Nameberry memes (Part 1)

He has a good namesake :+1:

2 Likes

I just watched that movie yesterday!!! [name_m]Truman[/name_m] is such a sweet name. And I’m glad he’s not Spot lol

5 Likes

me with kit marlowe :pensive:

you and your dark royaltycore

I guess the difference is between emphasis
in amelia and emilia, the first syllable is completely unstressed, so comes out as “uh”
the “uh” sound is called a schwa (this bad boy: ə)
you can get “uh” from every vowel
leah
eden
[there’s almost certainly one with i, but I can’t think of it off the top of my head]
potato
capucine
zephyrine

10 Likes

me, examining every nearby thing with words for an example

would experiment work (in your accent)? assimilating? categorical?

4 Likes

same

1 Like

they do sometimes, but not always! it depends how carefully I’m speaking, but assimilate is almost always a ə sound!

1 Like

I pronounce them very differently, but it’s more because of the second syllable!

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] = uh-meel-ee-ah
[name_u]Emilia[/name_u] = eh-mill-ee-ah

5 Likes

I do technically use a different sound at the beginning for the names (uh & eh), but it sounds practically the same when said out loud.

7 Likes

I found this list on IMDb. “What to name your baby”. Some of them make sense, others are… questionable. https://www.imdb.com/list/ls076621625/?ref_=tt_rls_4

13 Likes

I was thinking “how can you create a baby name list on IMDb?” before opening it. Brilliant.

3 Likes

Wow, that must have taken so long for that person to compile. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

me, aged nine, when my mom informed me that [name_u]Sean[/name_u] was pronounced “shaun” and not “seen”

I hope this is the right thread for this meme :sweat_smile:

26 Likes

ugh :joy: same

2 Likes

Old Version:

Literally me with [name_m]Cassius[/name_m]. I pronounce it the British way, CASS-see-uhs. I asked my mom how she pronounces it, and she said CASH-us, the American way. Literally CRUSHED my heart. (Jk, not really, but you get the point.)

EDITED IT Y’ALL:
Literally me with [name_m]Cassius[/name_m]. I pronounce it the normal way, CASS-see-uhs. I asked my mom how she pronounces it, and she said CASH-us, the weird way. Literally CRUSHED my heart. (Jk, not really, but you get the point.)

11 Likes

I remember telling my mom how stupid I thought that was (I was little, didn’t quite understand the whole different language thing lol)

10 Likes

When a friend/relative steals one of your favorite names:
Image result for dont cry gif

15 Likes

same

1 Like

Is… is that how you guys think Americans say it?

6 Likes

Lol, I am American!

2 Likes

Then that makes even less sense :rofl:

7 Likes