Name you USED TO LOVE, now have aversion to?

I go through phases with names like us all. But some stick around for years.

My #1 baby name for SOOO long was [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. Now, it does nothing for me. Shocking since it was my favorite name in the world.

Not sure if its the surge in popularity, or the fact that I have a hard time saying it. I still think its very beautiful name, but I wouldn’t use it.

What names did you all fall out of love with?

I used to love [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] -now I’m meh about it.

[name_u]Emerson[/name_u] for a girl! I used to be in love with it and it was going to be my first daughters name. It even had a connection to my brother and dad so it was perfect. Not sure what changed. I still think it’s a beautiful name just doesn’t have the same spark it used to.

Also [name_m]Kaeden[/name_m] for a girl. I guess I went through a unisex name phase. I still really like [name_m]Kaeden[/name_m] and might use it as a middle but I noticed it was getting popular (different spellings) for boys so that’s what kind of turned me off from it.

[name_u]Jericho[/name_u]: I still adore this name however I hate all the nicknames so I would never use it. There is something else about it that makes me think a kid could never wear it well. It used to be my top choice for a boy tho.

[name_u]Keegan[/name_u] (for a boy): I used to love everything about this name, then I went to university and I met FOUR people with this name! I had no idea it was so popular and I wasn’t a huge fan of the people I met with this name. So I could never see myself naming my child [name_u]Keegan[/name_u] even though I still like it.

(Note: no hate on any of these names. I still think they are beautiful, handsome, nice names for any kid, they just aren’t my taste anymore)

I used to love [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] and [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]. But they’ve simply lost their luster for me. I definitely still think they are pretty names, but I wouldn’t consider using them.

[name_f]Eva[/name_f], it was my favourite girl’s name for a long time. It’s beautiful, but so many [name_f]Eve[/name_f] names now just makes it feel less special.

[name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] for boys. All very handsome, but not quite my style for real children anymore.

[name_m]Dennis[/name_m], it’s a fine name, but feels really blah to me nowadays. I’m also not a fan of [name_u]Denny[/name_u].

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f], I simply prefer its variants such as [name_f]Catalina[/name_f], and I’d go for the [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] spelling, I think.

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]!! I was in love with this name since middle school but it has become soooo popular that I wouldn’t want to use it and it lost its spark on me. Also same with [name_m]Leonardo[/name_m], it is just too overused and they would for sure be multiples in classes

Used to love [name_f]Anya[/name_f] because of [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] and the movie [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], but it’s just meh now.

I used to love [name_f]Lola[/name_f] but its popularity put me off. I still think its a beautiful name but its not really my style anymore either.

I am a daycare worker so many names are unusable because they remind me of a certain child. (good or bad)
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Ashton[/name_u]
[name_m]Austin[/name_m] (friend used it)
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_f]Christine[/name_f] (bad experience with a parent)
[name_f]Danielle[/name_f]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] (too popular)
[name_u]Evan[/name_u] (friend used this name)
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] (too popular)
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_u]Kyle[/name_u]
[name_f]Lauren[/name_f]
[name_m]Marshall[/name_m] (Paw Patrol)
[name_u]Mason[/name_u]
[name_f]Melody[/name_f] (just lost its appeal)
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]

Isis. I loved this name as a child. Nowadays it has very negative connotations. I also loved the name Lolita when I was a teenager and had no idea of the slang meaning.

I also adored the name Sophia when I was younger (when it was still fairly rare and mainly associated with a certain very glamorous actress) but it became incredibly popular and lost some of its magic for me.

Tate for a boy. It used to be in my top three, but now it doesn’t appeal to me. It’s kind of sad, because I really want to love it, but the spark is just gone now.

[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_f]Annette[/name_f]… I used absolutely swoon over these names. I wouldn’t say I’m adverse to them now, but they’re just meh even though pretty. It’s so weird, because I used to be so sure this is what I wanted to call my children haha. Funny how we change over time! :woman_shrugging:

I used to adore the names [name_m]Jake[/name_m] for a boy and [name_u]Shelby[/name_u] for a girl - then I almost married a [name_m]Jake[/name_m] who was awful and it turned out 2/3 Shelbys I knew were also awful, so it put me off.

I used to love [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] and definitely wanted to use it for a future son. I don’t hate it but I just don’t really like it anymore.

I used to like [name_f]Lola[/name_f], too, having heard it from a cartoon named [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] & [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. But it’s not my cup of tea now.

1 Like

I used to like [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]. But I had a very unpleasant encounter with a total creep named [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], and now the name’s forever ruined for my family and me.

Completely had the names [name_m]Willem[/name_m] & [name_m]William[/name_m] ruined. :frowning:

I used to love [name_u]Piper[/name_u], but it’s just fizzled out for me. Same with [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] for a boy, I still like it but there are other names that I’m more keen on these days. But I’m only truly averse to one name - [name_f]Christina[/name_f], which I liked growing up but then my brother dated a horrible [name_f]Kristina[/name_f] and now any spelling variation is ruined for me.