Nameberry memes (Part 1)

There’s always that pang of guilt when you say you don’t like a name in rate the user card and then later in a new thread, that user says that the name is their favorite name ever, their future child’s name, so special to them.

14 Likes

When all 3 of the names I added to the “[name_u]Love[/name_u] Like Lose” game get out right away

14 Likes

Or when you find out it has huge sentimental value!

6 Likes

I sort of assume that with every name. Someone out there loves it or has a beloved relative with the name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] couch it very strongly in “for whatever reason, probably I’m a weirdo, but… I just can’t get into this name,”

4 Likes

Same! Unless I see a genuine issue with a name (concerning celebrity/historical association, sounds like a bad word, etc), I try to make it clear that although I’m not a fan, it’s still a perfectly good name.

2 Likes

Oh cool, another “Names you hate” thread where people can release all the tension they didn’t get out from last week’s version about [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f], -ayden names, popular names, and boy/nature names that have become unisex, or where they can feel unique for disliking berry favorites like [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and [name_m]Leo[/name_m].

Because no one’s feelings can be hurt by people ranting insults about their favorite names when those names are popular in real life or popular on this site…

5 Likes

Based on the OP’s post, I just thought the last one was made because she didn’t know there were previous names you hate threads which is why I mentioned it in my post. I think she joined less than a month ago and the other name hating threads had died since then.

3 Likes

I agree, although I did participate in the most recent one. Until recently, I wouldn’t even read them because I knew they’d upset me, but I’m pretty confident in my name opinions now so it doesn’t really bother me anymore. The titles do always indicate that it’ll be full of negative options, so it’s reasonable to assume some of, if not all of your favourites will be mentioned. If someone thinks their feelings may get hurt by reading through that thread, then I would assume they’d avoid reading it. Definitely think there’s too many threads for it, though. I’m sure it’s just because they didn’t realise there were already threads dedicated to it.

3 Likes

I just don’t think it’s productive to spread negativity. There’s a difference between saying, “I’m not a fan of the way [name_f]Margot[/name_f] sounds, it’s just not appealing to me” and “MARGOT IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST NAME, I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW PEOPLE LIKE IT!! IT LOOKS LIKE ‘MAGGOT’, PEOPLE, ARE YOU BLIND!?” The number of times I see these threads lean towards the second, is what I don’t like.

It’s the last thing I wrote that gets me the most. I don’t understand how people think a conversation that’s positive or beneficial will come out of insulting names that are popular in real life or on Nameberry. Those names are popular because a lot of people like them, meaning that it’s highly likely you’ll offend someone. And I don’t see how that’s creating a positive interaction.

8 Likes

I definitely agree with that! I always try to keep my statements about names I don’t like closer to the first kind you mentioned.

3 Likes

And on top of that, it’s so repetitive it has become predictable. If people at least posted names they personally dislike despite nothing being wrong with them (kind of like the opposite of guilty pleasures, where you know a name is a bad idea but still love it), then you’d get some variation. But saying [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] is unimaginative and siblings’ names that only differ by one letter impractical…? That has little to no value.
Someone please stop me before I start rambling about how proceeding everything with “unpopular opinion:” doesn’t make it controversial.

6 Likes

i couldn’t agree more. I have said a couple things in those threads but phrased it in a way that clearly shows its a matter of personal preference. ‘I’m not a huge fan of’, ‘I don’t really like’ etc. There’s a difference between having a debate and literally crushing every single poster who likes a name you don’t like.

5 Likes

@caramel107 I can see [name_f]Nanny[/name_f] as being connected to the [name_f]Anna[/name_f]/Hannah/Nancy names, but Daycare?? No idea :joy:

1 Like

Unpopular opinion, but I hate the names you hate threads :joy:

[actually, I’ve never been on them, but I think it’s fine- by clicking on the link, you accept what you’re about to read so there’s no value in complaining about it. If they really bother people, then just don’t read them]

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of “names you hate” threads either, but I do really like the hot takes/unpopular opinions thread because there’s a lot of “everybody seems to hate this name but I love it”, which I’d much rather see than the opposite “I hate this name everybody loves!”

7 Likes

same!!

(TOTALLY unbiased, it’s not like I MADE the Hot Takes thread or anything :grin:)

7 Likes

tbh, there’s still a lot of repetition on the hot takes thread- it’s not really a hot take to say that you hate [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m]- but I still like reading it.

2 Likes

(P.S. By ‘you’ I don’t mean you you, I mean people in general!)

1 Like

Hey guys, so I’m thinking [name_f]Molly[/name_f] for my third daughter- but our surname begins with P and P is 3 letters after M and 3 is the closest whole number to [name_m]Pi[/name_m] and my favorite type of pie is [name_f]Cherry[/name_f] and cherry in like mongolian or french or something is [name_f]Cerise[/name_f], which is our middle daughter’s name! [name_m]Will[/name_m] our oldest daughter, [name_f]Cheryl[/name_f], feel left out that [name_f]Cerise[/name_f] has such a similar name to the baby?

16 Likes

The beginning of the Hot Takes thread also started out as a name bashing fest. That’s why my “Hot Take” was defending a lot of the names that were unfairly attacked. I didn’t read it after that because I despise those threads (obviously) so I don’t know if it’s gotten better.

I do really enjoy the thread for names everyone hates but you love.

4 Likes