Nameberry Accent Challenge!

I get told that I have an accent a lot, but I don’t notice it. I thought it’d be fun to do an accent challenge. I made a Soundcloud account for Berries. https://soundcloud.com/

User name: Nameberrysound@gmail.com
Password: namenerd

[name_m]Just[/name_m] title the audio with your username and post the link here. Also put your state.

*If there is a different spelling for a word where you live, use the one you’re familiar with.

Pronounce the following words:
Aunt, Roof, Route, Theater, Iron, [name_u]Salmon[/name_u], Caramel, [name_m]Fire[/name_m], Water, [name_m]New[/name_m] Orleans, Pecan, [name_m]Both[/name_m], Again, Probably, [name_f]Alabama[/name_f], [name_m]Lawyer[/name_m], Coupon, Mayonnaise, Pajamas, Caught, Naturally, Aluminum*, Crackerjack, Doorknob, Envelope.

Questions:
What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
What is a bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think you have an accent?

My Answers:
Teepee
Soda
Sneakers
Grandma and Grandpa(to the person) Grandmother and Grandfather(when speaking about them)
Wagon and shopping cart. I say wagon more often.
Remote
No.

https://soundcloud.com/nameberryvoices/ikfly-at-new-york

2 Likes

I so want to do this but is it only going to work for Americans? I’d have to say ‘aluminium’ as that’s our word for it. Also, I like your accent :slight_smile:

EDIT:: Whatevs, I’m doing it anyway. :wink: And done. I had to say ‘pyjamas’ and ‘aluminium’ and for some reason it has me saying the last word twice… even though I only said it once…

Double Edit:: Mmk, I did a slower version.

Questions:

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?: Teepee? This is very American though. I don’t think it actually happens here so I only know what it is from seeing it in your films. I don’t think there’s an English word for it.
What is a bubbly carbonated drink called? Fizzy drink OR the suffix ‘ade’ lemonade, cherryade, orangeade. ‘ade’ denotes fizzy.
What do you call gym shoes?: Trainers.
What do you call your grandparents?: Granddad is the only one I have left. Formerly, Grandma, Nanna and Pop.
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?: Trolley.
What is the thing you change the TV channel with?: TV control.
Do you think you have an accent?: Not a regional one no. I have flat northern ‘a’s’ though. ‘ant’ instead of ‘aunt’ for example.

https://soundcloud.com/nameberryvoices/renrose

Sorry it sucks, I only have a webcam mic built into my laptop and it is poor.

Like ren I’m not American I’m Australian can I do it I say most of the words very differently.
[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I can’t work out how to upload when I do I will try it.

okay, this is really cool! how do I do it? Can I do it with my phone? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you do [name_m]Add[/name_m] to playlist or [name_m]Add[/name_m] to group?

I’ll do the second part for now until I figure out how to record my voice.

Edited to add my clip: Click

raised in [name_u]California[/name_u] USA, currently live in [name_f]Alaska[/name_f] USA

Questions:
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?

teepee
soda
gym shoes or tennis, sounds like ten knees
gima, grandpa, abuelita, abuelito is what I call them. When referring to them, usually grandma/grandpa or grandfather/grandmother
cart
remote
not at all, but the rest of the world does :smiley:

Fixed! I forgot there are different spellings for some words depending on where you live.

I really do have an accent. :o It’s not a very heavy one that most associated with [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_m]York[/name_m](from movies and tv shows). I used to have a bit of speech impediment, so I always associated how I speak with that.

It’s kind of fun comparing how I sound through my ears normally and how I sound recorded. It sounds so different.

@redwoodfey
You can do it on your phone if it’s a smartphone*. You have to download the app, but it’s free.
You can also upload from the computer if you have a microphone.

@emiliana
If you have a smartphone, tablet or a ipod, you can download the app from the app store for free. It’s really easy to record on one.

• [name_m]Just[/name_m] checked and you can record on your phone, send it to your email and upload on the computer. :slight_smile:

Ohh, that’s interesting. I never knew that. I haven’t done it or seen it so I only know about it from films also.

Ren and Ebony, I love your accents. :slight_smile:

Mined up.
I won’t write the questions as my phone makes that way to hard I’ll number them and put my answer:

1. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t think we have a word for that
  2. Cool drink
  3. Sneakers
  4. One set is grandma and grandad the other is nana and pop
  5. Trolley
  6. Remote.
  7. In Australia I don’t but I have a very aussie accent

Crikey, [name_f]Tabby[/name_f]'s voice! Some of those words she could almost pass for English : O Crackerjack is nearly identical to how I said it.

Well, I uploaded the recording, but for some reason, it’s not showing up in the queue. I knew I had an accent, but in the recording, I almost sound British when I say some words. Not quite what I was expecting. Though I should note that my accent changes when I’m tired or angry. My accent gets more drawn out the more tired I get, and I sound straight up redneck when I’m angry.

Questions:
Rolling or TP’ing.
Coke or Soft drink.
[name_m]Tennis[/name_m] shoes, except we tend to drop the ‘s’ in tennis.
Paternal grandparents are Grandma and Grandpa, maternal grandparents are Granny and Grandaddy. And Granny’s momma is Ouisa.
A buggy.
A remote.
I knew I had an accent, but it didn’t sound quite like I was expecting.

hmm, I did it on the phone app, and hit post, but I don’t see it posted. Can anyone tell me if they see mine? This is so interesting. I love hearing all your voices! I think this would be fun to do with names.

I’m not sure why the recordings aren’t showing there. I found both of your recordings when I went to ‘tracks’.
https://soundcloud.com/nameberryvoices/tracks

You guys have such pretty voices. I love putting a voice to your usernames. So cool. I think I sound really young.

I’m looking forward to doing this later but the word aluminum isn’t actually classed by scientists, officially/worldwide, as correct.

The Brits got Aluminium (vs. Aluminum) and the Yanks got Sulfur (vs. Sulphur) as the official spellings.

Indeed it would! Yes, yours is there!

All of your voices are so pretty! :slight_smile: And I’m envious of your sound quality. I might have another go tomorrow and record it with my mum’s iPad.

Precisely what I noticed! Lol. English though, not British :wink: It’s impossible to ‘sound British’.

I think I’ll be the first Canadian one! :smiley:

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: I’ve always wondered how my names would sound in English/Irish/Scottish accents, not sure why though. Perhaps its because I’m always attracted to men from [name_f]England[/name_f], [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] & [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] (sorry Welsh lads :P)

Oh good, it worked. I love all your accents. Haha. The [name_m]Pacific[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]West[/name_u] USA got robbed on accents. Honest, we don’t have one. :slight_smile: I agree that it’s wonderful to put a voice to your names and avatars. What a great idea ikfly.

Ooh, this thing tested me! Everyone sounds so sweet and feminine, and I sound so aggressive and scratchy. I had to record the thing about fifteen times over because my microphone wouldn’t pick my voice up. O.O

https://soundcloud.com/nameberryvoices/southern-maple-alabama

What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? to TP a house
What is a bubbly carbonated drink called? soda
What do you call gym shoes? tennis shoes
What do you call your grandparents? Grandma, Grandpa, [name_f]Nan[/name_f], Pop
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? buggy
What is the thing you change the TV channel with? remote
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think you have an accent? yeah, but I didn’t really hear it on the recording…

I like your voice, [name_f]Maple[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

Such a cool idea! It’s funny hearing you lot speak :stuck_out_tongue: Anyone else hate hearing their voice on recordings?!

https://soundcloud.com/nameberryvoices/charlieandperry1-south-west

Questions:
What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house? Never done this! :confused:
What is a bubbly carbonated drink called? Fizzy drink/pop
What do you call gym shoes? Trainers
What do you call your grandparents? Grandma, Grandad and Pops
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket? Trolley
What is the thing you change the TV channel with? Remote
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think you have an accent? Kind of. It’s southern English but gone a bit wrong.

I love how you said ‘pyjamas’, CopyandPaste! I hear a slight accent there :wink: Also yes, I hate hearing my voice.

[name_f]Glad[/name_f] I’m not the only one who noticed it. I always thought I sounded a little twangier than that. And sorry. I’ve always used ‘British’ and ‘English’ interchangeably. But I shall mend my ways :slight_smile: