Reanna[/name]
[name]Rhiannon[/name]
[name]Raina[/name]

Any of these seem like a possibility?

What’s wrong with [name]Ruth[/name]? It’s a great name and she was one of the great women of the Torah.

I know a teenager named [name]Ruth[/name] who goes by [name]Ruthie[/name] and I’ve always thought the name was lovely on her. You could use it as a middle name.

This is a little out there, but I think [name]Truth[/name] could be a lovely middle name. It incorporates [name]Ruth[/name] into it.

In the book of [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Naomi[/name] changes her name to [name]Mara[/name] which are also be spelled [name]Marah[/name].

Ooh, great idea! And I should mention that [name]Ruth[/name] is a great name as it is, too - as a PP suggested, it would make a fabulous middle name.

[name]Auburn[/name]

I could see where you would be hesitant to use [name]Ruth[/name]. It does have a dated feel to it.

My grandmother’s name is [name]Ruthia[/name]. I think it is a great twist on [name]Ruth[/name]. It gives a softer, girlier feel to it.

I also think the nickname [name]Ruthie[/name] is really cute.