Name trends within Families

In my family, there is a definite theme of classic, not really overused names. All of my cousins (and my siblings) have classic names, their gender is easily identified, no made up spellings, and each person’s name has some family connection. (Ex. [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], [name]David[/name], [name]Dylan[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]William[/name], etc.)

The other day, my partner and I were at a friend of ours’ family gathering. She had a lot of her cousins over and friends as well. Her family has a trend completely different from my family. There are a lot of dated, trendy names like [name]Amy[/name], [name]Heather[/name], [name]Jessica[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name], [name]Melissa[/name], [name]Karen[/name], etc. And all of the boys are [name]Bobby[/name] [name]Jr[/name]., [name]Ken[/name] [name]Jr[/name]., etc.

I was wondering if any one else has noticed that sometimes people are influenced by what their extended family picks for names. My mother admits that if she had named her child [name]Taylor[/name] or [name]MacKenzie[/name] or something, they’d feel left out in a family of Michaels, Anns and [name]Daniels[/name].

I dont really know if their is a trent in our family. All of our sexes are clear unless you count [name]Robin[/name] and [name]Perry[/name], both boys, but I never even knew they were considered unisex untill I came here.

We dont have really common names but nobody chose names to fit in the family. My [name]SIL[/name] is pregnand and I just know their children will have names with French origins, my other brother and his wife will most definatly have really dutch names but not too old. I am in love with English, somewhat unisex names. I wil not give my child a name to fit in with the rest of the family, the name must have meaning and i have to love it. I have never met a little [name]Finley[/name] or [name]Aidan[/name] or [name]Rowan[/name] or [name]Skye[/name] or [name]Riley[/name] or [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Alex/name or [name]Quinn[/name]. But I love every single one of them and here, nobody even knows theyre more common on boys or whatever. Theyll know [name]Finley[/name] is a girl and wont mistake her for a boy.

If you are insterested my family names are (cousins)
[name]Jenna[/name] and [name]Angela[/name]
[name]Brenda[/name], [name]Peter[/name], Martijn (like [name]Martin[/name] but pronounced a little different) and [name]Linda[/name]
[name]Hans[/name], [name]Anja[/name], [name]Saskia[/name]
[name]Leonard[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], [name]Jo[/name]-[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Bas[/name], [name]Ronald[/name] and [name]Suzanne[/name]

[name]Romano[/name], [name]Ricardo[/name], [name]Kevin[/name] and [name]Jeffrey[/name]
[name]Perry[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name], [name]Robin[/name] and [name]Rick[/name]. (Alot of R names)