Nameberry Popularity vs SSA Popularity

[name_m]Just[/name_m] thought this was interesting! I wanted to see how Nameberry’s most searched girl names compared to the names used most this year since the 2021 SSA name data came out today.

1. [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]: 173 to 124 (A big jump up in popularity!)
  2. [name_f]Luna[/name_f]: 14 to 11 (Almost to the top 10!)
  3. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]: 137 to 109 (Up! But not as dramatic)
  4. [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]: 390 to 321 (Up!)
  5. [name_f]Isla[/name_f]: 44 to 33 (Up! I personally believe [name_f]Isla[/name_f] will be top 10 someday)
  6. [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]: 528 to 516 (Up but only a little and still outside of the top 100! [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] seems much more popular among name lovers than the general parent population)
  7. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]: 22 to 15! (Up! And likely headed to the top 10 soon)
  8. [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]: 58 to 49 (Up!)
  9. [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]: 31 to 28 (Up a bit!)
  10. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]: 36 to 36 (No change but still quite popular)
  11. [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]: 702 to 737 (The only name on this list to actually decrease in popularity)
  12. [name_f]Iris[/name_f]: 127 to 107
  13. [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]: 6 to 4
  14. [name_u]Esme[/name_u]: 397 to 379 (Slightly up)
  15. [name_f]Freya[/name_f]: 178 to 152 (Up and the spelling [name_f]Freyja[/name_f] is up too)
  16. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]: 4 to 3
    17: [name_f]Violet[/name_f]: 37 to 35
  17. [name_f]Alice[/name_f]: 76 to 64
  18. [name_f]Clara[/name_f]: 103 to 102
  19. [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]: 414 to 288 (Up! Some credit should go to Bridgerton here)

So of the Nameberry top 20:

• 4 names made the US top 20: [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]

• 10 names made the US top 100: [name_m]Add[/name_m] [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f]

• 18 of the names increased in popularity (excluding [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] which stayed the same and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] which got less popular)

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this is interesting! I’d love to know some of your takeaways from the new US name data!

16 Likes

Interesting! [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] are on my shortlist so I’m pleased to see they’re not too popular / rising fast in the general population. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m kinda surprised at [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] going down on the list, since it fits with the [name_f]El[/name_f]- theme

This is very interesting!! Surprised by Elodies falling popularity, esepcially as it’s in the UK top 100 and gained 16 places last year

1 Like

I wonder if maybe the rankings are hiding a bit of the actual change? Maybe there were more Elodies born this year than last, but not to the degree of the names around it in the rankings

I always find this interesting! I might even do a top 10 comparison post myself.

1 Like

Good question! I just checked, [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] was given to 399 girls in 2020 and 384 girls in 2021. So 15 fewer baby girls named [name_f]Elodie[/name_f].

1 Like

I was surprised too! I expected that [name_f]Elodie[/name_f] was just getting started in 2020 and would be going way up in popularity. Especially since we love [name_f]El[/name_f]- names right now with [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], and [name_f]Elena[/name_f] all in the top 100.

1 Like

[name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f] are very popular in the UK, as is [name_f]Luna[/name_f], so they don’t really surprise me. [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] is steadily increasing in popularity, which is good for the name, not for me haha.
Interesting post!